Over the Top (the kind without Sylvester Stallone)

Dan McClellan

Reaction score
Handicap
As I get back into the game of golf I notice one of the fundamental problems I've managed to keep hidden in my swing all these years is the tendency to come over the top, producing a fade or pull, depending on my release. After filming myself I notice I have a pretty flat swing and my backswing moves inside immediately. I'm trying to produce a steeper backswing and start my backswing more on plane or even in front of the plane, but progress is slow. Has anyone in here had or witnessed this kind of problem, and what tips have you heard/tried to remedy it (whether or not they have worked)?

I have fought an over the top move, and I think a lot of golfers do. What has helped me is focusing on twisting my torso on the takeaway rather than pulling the club away with my arms. In addition, starting my downswing with a bump of my left hip and letting my hips drive my swing clears my left hip and opens enough space for my hands to come down underneath my shoulder. In addition, I try to feel like I'm swinging the club out to the right. Rather than 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock I want to fee like I'm swinging 8 to 2. I'm not really, but it feels like it. When I do, I notice that my divot is parallel to my feet.

At a 3.9 handicap you likely know all of this. If you're bringing your arms inside is it because you move your arms or are you twisting your torso. If it's your torso, are you too upright? Not having the right spine angle would make your rotation bring the club in off the target line and in closer to your feet.

I am not a pro, just some observations. Hope they help!

I have fought an over the top move, and I think a lot of golfers do. What has helped me is focusing on twisting my torso on the takeaway rather than pulling the club away with my arms. In addition, starting my downswing with a bump of my left hip and letting my hips drive my swing clears my left hip and opens enough space for my hands to come down underneath my shoulder. In addition, I try to feel like I'm swinging the club out to the right. Rather than 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock I want to fee like I'm swinging 8 to 2. I'm not really, but it feels like it. When I do, I notice that my divot is parallel to my feet.

At a 3.9 handicap you likely know all of this. If you're bringing your arms inside is it because you move your arms or are you twisting your torso. If it's your torso, are you too upright? Not having the right spine angle would make your rotation bring the club in off the target line and in closer to your feet.

I am not a pro, just some observations. Hope they help!

Hey, I appreciate all the help I can get. I know a lot of that stuff, but I was never that focused on the technical side of the game when I played competitively before. I just practiced until I hit the ball where I wanted it to go. I worked at a country club in Boulder for several years, so I could practice as much as I wanted. That's not the case anymore. I've found a lot of high handicappers know more about the mechanics than I do. I think my spine angle at address and again at impact definitely need work. I think that's what I'll work on first.

Thanks!

Hey, glad I could be of some help. My instructor would be pleased to hear that I'm not only hearing what he says, I'm listening.

Hey, glad I could be of some help. My instructor would be pleased to hear that I'm not only hearing what he says, I'm listening.

I'm sure he would be pleased.

http://www.swingreader.com/video/view/tZxxgTXY?embed=true
Your swing isn't flat at all Dan. I'm sure you come slightly over the top b/c you stand way too close to it. Fix that set up (as told in the other two threads) and give yourself some room to swing.

Actually looking at that vid, you aren't coming over the top at all. If you gave yourself some room to swing you'd be pretty close the the preferred inside to inside club path.

http://www.swingreader.com/video/view/tZxxgTXY?embed=true
Your swing isn't flat at all Dan. I'm sure you come slightly over the top b/c you stand way too close to it. Fix that set up (as told in the other two threads) and give yourself some room to swing.

Actually looking at that vid, you aren't coming over the top at all. If you gave yourself some room to swing you'd be pretty close the the preferred inside to inside club path.

So I'm standing too close to the ball?

IMO yes. There are great players that play cramped up on the ball, but go look at most of the pros on youtube hitting irons down the line and compare to yours. No need to get all crazy and stand too far away, just maybe give yourself a couple inches to start. (thats what she said)

IMO yes. There are great players that play cramped up on the ball, but go look at most of the pros on youtube hitting irons down the line and compare to yours. No need to get all crazy and stand too far away, just maybe give yourself a couple inches to start. (thats what she said)

Maybe that will help me stay down in my stance instead of standing up. I'll give it a shot. I've always thought that might be an issue. With wedges I will hit my right pocket on the downswing if I have anything in it. That's pretty annoying.

Back