Other player's equipment

Beware the player who shows up with a set of Ping Eye 2 irons and a newish driver and set of FW.

Only two things right now:
1624752612246.jpeg
And:
1624752676864.jpeg

I don't lust any more. I did. I have however answer 1,000 questions about copper King Tour irons since I've had them. I've always wanted to own a high end putter instead of a main stream every day release style. I get one soon.

constantly looking at something new which is unfortunate since I do like what I have.

It is too hard to find a combination that works for ME. Now that I have a set that I like I don’t care what anyone else is playing with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naw, not really. I mean I can appreciate the gear in another player's bag but 90+% of the time it's facing the wrong direction for me so it doesn't capture my imagination.

I don't know that I lust after other people's equipment, but I definitely notice and look at what people have. I love talking clubs with people I meet out there.

I think the sound draws my attention more than look of something unless I'm right next to their bag. Certain favorites I can spot by their sound and I have to stifle the...

Yes, for both new and old equipment.

Any time a friend shows up with new clubs they know I'm going to look at them. I usually end up looking up all the specs online when I get home.

At a course in my hometown there's a good chance I'll see some classic clubs each time I go there. Recently saw a guy with Ping Eye 2 irons. Clubs like those are equally as interesting to me.

yeah, drivers, irons, whatever I can find cause my clubs are old. I just like to look at them and see what they are, see the design, see how far they go.

My son just switched to New Level 902 Forged irons after seeing they scored well in testing 2 years in a row. His first three rounds with them resulted in 13/18, 12/18, and 15/18 GIRs. He’s making me want to try a set. Though, I know it’s more him than the clubs.

I also love Newport/2 style Scotty Cameron putters. I just can’t bring myself to pay $400+ for a putter.

I don't tend to lust after others' clubs, just because I'm a lefty so I tend to not even look more often that not, just knowing I can't hit them. I do lust after some of the new gear coming out though, especially putters.

As much as I like New things, While I will admire someones new clubs but I am happy with mine for the most part
and taking a close look at some of the new gear I also know its not for me!

I only perk up and start looking if I hear a few different irons. I could care less about anything in somebody's bag except irons.

No not really, maybe a Driver here or there but I'm happy with mine. Though I did lust after Cleveland CBX wedges for a bit until my wife told me to stop and just get them. Really love that girl, she said the same thing when I got my Triumph.

When you get paired, or play with someone new...do you find yourself lusting after their equipment?

I usually do not, but for some reason every time I play with someone who has Apex irons in the bag...I obsess over them for a couple of weeks.

I've never hit them, but something about them makes them attractive to me. And I love my irons.

Is there a club/clubs that get in your head like this? What is it?
Nah, but I do tend to start a conversation on it, mainly because it usually leads to them asking me all sorts of questions about gear from general design to fit to tech. Conversations I love and have a pretty decent knowledge base got given my bad ass job here at THP.

Nah, but I do tend to start a conversation on it, mainly because it usually leads to them asking me all sorts of questions about gear from general design to fit to tech. Conversations I love and have a pretty decent knowledge base got given my bad ass job here at THP.
Yeah, I guess you know a thing or two. :ROFLMAO:

I don't pay much attention unless the person is good then I take notice to everything they do including equipment. Maybe the best lesson on this matter I've recieved was about 30 years ago playing a club in the Indianapolis area. One of the guys in our group had a rag tag bag of irons where I think every iron was a different brand or model. I thought to myself how in the world did someone get a set of irons like that. In hindsight, I guess economics.

The only reason I noticed the guys unique set was that he broke par and absolutly hit the ball like he did it most times out. I wish I could watch him play again now because clearly he had a great swing and his clubs were not aiding him much.

Nah, why do I want to see a guy outdrive me with a 10 yr old $50 driver with me having an $800 driver/shaft in the bag?

I'll see it anyway but ignore it.

I play left handed. Because of this I have a different take.

What is in 90% of other player's bags doesn't interest me. Two reasons: I can't try out their clubs AND I have learned the value of getting fitted.

When I do engage another player with what is in their bag, I'm more interested in HOW they decided on these clubs. Did they see shiny objects on some retailer or online site and had to have them? Did they act on someone's recommendation that make/model is awesome and bought them based on that? Did they get in a bay and have some retailer bring out two clubs, or maybe a handful, swing them and chose based on that experience? Did a buddy build something for them? Did they get fitted? Was it a manufacturer's fitting, and online fitting, a fitting with a handful of options? Was it a brand agnostic fitting? What was the process and options?

Now if it's a left hander's bag things change. Left handed players don't have the options the rest of you have to try equipment. Go to most retailers and compare the options for left handers vs. right handers on the rack, in the demo rack. The difference is dramatic. So we generally are much more interested in trying out the clubs in each other's bags and more accommodating when someone wants to do so, because we all understand the problem.

I was playing with a guy today who had irons with black heads. Out of curiosity I took a look at one of them on the green while he was putting and it was a Warrior iron. I guess some people DO play those still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always take a look at what others have in their bag, most of the time it’s not anything mind-blowing, but I enjoy talking gear with anyone who wants to discuss it. If I see someone with something unique or relatively new, I’ll usually ask them about it. I’m also a lefty. If I see another lefty I absolutely take a peek, and have on occasion offered to let them try my clubs if they are interested.

Back