Overseed season here in AZ

El Rayo X

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What do you guys do when 80% of the courses are closed for Overseed?
My wife's afraid i'll get real grumpy without golf at least 2 days a week.

Then when they open you have CPO and prices are at least doubled.

Play the 20% that are open or travel

What do you guys do when 80% of the courses are closed for Overseed?
My wife's afraid i'll get real grumpy without golf at least 2 days a week.

Not all courses close at the same time. Understand the schedule and play golf until the latest closure; then play north where they don't OS (Above Dynamite rd in Phx) and then play when the course reopen (longest out of OS).

Then...travel as able!

Not all courses close at the same time. Understand the schedule and play golf until the latest closure; then play north where they don't OS (Above Dynamite rd in Phx) and then play when the course reopen (longest out of OS).

Then...travel as able!
I believe @El Rayo X is in Tucson so he’d have to travel to play Phoenix courses. There are a number of courses in Tucson currently in OS and with the fire at Randolph/Dell Urich cart barn, there are no carts available for the course that is open there (to add insult to injury they are charging the same rate to walk at Dell as they charge for playing with a cart even though there are no carts available).
It will definitely be slim pickings for the next month or so and then CPO and higher rates after that.

I believe @El Rayo X is in Tucson so he’d have to travel to play Phoenix courses. There are a number of courses in Tucson currently in OS and with the fire at Randolph/Dell Urich cart barn, there are no carts available for the course that is open there (to add insult to injury they are charging the same rate to walk at Dell as they charge for playing with a cart even though there are no carts available).
It will definitely be slim pickings for the next month or so and then CPO and higher rates after that.
Exactly the problem…. Several Green Valley courses are OS now, too.
Headed out to CA in 2 weeks for 10 days, so that will help.
Playing Alisal River course and then Something in San Diego county.
Shame on Tucson City for charging cart rates for walkers on Randolp/Del. I hardly ever give that complex my business as is since I feel they are already gouging, when Enke ( better course ) is $10 less, as is Silverbell. Del is usually an ego boost, and North always has inconsistent greens

I believe I closed my comment by saying, you have to travel.

I play in Sedona, Prescott, Flag and Showlow, plus NM, CO or CA; and keep track of course closure and open.

Exactly the problem…. Several Green Valley courses are OS now, too.
Headed out to CA in 2 weeks for 10 days, so that will help.
Playing Alisal River course and then Something in San Diego county.
Shame on Tucson City for charging cart rates for walkers on Randolp/Del. I hardly ever give that complex my business as is since I feel they are already gouging, when Enke ( better course ) is $10 less, as is Silverbell. Del is usually an ego boost, and North always has inconsistent greens

That's rotten...here in Phx, some of the courses (below average to avg) are going to be over $250 because of SB, Sprin gTraining, and other in 2023. Wekopa has cancelled their pass; Troon changed their 241 to only 5 courses and many more injustices.

If you do some pricing, it is actually better to travel and play golf then play in Phx in some scenarios.

If you do some pricing, it is actually better to travel and play golf then play in Phx in some scenarios.

Sadly this is true. I may have to reduce my volume of golf played this upcoming season.

We played Sedona Golf Resort today. 84 and clear blue skies, light breeze, about perfect. Plus, it was my first round of golf since my shoulder replacement in April (long story)! No OS, but with the late monsoons, the course was fairly lush and soggy.
Sound like a dream!

What is over seeding?
Let the Bermuda grass go dormant. Scalp it. Plant Rye grass for tge winter season. Until spring heat kills it and the Bermuda comes back.

That's rotten...here in Phx, some of the courses (below average to avg) are going to be over $250 because of SB, Sprin gTraining, and other in 2023. Wekopa has cancelled their pass; Troon changed their 241 to only 5 courses and many more injustices.

This is the reason I got the Arcis card this year. Still Raven will cost $120 to play, I get a free breakfast or lunch, for a course that should not be over $100. Same with McDowell Mountain. I can't even imagine what Southern Dunes, Wekopa, Whirlwind, etc will cost. I hope there are some hidden deals to find, looking at you Verrado, but it doesn't seem likely.

