Pain Relieving Rubs, Creams, Lotions etc.

Voltaren gets my vote too. I've been using the prescription version on my ankle tendon after a day of golf. Rub it on right before I go to sleep. Works great for me.

Tiger Balm or Blue Emu.
Tiger Balm was a go to when my kids played baseball/softball and had several games due to tournaments. It does have a smell but it’s not the antiseptic smell of Ben gay or icy hot.
My father used Blue Emu for arthritis in his back and knees with good results, it does not have an odor.

I have a shoulder impingement. It doesn’t affect me playing golf but I experience pain and discomfort after sleeping on the affected side or when I try to reach behind me with that arm or when I try to raise my arm over my head. In addition to doing some pt exercises for my shoulder I am trying to find a pain relieving rub, cream, lotion etc.. I’m just wondering if anyone has has any suggestions. The choices in the aisle at the pharmacy are many and the ingredients varied. I would prefer one that is pretty much odorless.

this was pretty good IMO

71Vo9bgxd3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I've tried a CBD cream and it seems to work. I put it on both of my knees that need replacing and it does seem to help.

I apply Bio-freeze and Ben Gay to my lower back before I tee it up. Seems to provide some relief.

I frequently Bio-Freeze up my shoulders, upper arms, and lower back if I'm feeling a bit stiff before a round. It does smell but only until it dries in my experience. Great stuff.

I have used diclofenac sodium topical gel. It is or at least used to be prescription but it definitely helps provide some relief. I think you could pretty much just call your primary care doctor and they would prescribe it.

I just did a quick google search and it looks liek that is what Voltaren is.

Last edited:
I have been using Biofreeze on some other areas of my body with decent results. Not sure on impingement, had that issue earlier this year and the only help was taking ibuprofen and the PT exercises really helped after a few days. did them for 2 weeks and ended not even worrying about the shoulder now.

We have a mega-tub of Bio Freeze on our inpatient rehab unit that we use continuously. Patient's rave about how well it works to easy minor aches and pains.

Def Voltaren. Love that it went otc as now it’s super affordable for our patients and athletes. Pen-said is good too but prescription only.

I thought I was having issues with a knee replacement and its actually tendinitis. I have been using Voltaren and so far I like it.

Arnicare and Turmeric.

You may have bigger issues like rotator cuff or frozen shoulder.. I would suggest a chiropractor or physical therapist instead of (or at least along with) the gel. If you don't address the underlying issue it could get worse.

I had frozen shoulder once and it was so debilitating, I had to do PT for a few months and strengthen a muscle that was weakened or whatever

My wife used to use Bio Freeze then I got her some Vodoo, figured with the money back if not satisfied deal we had nothing to lose. She swears by Vodoo now, I've used it on my forearm/elbow area and seemed to do a good job.

I was diagnosed with bursitis and tendinitis in my shoulder. I have had a cortisone shot and I am using ice and taking ibuprofen as needed.

find the ones with lidocaine in them will help get you through a round of golf - a few of these available at most supermarkets

Voltaren gets my vote too. I've been using the prescription version on my ankle tendon after a day of golf. Rub it on right before I go to sleep. Works great for me.

Def Voltaren. Love that it went otc as now it’s super affordable for our patients and athletes. Pen-said is good too but prescription only.

Read an article a few weeks ago in the paper about the topical NSAID, Voltaren, has been shown to be more effective than ingested, I also remember an article I read a long time ago where a doctor recommended topical pain relief over ingested every time! I intend to ask about this at my local pharmacy!

Read an article a few weeks ago in the paper about the topical NSAID, Voltaren, has been shown to be more effective than ingested, I also remember an article I read a long time ago where a doctor recommended topical pain relief over ingested every time! I intend to ask about this at my local pharmacy!

Well as the guy at the local pharmacy, Voltaren works great for some people and does very little for others. Just like pretty much any other medicine of any type.

Make sure you read up on where to use it on your body and where not to if you go that route. There are areas it’s recommended for and others that it is not.

Bio-freeze

Voltaren. It was originally prescribed for me to ease the pain of plantar fasciitis. I have been having some pain similar to that but on the outside of my right foot that I apply Voltaren to and it helps.

Well as the guy at the local pharmacy, Voltaren works great for some people and does very little for others. Just like pretty much any other medicine of any type.

Make sure you read up on where to use it on your body and where not to if you go that route. There are areas it’s recommended for and others that it is not.

I'm thinking of my knees. By the end of 18 they are killing me! Plus, Voltaren is now supposed to be available OTC, at about 1/3 the scrip cost.

I'm thinking of my knees. By the end of 18 they are killing me! Plus, Voltaren is now supposed to be available OTC, at about 1/3 the scrip cost.

It is indeed available OTC and osteoarthritis of the knee is one of the things it’s prescribed for. The generic is even available already for it OTC.

I cannot recommend any medication due to legal issues, but many have found relief with Volteran.

Back