NewGlfr

Reaction score
Handicap
Friday I went to the range and hit about 150 Golf balls. Then the same Saturday. Tried to play 9 holes this afternoon and it was a disaster. I think I was mentally and physically tired as I just couldn't really concentrate and was coming up out of my stance much more than usual. It was also quite hot the last few days, so I think hydration was a bit of an issue, as well. Weirdly, my most consistent club for the 9 holes was my Driver.

I think I need a little break from the range and just hit the course next time. Live and learn!

My advice would be to hit 1/4 to a 1/3 of the balls and take your time. I have found a good practice to be simulating a course I play a lot. Knowing where the ball would land based on the tee shot then hit the next shot. I even hit a punch if my simulated drive would have gone in the woods or a chip if I would have missed the green on the simulated approach. I get a 30 ball bucket and see how many holes I can get through before running out. I don’t putt, so it goes quite a ways. My best is the tee shot on 13. I get to practice shots I have to play for real a lot and I have a contest to put a bit of pressure on myself. I’m also not just whacking away with one club and getting a groove I will not be able to reproduce on the course.

My advice would be to hit 1/4 to a 1/3 of the balls and take your time.

That is really great advice. I overdid it with that as well. I usually hit under 100 balls per session. Too much all the way around.

Thanks!

Been there, done that. I ended up with golfer's elbow that really curbed my range time for awhile. I learned to slow down and set up each shot like I was on the course.

That's a lot if hitting. I rarely hit past 60 if I'm not playing that day. I only do 20-30 on days that I'm playing.

Generally speaking, when you are a new golfer range sessions are hard on the body. Crashing the club into an unforgiving mat sends shockwaves up the shaft. So does hitting it thin or off the hosel. Toe side hits will twist the club in your hands. All this is hard on the body. Take more time between shots and focus on improving the quality of your contact. This will also accelerate your progression as a golfer.

I was taking lessons at a driving range at work and built up enough “points” to get a bucket of 100 for free. I went to the range and was about 65 in and felt a twinge in my left shoulder. I gave the rest to the guy next to me. I learned a good lesson about over doing it that day. I typically hit 30 before a round max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That a lot of balls. I wouldn't be to walk much less play. This kind of practice tends to hurt my game more than help. When you get tired your fundamentals aren't as good and you (me) develop bad habits that can be hard to fix.

If I want to hit a lot (big bucket where I go is 120), I always dump about half the bucket into the scoop holder, and that is the maximum I'll try full shots on - the other half will be quarter / half / three quarter swings with various wedges for distance control practice, but all smoother / gentler than full swings - almost like a warm down.

Way too many balls.......

Back