Other balls that launch lower like Titleist AVX?

jhd12

Reaction score
Handicap
I suffer from "too high" launch from the tee box. And I know it's the indian, not the arrow. Played with a friend last week who was playing Titleist AVX, he said it brought his ball flight down a bit. He gave me a ball and suggested I try it. He gave me the ball at the turn, so I only used it for 9 holes (6 "driver" holes) and it seemed to bring my ball flight down a bit.

So now I'm thinking that my choice of ball could improve my "too high" launch, or a bad choice could make it even worse.

Two questions: Any other balls that I should consider that may lower my ball flight a bit like the AVX? And what kinds of balls should I absolutely avoid, that are designed to produce higher ball flight?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Chrome Soft
Bridgestone Tour B RX
Immediately come to mind.

I agree with @JB. Both of those are great. I love the Bridgestone Tour B-RX.

If you ever see a posting for ball fitting clinics I really suggest doing what you can to attend. It's very interesting to see how the different balls react and feel, back to back in a controlled environment.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Another vote for Tour B RX

The Callaway Hex Tour Soft sold by Costco is also a lower launch ball. I have also been told by someone who really knows that the Superhot would be comparable to that ball as well.

The AVX is more than just launch. When I compare it on a LM the AVX has considerably lower spin then ProV1, Chromesoft, and TP5. At least for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's very interesting and I struggle with a high ball flight myself. What is it about a golf ball that produces a lower flight? Is it the dimple pattern maybe?

It seems to me that the launch angle is what it is, and all balls are necessarily going to start off on the same trajectory assuming the swing is the same. My assumption is that what we'd want a ball to address is the flight pattern after launch, further assuming that the launch trajectory is static across any ball.

I'd be very interested in learning what technology is employed to lower ball flight, and then trying out balls that incorporate that technology.

Any of the softer compression balls will do the trick.

That's very interesting and I struggle with a high ball flight myself. What is it about a golf ball that produces a lower flight? Is it the dimple pattern maybe?

It seems to me that the launch angle is what it is, and all balls are necessarily going to start off on the same trajectory assuming the swing is the same. My assumption is that what we'd want a ball to address is the flight pattern after launch, further assuming that the launch trajectory is static across any ball.

I'd be very interested in learning what technology is employed to lower ball flight, and then trying out balls that incorporate that technology.
The way that I understand it is that softer ball will compress more and sort of stick to the face and then spring off, whereas a harder ball will compress less and slide up the face of the club for an instant before it launches. Thats supposedly what makes a softer ball launch lower.

The way that I understand it is that softer ball will compress more and sort of stick to the face and then spring off, whereas a harder ball will compress less and slide up the face of the club for an instant before it launches. Thats supposedly what makes a softer ball launch lower.
Thanks for sharing - again, I'm way behind on technology. I haven't had good experiences with the softer balls (and by soft, I'm assuming they are lower compression?). They seem to launch quickly off the driver face and then fall quickly, resulting in a loss of distance. And they also seem to hold poorly on approach shots. I shouldn't generalize though as it is only the Callaway Chromesoft and Bridgestone Treosoft I've hit so far.

I agree with JB, as a high ball hitter, I roll with chromesoft and bridgestone rx for premium balls. Something like Duo optix or superhot for ionomer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing - again, I'm way behind on technology. I haven't had good experiences with the softer balls (and by soft, I'm assuming they are lower compression?). They seem to launch quickly off the driver face and then fall quickly, resulting in a loss of distance. And they also seem to hold poorly on approach shots. I shouldn't generalize though as it is only the Callaway Chromesoft and Bridgestone Treosoft I've hit so far.
Whether you believe it or not, theres was a ball test done earlier this year that show softer balls to be slower than harder balls. I guess the thinking would be that with a really low compression ball you are losing some distance because some of the energy of the impact is absorbed by the ball compressing so much.
Now, even then we're only talking a few MPH ball speed, so I doubt its something many of us would notice but its there.
What you are seeing in reduced carry distance and reduced ability to hold a green could be due somewhat to the fact that softer balls tend to give lower spin than harder balls do. Again, not a huge difference but a difference.
You may just not like soft golf balls. They are popular right now because people with slower swing speeds like the way they feel and like the feeling of being able to compress the ball. I'll admit that Im in that group. I was playing the Wilson Duo for most of this year and really enjoyed the way it felt.

Whether you believe it or not, theres was a ball test done earlier this year that show softer balls to be slower than harder balls. I guess the thinking would be that with a really low compression ball you are losing some distance because some of the energy of the impact is absorbed by the ball compressing so much.
Now, even then we're only talking a few MPH ball speed, so I doubt its something many of us would notice but its there.
What you are seeing in reduced carry distance and reduced ability to hold a green could be due somewhat to the fact that softer balls tend to give lower spin than harder balls do. Again, not a huge difference but a difference.
You may just not like soft golf balls. They are popular right now because people with slower swing speeds like the way they feel and like the feeling of being able to compress the ball. I'll admit that Im in that group. I was playing the Wilson Duo for most of this year and really enjoyed the way it felt.
My buddy loves his Callaway Supersofts and he has a slower swing speed. When my dad was alive, he was delighted with the Precept Laddie when it first came out. We grew up on Titleist Balata black (100-compression) and red (90-compression); even back then they had a Low Traj and a High Traj version. I've pretty much slept thorough the latest technological innovations related to compression/softness in golf balls. Now that I'm moving back to the States for a while, I plan to get educated on club and ball technology.

My buddy loves his Callaway Supersofts and he has a slower swing speed. When my dad was alive, he was delighted with the Precept Laddie when it first came out. We grew up on Titleist Balata black (100-compression) and red (90-compression); even back then they had a Low Traj and a High Traj version. I've pretty much slept thorough the latest technological innovations related to compression/softness in golf balls. Now that I'm moving back to the States for a while, I plan to get educated on club and ball technology.
Supersofts are a good ball for someone with a slower swing speed who likes the feel of a softer ball. Ive tried them in the past and they were OK. Ive never been a huge fan of Callaway balls. I did like the Warbird but the rest of their balls that Ive tried were just kind of meh. I tend to prefer Titleist, Bridgestone or Srixon when it comes to balls. To each their own though.

Just curious, but how do you know the flight is too high? Did you get better distance with the AVXs? Did a launch monitor verify launch / spin is too high?

Most amateurs hit the ball too low and need launch for best distance. If you need lower ball flight, best of luck finding something that works!

Dave

Another thing that will help with launch is getting fitted. Before my fitting I hit my 7 iron 40 yards high and after I hit it closer to 30. My driver was an even bigger difference. Especially in regards to backspin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back