Outdoor pump to prevent flooding garage?

oiler3535

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all, looking for a pro or experienced house owner's help. We had our house inspection and besides a few small things the main issue was basement flooding. With where it is, the driveway (and yard) slopes down to the garage door. Regrading isn't possible. If too much water comes it goes into the garage, which is slightly sloped toward the garage door. However, we know for a fact a few years ago it flooded the entire basement with a few inches of water during a massive storm (which Occasionally happen). They say they installed heated pipes from the drains added outside the garage door at the lowest point (not a full across trench but 3 connected boxes across---no low areas nearby to run them to). However, I'm dubious and have trust issues anyway. So, question:

if I dig a hole to the side and add a sump pump for non-winter times (obviously wouldn't work in freezing conditions), and pump away, do we thing that's a reasonable safety measure? Pump would only have to go about 4 feet up and a few feet away where the eaves drain into a 4 inch pipe far enough away to find a ditch. I love everything about the house except this worry. Or I could have the pump in the garage and just run hoses to the drain box and out, but then have to figure out an automatic switch.

Interesting problem. If I read this right, and if I were in your situation, I would want the sump pump to run only when there was a high water level. At all other times, let gravity/nature take its course. Otherwise, your sump pump will be running most of the time pumping out a natural low spot in your area. I would install a dry well deep enough to facilitate normal/natural drainage, and then place a sump pump with a float switch so that the pump runs whenever the level gets to a high enough point that you want to pump it away. I would start there.

That's what I was thinking. Put a dry well next to the normal drainage holes, and only when it's a hard melt/rain will the dry well fill up and turn on the outdoor sump.

Hmmm. The realtor says the drainage is all new and has been scoped to ensure it's not blocked up. Have to decide by tomorrow if it worries me enough to not buy. House and especially the location is amazing.

After seeing a couple of friends with this same scenario and issues and all the problems they had, I would look to a different house.
If you are set on this house, I would talk to your insurance agent before you sign any papers.

Buy a new house, preferably on higher ground, may just be your best solution to this problem.

Might have an opportunity to see here. Between yesterday and today/night we're getting about 5 inches of rain, if not more. Going to have our realtor go take a picture of garage and basement in the morning. If no flooding, it's not going to happen if we maintain the weeping tiles.

Buy a new house, preferably on higher ground, may just be your best solution to this problem.

It may be. And we're seriously thinking and using our full time. But it's an amazing location and all but this issue are golden.

If a new house isn't on the list and you can't regrade, then go with a sump pump and have it run when water hits a certain level. Put a battery back up on it in case your lose power in a storm. I has this issue occur with a similar description and it was a nightmare. Ended up selling the house. Good luck.

We have a pump in our backyard when it rains. Turns into a pond in back yard. Have 4 holes in yard that lead to pump and it pumped into house gutter system that lead to street. Without it, I wouldn't want to know what it would look like

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

We've had a really fast thaw so ground is still saturated, and then got 3 inches of rain and checked the garage/basement the next day and bone dry. Yay.

Back