Overlapping Numbers or Lofts

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Are you the kind of guy who is capable of having two clubs in the bag that either share the same number on the head, or the same loft in a different style?

I had this going on last year with two four irons in the bag (very different designs and shaft setups) used in different situations. I've seen people have a hybrid and a wood or a hybrid and a utility iron that share a loft but are used differently.

Would it drive you nuts or big green light?

I have the two 4i in the bag. They are very different in design. I'm currently not using the more driving iron style 4i, as it's got a much lighter shaft than my other irons. I'm hitting my 5W really well and the Hogan 4i well enough that it's becoming redundant. However, during my recent golf marathon trip to Big Cedar, when I started to get tired this lighter option in the bag was very nice to have.

I could remove the second 4i....but then i'd be tempted to have a two driver bag. what sort of nut job would do that? ;)

I have two different 4i that are set up with different shafts, and I use them in different situations on the course, so I have no issue. It's more about being comfortable with what I'm swinging, instead of the number on the head or the loft. And having options is never a bad thing.

It would drive me nuts. I could probably do a 4u and a 4h but definitely could not do a 4u and a 4i

Reactions: Ooo
Im about to add a 5 hybrid whilst keeping the 5 iron. Main reason is I play Oceanside golf. Even in my hands, the ball gets launched to stratospheric heights with the 5 hybrid. 5 iron is staying in for those required lower shots.

I want to say I could do it, but at the same time I could see it driving me insane.

I think if I had two 4 irons, iit would present troubles for the OCD. Last year my bag went 4w, a 2h @ 18* that self-identified as a 3h, 4i. So clubs of differing types with same numbers... that's OK. Club of same type with same designation - that's pushing my mental flexibility :cool:

I don't think I would have a problem with it. Right now the way I have my bag set up I could definitely reduce a club at the top of the bag and add a wedge in the same range as one of my gap wedges but with a different bounce for different lies for chipping and inside 50.

I couldn't do it. I have trouble enough telling my 6i from my 9i without checking it at address. It's not so bad with my current irons but I have made the mistake before.

I know me and I'd grab the wrong club without fail.:ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I could do two of the same club number if they served different purposes and it filled out my bag correctly. More people need to think more in terms of what makes your bag playable and what shots you hit. Vs. what makes you bag aesthetically pleasing and fengshui.

I have a gap between my 26 degree 6 iron and 22 degree 4 hybrid. I'm thinking I want an adjustable 5h in that gap, because the 5 hybrids I'm considering are also at 26 degrees. Once I convince myself I've covered the gap, it should not be a problem. Unless it crowds my 4h, in which case that will need to be replaced by an adjustable 4 as well, and right now that 4h is my most reliable longer club.

I have a 20* conventional hybrid and a 20* utility. I typically carry one or the other, but I do use them differently on the course, so I'll occasionally pull the 17* Super Hybrid and carry them both.

Last edited:
I’ve done it with two gap wedges. I just have to grab the correct club for the distance.

I have a 22* 4h and a 22* 7w. Two very different clubs.

Closest I have come to this is having both a 21° UT iron and a 20° hybrid in the bag at the same time. 2 clubs in the 3 spot.

I had two 20* hybrids in the bag for a while until one of the shafts snapped on me. One was a compact Adams Pro Mini and the other was a Callaway X2 Hot Pro. I had about a 15 yard gap between the two.

My 5H and Super Hybrid are both 23° loft, but I have the Super Hybrid turned down to 22°. Because of the difference in the clubs, there's about a 12-14 yard gap between them, so it works out well - the Super Hybrid essentially plays as a strong 4h/weak 3H for me.

This is new to me this year. I swapped out my 4 and 5 irons for 4 and 5 hybrids, but I dialed the hybrids up a few degrees each in hopes to gap the need for a 6 iron. I still carry it, but would defer to the 5 hybrid for the majority of shots.

I carry both a 5 hybrid and a 5 iron. The hybrid launches high, and gets me about 15 yards more than the 5 iron does. So yes, I guess I am capable.

Did the 2 driver thing until I bought the EXS 220. One at 9* and the other at 10.5*

the past several years I’ve had a 4i and a 4h of the same loft in the bag full time. They both went about the same distance but I used them for vastly different reasons.

This year I have taken out the hybrid (for now) but have a spare 7i. It’s about the loft of my 5i and goes about as far. On a day when nothing else is working, I can hit this with 95% confidence, 😂.

I have a 3 iron and 3 hybrid both at 21º. 3h is longer for me so having both makes sense. Sometimes for grins and giggles I add a 7w at 22º to the bag which I use in different situations.

Why not.

For a while last year I gamed 2 54 degree wedges

Back