Oversize putter grip removal - air?

kiwichris

Team Smoked Charcuterie
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
With my putting grip change up, I'm wanting to try a new grip to make it more comfortable.

I want to keep the stock grip so wondering who here has removed an oversize grip without destroying it so it could be re-used?

I'm thinking air will help but wanted to test the knowledge out here.

I’ve given up on trying to save putter grips.

I’ve removed a lot of SuperStrokes with air, I think I may have boogered one out of like 15 or so...they only had painters tape on the shaft though.

That may be different. I was thinking of Some thing like a super stroke. Every oversize grip I’ve ever tried removing has resulted in frustration. I just don’t bother trying to save them anymore.

I have replaced grips using air, but I have not tried to remove a factory grip with air. I don't think that would go well.

I tried the air option, trying to manage pressure vs not blow up in my face and it didn't want to behave so it became a throw away sadly.

Need a better regulator on compressor, air certainly helped putting the new Lamkin AVS Midsize Pistom, roll on Monday to test

With my putting grip change up, I'm wanting to try a new grip to make it more comfortable.

I want to keep the stock grip so wondering who here has removed an oversize grip without destroying it so it could be re-used?

I use an old wire style coat hanger. Unwind the hook on it bend it in half. Push the bent side down the grip slightly. Squeeze a little bit of grip solvent in it. Push it down a little bit more with some more grip solvent. Continue to do that and rotate the coat hanger around the shaft at the same time. It'll take you a couple minutes to get to the bottom of the grip at that point you can pull it off the shaft.

I have had varying amounts of success removing glued on grips, I do use air.

Some pop right off (the bigger ones usually), others need a shot or 2 or 4 of mineral spirits in the hole where you will put the air. The air will eventually push the spirits through the grip, loosen the bond and it can slip off easily - again, most of the time.

I now (for putters mostly) install with air and use 1 layer of masking tape and some spit (just to get the grip started. The masking tape to slide it down the shaft. - not sticky, masking (one sided). For regular clubs, I use 1 inch of one sided masking tape at the edge of the shaft - again some spit to get it started and no tape down the shaft - I have not had a grip slip on me and removal if desired is super easy. I do tend to swap grips on putters from time to time - and this method allows that without damaging the grip.

Good luck - hope what I described makes some sense to you.

I've used my blow gun on shop air (120ish psi) with a good cone attachment on the end. I titrate the trigger (don't just hold it down) and let the air work it off. If you need to, use some mineral spirts in the hole to soften up any double sided tape and work it with the air. I haven't had any real issues and have removed some REALLY old stuck on grips that way.

The blade style grip savers work on almost everything, albeit, might stretch the grip but i've had some success if I immediately throw the removed grip in the freezer for a couple of hours. I dont know how it works but i've had Tour Velvets and stuff that people wanted to save not stretch as bad once I froze it

Back