Overcorrect to correct swing flaws

millsan1

I've figured this game out! Oh wait, no I haven't
Reaction score
Handicap
14?
I've ha a few lessons where my coach has me over correct to correct a swing flaw.

For example, I was starting to fade the ball more than a usable amount.

So we worked on hooking the ball. Hard. As hard as I could hook it.

Then, when I could hook a will, we dialed it back, little by little, until I arrived at a fade.

The concept is, rather than trying to get from where you are to "correct", go past correct, in the opposite direction, then back off the change.

It really is a lot easier for me to fix flaws this way.

That's what I do at the range. Works well.

I think knowing how to execute the extremes helps to know where the middle ground is.

The same can be said about hitting various types of shots - high, standard, & low (both draw and fade), punch shots, changing your speed to hit clubs various distances, etc.

For me, range time is experimentation time. There's no sense in standing there hitting 7-iron after 7-iron. It accomplishes nothing. What does accomplish something is experimentation. Hitting the ball high. Hitting it low. Seeing how hard I can hook it or slice it. How short can I hit a driver? How low can I hit a wedge? How effortlessly can I swing the club?

This is a proven method for correcting a swing flaw. But it doesn't always work the way you described.

For example, a common flaw is an out to in downswing path. Instructors will often instruct the student to swing out to the right (for a right-handed player). Almost always the student is unable to swing to the right simply by being instructed to do so. One of the basic reasons for this is the student perceives their swing path is different than it actually is AND they don't fully understand what causes their current swing path to be what it is. The instructor will work with the student to exaggerate the out to the right swing path knowing this. Often, the student never gets to the point of blocking it right or hooking it left. But the instruction you are describing is still very much in play.

Back