Realisticlally there should just be 4 16 team conferences. Make each conference 2 8 team divisions. Win your division, you play for the conference title against the other side of your bracket. If you win that you move on to the 4 team playoff for the Natty (winners of the 4 major conferences).

Gives teams 7 conference games, then you can schedule 5 non conference games however you see fit, keeps the money in the top schools (which is what is going to happen anyway) and whoever draws the pac 12 champ basically has a bye into the national championship (I say this as a Pac guy, we suck compared to all the other conferences). Also makes it so you can schedule big out of conference games and if you lose, who cares, you just have to win your division to have a chance for the Chip.

It’s happening and appears the votes are there (minus Aggies 😂). $$$ impact would be huge for everyone. Looks to be well past smoke….fire has been started. Bring the popcorn in.

It’s happening and appears the votes are there (minus Aggies 😂). $$$ impact would be huge for everyone. Looks to be well past smoke….fire has been started. Bring the popcorn in.
Texas has already been making more than everyone in the big12 and SEC for years. Maybe this time it'll lead to wins though. 🤷‍♂️

Texas has already been making more than everyone in the big12 and SEC for years. Maybe this time it'll lead to wins though. 🤷‍♂️
The move absolutely has to do with football operations and gains. As far as wins, we can’t win the Big 12 anyways so what’s the harm? 😂

I wonder if the SEC goes with East / West divisions or 4 pods of 4. The pods create a lot of scheduling flexibility and allow the schools to get away with playing as few as 7 conference games. The SEC already benefits from playing 4 non-con's a season, this would just extend that by 1 game.

I wonder if the SEC goes with East / West divisions or 4 pods of 4. The pods create a lot of scheduling flexibility and allow the schools to get away with playing as few as 7 conference games. The SEC already benefits from playing 4 non-con's a season, this would just extend that by 1 game.

I like the pod idea, but how do you handle the conference championship? A 4 team playoff for the conference would be insane before a 12-team FBS playoff.

I like the pod idea, but how do you handle the conference championship? A 4 team playoff for the conference would be insane before a 12-team FBS playoff.

Also Texas wouldn’t have the same clout in the SEC as they do in the Big 12... We aren’t going to allow The Longhorn Network... TLN is DOA if they join.
This is absolutely true. The Longhorn Network is the sole reason the Big 12 still exists.

That’s what you are hanging your hat on?
Nope - a ton of those wins came against Missouri anyway. I'm all for this if it happens - OU has had a few overmatched losses against LSU, when they had arguably the best team in college football history, and Alabama. Other than those we've more than held our own.

Hot take incoming:

These power conference schools have so much money there’s no point in regional conferences for football. Let’s just have a national conference with promotion/relegation.
Ooo! I like it! Just like the soccer leagues across the pond!

I think there's an argument to be made that in the future college playoff world conference championships don't matter.

I think that is exactly how it will look.

How would you handle scheduling? Teams playing the teams their division is a given. Play 3 out of the other division every year and play the remaining 2 with an extra non-con game in the third year?

i love this. those two programs would be great for the sec, and i think it would only make those two teams even stronger than they already are. win win, i don't really see a downside.

I love that it’s becoming more and more apparent that ole A&M leaked this :LOL:

I read this whole thread and came away thinking "Damn, I really miss Live PD and its coverage of Oklahoma".

Last edited:
I think there's an argument to be made that in the future college playoff world conference championships don't matter.

Agree with you 100%. Conference Championships won't matter. It's inevitable that the playoff expands and multiple teams from the same conference will likely be in the playoff.

Agree with you 100%. Conference Championships won't matter. It's inevitable that the playoff expands and multiple teams from the same conference will likely be in the playoff.
For the SEC it will be in school's/conference's best interests to not have conference championship games. No reason to give one of their 2 top teams an extra loss...without the extra loss the school is almost guaranteed to land a spot in the expanded playoff system.

The ACC guys might be able to address this but I've heard that South Carolina may have approached the ACC about joining. If that is true, and it happened, that would create some alignment issues, depending on who might take that 16th spot.

I love that it’s becoming more and more apparent that ole A&M leaked this :LOL:

What a shocker right? Is OU/UT joining the SEC the nightmare scenario for the Aggies?

The ACC guys might be able to address this but I've heard that South Carolina may have approached the ACC about joining. If that is true, and it happened, that would create some alignment issues, depending on who might take that 16th spot.
Whatever it takes to get rid of BC and Syracuse.

I wouldn't hate OU joining the SEC, but I'll be damned if I ever start/join an S-E-C chant unironically.
You read my mind, Arkansas and Missouri fan rest their hat on chanting SEC…

What a shocker right? Is OU/UT joining the SEC the nightmare scenario for the Aggies?
Absolutely it is, and they know it.

👀

Back