This is the reason I got the Arcis card this year. Still Raven will cost $120 to play, I get a free breakfast or lunch, for a course that should not be over $100. Same with McDowell Mountain. I can't even imagine what Southern Dunes, Wekopa, Whirlwind, etc will cost. I hope there are some hidden deals to find, looking at you Verrado, but it doesn't seem likely.
Bro we should Raven Abd McDowell.

Bro we should Raven Abd McDowell.
Those are the main 2 I will play. If I can sneak out of work I will suffer through Ocotillo. If I get lunch there it will be fine, decent menu. :ROFLMAO:

If others read between lines card holders get rates for their foursome, not food though.

Those are the main 2 I will play. If I can sneak out of work I will suffer through Ocotillo. If I get lunch there it will be fine, decent menu. :ROFLMAO:

If others read between lines card holders get rates for their foursome, not food though.
I’ve never played Ocotillo. Yet lived on that course when I first moved to AZ.

Abd yes, I get that 20% off for anyone that plays with me.

I’ve never played Ocotillo. Yet lived on that course when I first moved to AZ.

Abd yes, I get that 20% off for anyone that plays with me.
The 9's rated by me are Blue then Gold then White. I think White #9 is an excellent golf hole and is wasted on this course. For the most part I 💩 on this course but if you play Blue/Gold it is a pretty fair test. There is a lot of fake water and most of it is not really in play if you have some control of your left and right. There are just some goofy holes that make you mad playing them. :ROFLMAO: It does shock me how many out of towners love the course though. 🤷‍♂️

The 9's rated by me are Blue then Gold then White. I think White #9 is an excellent golf hole and is wasted on this course. For the most part I 💩 on this course but if you play Blue/Gold it is a pretty fair test. There is a lot of fake water and most of it is not really in play if you have some control of your left and right. There are just some goofy holes that make you mad playing them. :ROFLMAO: It does shock me how many out of towners love the course though. 🤷‍♂️
Mc Mansion lined lakes flanking a golf course. Of course they love it!

Mc Mansion lined lakes flanking a golf course. Of course they love it!
I remember the ranger pointing out Bruce Arians' house on Blue #3. I remember thinking to myself he probably doesn't want you pointing that out. I wish the houses weren't so late 90's as there really is no beauty to them. I love spying on the homes on Troon North and Ambiente because they are so nice looking.

Back to some overseeding content. My handicap goes up when I play in October because the rough gets shaggy, there is no roll, and the greens are furry. Just a dreadful time to play.

I remember the ranger pointing out Bruce Arians' house on Blue #3. I remember thinking to myself he probably doesn't want you pointing that out. I wish the houses weren't so late 90's as there really is no beauty to them. I love spying on the homes on Troon North and Ambiente because they are so nice looking.

Back to some overseeding content. My handicap goes up when I play in October because the rough gets shaggy, there is no roll, and the greens are furry. Just a dreadful time to play.
But that’s calf building season. With all the walking. 😂

So the poi
Let the Bermuda grass go dormant. Scalp it. Plant Rye grass for tge winter season. Until spring heat kills it and the Bermuda comes back.
So the point is strictly to have grass through out the winter as opposed to dormant Bermuda? I’m in southeast and we just play on dormant Bermuda except the par 3 tee boxes and some clubs OS them with Rye grass.. is there any other benefit to the OS? I would think it would increase cost a good bit, is the bang worth the buck?

So the poi

So the point is strictly to have grass through out the winter as opposed to dormant Bermuda? I’m in southeast and we just play on dormant Bermuda except the par 3 tee boxes and some clubs OS them with Rye grass.. is there any other benefit to the OS? I would think it would increase cost a good bit, is the bang worth the buck?
"winter" is peak season for golf in Arizona. Summer is the "off season". Courses more than make their money back for the cost of having it look like chamber of commerce photos all winter.

Rates for golf will double, triple, or raise even more as soon as overseed is complete.

Back