JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
So we got our new smoker up and running and giving it a test run before smoking ribs tomorrow night. Here is a quick picture. It is paired with our grill we have had for about a year.

550286086_EudeG-M.jpg

550287360_6vnE8-M.jpg

You have your own smoker? Oh my god am I jealous. Put a staff bag next to that thing and I will officially hate you. Seriously, though, looks awesome JB, enjoy those ribs. There is nothing better that properly done slow smoked pork.

• Admin
Agreed. We just bought it yesterday and are excited. After researching quite a bit, we went with propane like our grill. It was fairly inexpensive at less than $150 and if it works as good as it smells right now, we will be in heaven.

We have no idea what we are doing, we just threw some chicken on for a test run. I am not sure it will taste any good but man does it smell good out there!

• Admin
So for our test run we decided to go with some chicken breasts. Now normally skinless, boneless, chicken breasts are not ideal for the smoker because the lack of fat, but these were darn good. I was pretty blown away with just how juicy they were and the smoke flavor along with the rub I mixed up earlier turned out delicious. Here is a picture. We are looking forward to the ribs tomorrow.

550314616_5Lf2x-M.jpg

:D Sorry JB, but it isn't real lol. Coming from a Texas boy a smoker is not real if run off propane. lol :D

However the chicken does look good.

• Admin
We researched forever Tex and many of the traditionalists are even going to propane now. Too fast and even not to...hehe

Josh, are posting from a camera phone? Your golf show pictures are so nice whereas these...well let's just say aren't as nice.

haha. Yeah these are from my Blackberry. My golf stuff is with my Nikon DSLR, didnt have time to bring that out for quick random worthless shots...hehe

When you're smoking, just remember the immortal words of William Clinton Jefferson: "I DID smoke, but I did NOT inhale!"

(You thought I was going to say, "I did NOT HAVE SEX with that woman" didn't you?)

I have to admit, I did. Just made me spit my wine out.

We researched forever Tex and many of the traditionalists are even going to propane now. Too fast and even not to...hehe

No gas piped into homes in your neck of the woods? Gas line to the grill is fabulous.

We have a gas stove. However it would be a major overhaul to run it to our patio since it comes from the other direction. Propane tanks cost next to nothing thank goodness.

we're still working on doing that Claire. It will be nice not to have to go buy propane and lug around the tank. Not that it's a big deal, but still.

we're still working on doing that Claire. It will be nice not to have to go buy propane and lug around the tank. Not that it's a big deal, but still.

Gas grill, three gas fireplaces (the one in the living room still burns wood)--makes life very easy. If not sybaritic.

Gas grill, three gas fireplaces (the one in the living room still burns wood)--makes life very easy. If not sybaritic.

Antibiotics will clear that right up.

You don't have a gas stove and oven? We have that, gas heat and gas water heater. No fireplaces in this house.

Antibiotics will clear that right up.

Main Entry: syb·a·rite Pronunciation: \ˈsi-bə-ˌrīt\ Function: noun Date: circa 1555 1 [from the notorious luxury of the Sybarites] : voluptuary, sensualist2capitalized : a native or resident of the ancient city of Sybaris
— syb·a·rit·ic \ˌsi-bə-ˈri-tik\ adjective
— syb·a·rit·i·cal·ly \-ti-k(ə-)lē\ adverb
— syb·a·rit·ism \ˈsi-bə-ˌrī-ˌti-zəm\ noun
You don't have a gas stove and oven? We have that, gas heat and gas water heater. No fireplaces in this house.

Gas cooktop, electric ovens. The main house was built in 1916--lots of fireplaces, but built for coal, so they're mostly too shallow to burn wood. It was easier to convert them to gas. I love having a fire going in the bedroom when I'm getting ready in the morning.

Was this who gave you your research information?:

hank+bbq.jpg

Nice smoker JB. I keep saying im going to get one some day.

Im with Claire on how awesome a gas bbq is.

Enjoy your new smoker. Take a rack of ribs, rub them with brown sugar, butter, and a little garlic. Smoke them for 12 hrs at 175 degrees. Enjoy.

. Take a rack of ribs, rub them with brown sugar, butter, and a little garlic. Smoke them for 12 hrs at 175 degrees. Enjoy.
I second that, brown sugar is a must on ribs.

So for our test run we decided to go with some chicken breasts. Now normally skinless, boneless, chicken breasts are not ideal for the smoker because the lack of fat, but these were darn good. I was pretty blown away with just how juicy they were and the smoke flavor along with the rub I mixed up earlier turned out delicious. Here is a picture. We are looking forward to the ribs tomorrow.

550314616_5Lf2x-M.jpg

I don't care if that is a bad pic of chicken or not man those suckers look delicious JB !!!!

Back