Overlapping Numbers or Lofts

I play a 26* Trilogy hybrid at 39 3/8” an Xrail 26* 5h at 38 3/8” and a 27* 6i at 37.75”. So no issues. It’s all about gapping for me. They are my 175, 165, 155 yd clubs.

Yes I have overlapping. An 18 5w that goes about 240 and an 18 driving iron that doesn’t

I frequently carry a 7w and a 4h of similar loft. I use the clubs for different purposes.

I have a long hard look at a combo set for the Morgan Cup that would have likely had two eight or two seven irons. Ultimately decided I could deal with having the same number but also decided I didn’t want to overly complicate club ordering. That level of clarity surprised me as I’m one that picks the set gap wedge just as much for knowing it will look the same next to the PW because they share the same slot in bag, or refuses to swap a 4 iron with a 4 hybrid as I wouldn’t want the hybrid to share a slot with the 5 iron. I’m one of those...

(Though with as much as I thought about how to pick the top of the bag it might have been easier on me to have gone with a combo set..)

Are you the kind of guy who is capable of having two clubs in the bag that either share the same number on the head, or the same loft in a different style?

I had this going on last year with two four irons in the bag (very different designs and shaft setups) used in different situations. I've seen people have a hybrid and a wood or a hybrid and a utility iron that share a loft but are used differently.

Would it drive you nuts or big green light?
Yup. I do this with a hybrid and utility sometimes.

Bring it on. If they'll make the right shots I'll carry 2 of anything.

*except putters, probably..:unsure:

Go for it. It’s all about your distances anyway. I personally carry a 4hy and a 4i, both at 21*. I originally ordered the set with 4hy to 5i, but there was about a 30 yard gap between the two. Now the 4i is a perfect fit.

Maybe with a utility and fairway wood, but not irons. Seeing the same number would bother me! And knowing me, I’d inadvertently pull the wrong one.

For the Morgan Cup I have a 7 wood that I will play at 21 degrees and a 21 (4) hybrid. Plus a 24 (5) hybrid and king Tour 5 iron. I imagine they will all have different distances and uses.

I like it so much, I do it twice*.

A 24* 6i and a 24* 5h. They gap perfectly for me.

On the other end is the set GW at 48* and a more traditional 'gap wedge' at 52*.

Last edited:
I've thought long and hard this year about having both a 7w and a 4h in the bag, both for very different reasons but went instead with the 7w. Provided I can learn how to play a 200 yard running punch under the wind with a 7 wood then I'll be fine :LOL:

I have two 7-irons in the bag right now. I lost my 20-year old 6-iron and replaced it with a newer 7-iron which has similar loft.

I don't have any loft overlapping right now but I'm not fundamentally opposed to it or anything. I will say however that I would personally find it hard to justify carrying two clubs that went the same distance.

Back when I upgraded my irons, and before I upgraded my wedges, I ended up having a 46* PW and 53* GW. So I had the PW from my old set bent to 49* and played two pitching wedges. Loved it.

I don't care at all especially with the lofts example.

JPX Fli-Hi Hybrid 4, 19°, 200-230 yd total. ZX4 4 iron 21°, 200+. King Utility Black One 4, 22.5°, 190.

JPX Fli-Hi Hybrid 6, 25°, 180+. JGR CB 6, 27°, 180-.

If they both serve a specific purpose that I need on a regular basis, sure. I could see a driving iron falling into this category if I found one I liked and it offered something above/beyond my hybrids for tee shots.

definitely weird to get used to but in the rotation I have an 18* 5w , 18* 2h, and 18* utility. ill only play 2 of the 3 at a time but all have a different purpose. The 5w lofts down to 16* and the 2h ill loft up to 20*

Even at 16* the 5w will have the highest peak height. The 2h is middle height wise and my ideal height. The utility is the low launch fairway finder (or more realistically the go to club for punch outs under the trees)

There’s no way I could do it, I’d be a mess.

Are you the kind of guy who is capable of having two clubs in the bag that either share the same number on the head, or the same loft in a different style?

I had this going on last year with two four irons in the bag (very different designs and shaft setups) used in different situations. I've seen people have a hybrid and a wood or a hybrid and a utility iron that share a loft but are used differently.

Would it drive you nuts or big green light?
It’s not a big green light, but I have done it, if that is what worked best for gapping.

Back