Packing for your golf trip

thewilderside

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
When you're packing for your trip, do you go with placing trust in the airline to get your luggage there or do you pack as much as you can into your carry-on bags? Southwest allows a carry-on plus a second bag as long as it fits under your seat. Should I put as much as possible in these, and deal with inconvenience of two bags to deal with at layover, or just go with lighter carry-on presence and trust them to get my bags to my destination?

I have flown hundreds of times and only once was my luggage delayed. That being said, I still take a carry on some clothes just in case.

I have logged many 10s of thousands of miles in the air. Not so many lately, but in the past.

Never had a problem with lost, or damaged baggage. Late a few times, but that's it.

I would pack my carry on heavily, but never took two bags on the plane. In fact I was never fond of other fliers putting that second bag under their seats. Some of that space was where my feet went...lol

Early consensus is one heavy packed carry-on. Works for me 😃

If I have the room I throw toiletries and a change of clothes in my carryon. When I travel for golf if I already have my clubs as checked luggage, I usually travel lighter with the carryon.

If I have the room I throw toiletries and a change of clothes in my carryon. When I travel for golf if I already have my clubs as checked luggage, I usually travel lighter with the carryon.
Do you check two bags, or put clothing in your checked golf travel bag?

Do you check two bags, or put clothing in your checked golf travel bag?
I have a tiny old travel bag so I’m pretty much forced to bring a carryon duffel or check a second bag. Usually before a golf trip I’m not interested in hauling a heavy duffel so I check a second bag.

Depends.....

If I am says traveling to Bandon and fly into PDX then I take what I can in my carry on and ship my clubs to Bandon. If they are delayed or lost that is a pain to have to wait in Portland. If my destination is within say an hour of the airport then I can trust the airlines to get me my luggage if it is delayed.

I’ll pack at least a change of clothes in my carry on & depending on the length of the golf trip, load up my travel bag.

Anytime I’ve travelled for golf, it’s just been clubs and carry on that goes under the seat.

I've never really given it a thought, to be honest. My clubs and shoes go into my travel bag, and everything else goes in my checked bag. Camera, laptop and a magazine are the only items I bring on board in my backpack.

My second trip flying for golf our baggage didn't make the transfer in time, so when we landed we had to push our tee time back a bit. There was already another flight on the way so we were only delayed about 90 minutes. IIRC the airline may have given us a voucher that covered a round of drinks in lieu of having to deliver our clubs to us.

I usually check as much as possible. When I go to a beach resort I always put a bathing suit in my carry on but for a golf trip I am not much good without my clubs so I assume I will get both bags.

I pack a fair amount of stuff into my golf travel bag so that I only need a carry on otherwise. I push my golf bag weight toward the limit allowed...Normally about 50 pounds.

I'd rather enjoy my light load, extra space, and ease getting around the airport and security, than plan for something bad happening. Same thing for me as thinking about the opportunities or focusing on potential mistakes on course. I've had my luggage go the wrong way multiple times, but worrying about it takes away from the whole experience for me, because I can't control it. I'll arrive happy, wearing clothes, with my wallet and phone, and a very small bag with a few things. If something happens beyond that, I'll adapt.

Watch the 50 lb limit on your checked club travel bag, and leave enough room somewhere for the extra swag that's coming back with you.

Maybe I've been lucky, but have never had a bag delayed or lost with Southwest. Flights on American years ago and 1/3rd of the time had baggage issues.

Can always buy whatever is needed at destination if necessary. (y)

For a THP Trip pack majority of gear in carryon/backpack. Leave enough room/weight in golf bag for swag to bring back.

(I don’t fly southwest so usually just one checked bag)

I fly/travel for work a lot and luckily there are lot of fundraising tournaments I play in. I generally fly SWA. I'll usually check the golf bag and luggage if I have it, otherwise, it all usually fits into a backpack for me. I've had one incident where my putter arrived and the neck was bent. After that, I put a little extra effort into packing my clubs.

Million + miler here. United lost my bag once, and it was actually stolen from the baggage claim at LAX (back when they thought it was a smart idea to take bags marked Priority off the carousel, and place them by the front door :rolleyes:)

I've never had a bag delayed. My wife, who has flow a million more miles than I have has had a delay once, and since then she always packs a change of work clothes in her carry on.

As far as carry ons go, I carry what I want to use on the plane (computer, headphones, etc.,) and that is all. I prefer letting the airline do the heavy lifting.

Delta has delayed my bag once. My golf bag made it but my suitcase didn't. It happened to be the one time I didn't pack a change of clothes in my back pack. I could've carried it on but decided at the least minute to check it because I didn't want to deal with it going through Atlanta. Coincidentally, it was for this event last year. So, Delta put it on the first flight the next day and had it delivered to the golf course we were playing that Friday morning. Delta bought me a nice shirt and shorts from Edwin Watts for my trouble.

I concur on leaving room in the golf bag for your swag. I'd also suggest packing an empty smaller duffle, just in case you are over the weight limit on your golf bag and need the room to move stuff.

On the way home, I always check my carry-on type suitcase.

I take as little carry on as possible, to avoid inconvenience to other passengers and to help me move quickly around the airport.

If only airlines enforcedthe one bag only rule . :banghead:

I always pack a lot of good, solid, domestic made condoms. When I travel internationally I have found the condoms aren't as good. I've had a number of them break and who knows how many women have ended up knocked up. Pack a bunch of new dick wrappers fellas it's well worth it. If I'm gone for a week or two I'll average about 8 to 10 women per week. So I go through a lot of wrappers.

I can fit my clothes in my carryon with no problem. Only bag that gets checked is my golf bag

Back