Over the top -Need Help

Brucem609

Rum Afficianado
Reaction score
Handicap
So here goes
I play fairly well, I am a 10 handicap generally in the low 80’s
I have a pretty decent swing overall, except when that over the top move happens.
I know why it happens-Start my downswing with my arms. But for some reason it creeps into the swing every so often.
Like yesterday. Moving along at a decent round and WHAM- out of no where duck hook left!
What type of training aid is out there to get rid of this habit. I have the plane mate and when I am on that it helps. But I can’t do the protocols every day.
anybody have or used anything in the past?
I have the orange whip also but for some reason it just does not connect well for me
Thanks in advance

Usually there is more to OTT than just starting your downswing with your arms. It can be a lot of things, but I do know the body does the opposite on the downswing that it did on the backswing. So if you have a shallow backswing, the body is naturally going to correct and do the opposite and come OTT. I struggled with this bad and still do from time to time, but I have made a recent swing change that was a game changer. Without really seeing a video, or having someone diagnose your swing, it's going to be hard to figure out what the cause is from.

I have a bad habit of hitting some fades/slices with my driver, however I kept thinking it was an OTT move and after some time I have realized it isn't. For me it is simply a shoulder change (probably an inch or less) left shoulder pointer further toward the right and left shoulder back that affects my path to be more inside keeping the club head better squared. Another thing that has helped me is to focus on club through and moving to the right as I go through. That seems to force me to hit better, but again I cannot seem to keep doing that.

The challenge for me is that I simply cannot get that slightly in to out path ingrained in my swing in a consistent manner with the driver. Irons are great and my woods are so much more consistent. I can come home and swing the driver a thousand times hitting balls in my practice area and still go back to the course and not get it right. I have to figure out how to make that a constant swing for me. In my case I think it is more positional than anything.

As another post stated a video would be the best way to get more details of what might be happening.

Bruce,
Yours is an age old
So here goes
I have a pretty decent swing overall, except when that over the top move happens.
I know why it happens-Start my downswing with my arms. But for some reason it creeps into the swing every so often.
Like yesterday. Moving along at a decent round and WHAM- out of no where duck hook left!
What type of training aid is out there to get rid of this habit. I have the plane mate and when I am on that it helps. But I can’t do the protocols every day.
I have the orange whip also but for some reason it just does not connect well for me
Thanks in advance
Bruce,
Yours is an age old problem that millions of players struggle with . I assume you already know that the club must be pulled down from the inside to keep from going OTT. Here is what causes that and how to stop it —- if the rotation of the shoulders begin to rotate before the HANDS drop down and back that movement is so powerful that your the HANDS and ARMS will have no choice but to be pushed outward with them - OTT . The first move from the top / end of your BS to begin the DS * must * a drop down and back movement of the hands and arms or you will never get into what Ben Hogan coined what he called , * the slot *.
I liken this move to chopping a log laying on the outside of you left foot. You will feel as if you are PULLING /LEADING the hosel of the face with the BUTTS of you hands . You can easily see the great players performs this task if you closely observe. No audio . No analysis . Use your own skills of observation.
Good luck .

So here goes
Thanks in advance

Back