Orlando, FL guys ... quick question

inthehole

Holly Sonders Caddie
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 11.5
I've got a 4 day trip with a few golfing buddies coming up in February in the Orlando area. We've rented a big townhouse in Champions Gate, FL. I'm a huge golfnow guy & there are a bunch of courses listed in the Orlando area (see below), but I'm shootin' totally blind. NOTE: The one thing above all else I'd like to avoid are courses just surrounded by condo's up and down the fairways - prefer courses with some scenery, not condos.

Just hoping for some golfnow recommendations (anything within an hours or so drive is fair game). We're on a budget - figure we'll play one $100 premium course, the rest around $50-60. Really appreciate any local knowledge on the best bang for the buck courses ... thx

attachment.php

Attachments

• orlando.JPG
    orlando.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
--bump--

Grand Cypress was a lot of fun IMO.

I've got a 4 day trip with a few golfing buddies coming up in February in the Orlando area. We've rented a big townhouse in Champions Gate, FL. I'm a huge golfnow guy & there are a bunch of courses listed in the Orlando area (see below), but I'm shootin' totally blind. NOTE: The one thing above all else I'd like to avoid are courses just surrounded by condo's up and down the fairways - prefer courses with some scenery, not condos.

Just hoping for some golfnow recommendations (anything within an hours or so drive is fair game). We're on a budget - figure we'll play one $100 premium course, the rest around $50-60. Really appreciate any local knowledge on the best bang for the buck courses ... thx

attachment.php

based on your criteria of wanting scenery and avoiding residential courses, you actually have a more good options listed than bad options, so i'll take some off and what is remaining will be solid options.

remove:
celebration
dewey's
grande vista
highland's reserve
hunter's creek
metrowest
mystic dunes
providence
stoneybrook west
windermere cc

i'm tempted to remove orange lake, but it's been awhile since i've played so my memory is a little fuzzy on that one. all the other courses fit the bill very well. i've not played any of the par 3 courses. i just played grand cypress n/s on friday, and while the greens were a little sandy it was in excellent shape for the ridonkulous price of $40. i've also not played championsgate cc yet, but it's supposed to be very nice.

if you have specific questions, let me know.

Find a deal on Waldorf Astoria

Grand cypress New course is definitely worth the price of admission

Grand cypress New course is definitely worth the price of admission
Agreed there. Hard to lose a ball also - its a really fun course.

+1. Just make sure to take a lot of golf balls haha

it's a very pretty golf course, and it's usually in very good shape. but for my money, the premium on length and VERY accurate driving places the course toward the bottom of my list of top tier courses in orlando. it can be too frustrating.

and one more observation for op: if you're considering the ritz i would call first. i heard that they have recently shut down one of the 9s for renovations. if that's still the case, it's not worth going out there.

I would go Orange County

Obviously Ritz, Championsgate and Waldorf, but those are likely not in your budget, especially not being a resident

All three disney courses are solid, but I'm not sure what they charge. You're entering peak season

I'm there in February @ the Omni Championsgate. Right now I have first tee time (7:20) on International so I can get a fast round in and get back to Mrs. JMN57. Anybody have thoughts on how Waldorf stacks up to International?

I got a pretty good rate for my tee time ($109) as you can book that when you make the hotel reservation.

I would go Orange County

Obviously Ritz, Championsgate and Waldorf, but those are likely not in your budget, especially not being a resident

All three disney courses are solid, but I'm not sure what they charge. You're entering peak season

And I would put Championsgate pretty far behind the other two and Grand Cypress.

I'm there in February @ the Omni Championsgate. Right now I have first tee time (7:20) on International so I can get a fast round in and get back to Mrs. JMN57. Anybody have thoughts on how Waldorf stacks up to International?

I got a pretty good rate for my tee time ($109) as you can book that when you make the hotel reservation.

it's been about 6 months since i've been to championsgate so not sure how it's playing now (i think wardy and freddie played it recently). personally i really dig the courses. difficult but fun. i like grand cypress, but given my druthers i'd pick cg every time. waldorf is very nice, but it exposes the weakest parts of my game so i personally shy away. i think you'll really enjoy cg.

Greens on the international had some fire in them, despite not looking like they would. They made Freddie and I look pretty stupid. Might just be me, but if I saw an affordable tee time for Grand Cypress I'd jump all over it with no hesitation!

Celebration is in great shape and is affordable. Grand cypress is awesome but you have to get lucky to get a low rate. Championsgate has two great courses. Waldorf is great but rates can be high. Orange County national is a great track. Southern dunes is awesome.

Orlando, FL guys ... quick question

And I would put Championsgate pretty far behind the other two and Grand Cypress.

Really? In his price range of a $100 round. Choices are slim that time of year for low cost rounds

Really? In his price range of a $100 round. Choices are slim that time of year for low cost rounds

Normally I agree, but prices seem low this year.

Falcons Fire is a nice wide open course. Shingle Creek and any of the Disney courses Palm or Magnolia

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks guys - appreciate the intel

Normally I agree, but prices seem low this year.

Any tips for how to secure a lower cost round at a place like Grand Cypress? I'll be down in Orlando in Feb and I can't find much for lower than $150 unless it is quite late in the afternoon.

Any tips for how to secure a lower cost round at a place like Grand Cypress? I'll be down in Orlando in Feb and I can't find much for lower than $150 unless it is quite late in the afternoon.

No idea. But man that shows me what a great deal our THP Events done there were.

As you get close there will usually be some deals on places like Golfnow, but that is in the heart of the most expensive time of the year, and deals have gotten much harder to come by now that the economy is doing so much better.

As you get close there will usually be some deals on places like Golfnow, but that is in the heart of the most expensive time of the year, and deals have gotten much harder to come by now that the economy is doing so much better.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Only thing I have going for me it seems is that we are trying to play Wed.

follow them on Twitter, and "like" 'em on Facebook. When I played there (GC) last year, I paid about 125-139 and was paired up with a couple who had gotten Facebook/Twitter deal for $88 AND that included lunch!!

Last edited:
I would go Orange County

I second OCN. Great place for 36 holes. I like all the Disney courses too. You can also get 36 at the same place with Magnolia and the Palms

Back