Smokers need to use a nut bearing wood. I'm partial to pecan, but I also like walnut, hickory and mesquite. Apple wood will add some interesting flavor too. I like a firebox type for most stuff, but having a smoke cabinet can sure produce some fantastic stuff.

Managing a small cabinet smoker like that is nice and simple. I'm assuming that you're using smoker chips, or the compressed wood chips with the propane then JB?

That chicken does look delicious.

Smokers need to use a nut bearing wood. I'm partial to pecan, but I also like walnut, hickory and mesquite. Apple wood will add some interesting flavor too. I like a firebox type for most stuff, but having a smoke cabinet can sure produce some fantastic stuff.

Managing a small cabinet smoker like that is nice and simple. I'm assuming that you're using smoker chips, or the compressed wood chips with the propane then JB?

If you cannot find applewood you can quarter an apple and put it in the water pan. Coupled with hickory you will have a very tasty smoke.

Thanks for all the tips guys. We use wood chunks rather than chips based on research, but both will work well. You are right GB, it is quick and easy. Comes up to 220 in about 2 minutes and that is where I have always liked to smoked food at. I have made my own rub for grilling forever, so I love the spicy flavor.

JB...when are you having me over for ribs and a soak in the hot tub?

Ribs maybe...Asking to soak in the tub with me is a tad bizarre...hehe

Ribs maybe...Asking to soak in the tub with me is a tad bizarre...hehe

I didnt mean it like that...haha. you weirdo

Taste the meat, not the heat!

JB, Nickent may be King of Hybrids, but you are truly the king of cooking appliances.

Thanks WSE. We both really like to cook.

Baby Back Ribs off the smoker
551169097_Ni83J-M.jpg

I thought this was going to be a thread about WSE! hehehe

Very nice. I would have went with charcoal over gas though. There is nothing like the flavor you get from charcoal.
Gas is less of a hassle though.
I used to have a Brinkman smoker that ran on charcoal or wood and that thing was amazing. The meat came out so tender and tasted so good, plus the smokestack looked pretty cool.

Back