Paired up with a Beginner/struggling golfer

checkered

Team Paradise - 2023 Morgan Cup Champions!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
too high
Say you're paired up with someone that is clearly new to the game and struggling with their game. How do you handle the round? Do you try to avoid the subject when talking to them and let them struggle or try to give encouragement and/or tips? Do you try to play ahead to avoid the situation all together? If you do try to encourage them, is there anything particular you do/say to try to encourage them to not give up? Just curious on how everyone approaches this situation. I've usually been the least experienced one in any group, but I know I will encounter this one day.

I will ask if they want help. If so, I work with them as much as they like.

I would never avoid someone because they are new and struggling. I would give them encouragement and if they ask for help I would do my best to help them out.

I'm with Tadashi on this one, although NOWHERE near his skill level of instruction, if they want me to point out the real obvious stuff I will. That being said, I always stay positive and encourage them regardless.

For me to give anyone any swing advice, it would be like Ray Charles asking Stevie Wonder for directions home. My advice would be to find a PGA professional with whom they are comfortable and take some lessons before they get some habits that will be hard to break. I would stress that golf is not as easy as some think it to be, it is a difficult game, but a game they will learn to enjoy and can play the rest of their lives, so I would encourage them to keep at it. I would tell them that no one really cares about how well they play, just how fast they play. And I would warn them that there are some that are a bit over sensitive about that.

Help em along if they ask, but definitely keep an eye on their ball and such. If they don't ask for any help other than keeping an eye on their ball, just go about my game. They don't have to be good for it to still be a fun round of golf, especially if they have a strong sense of humor and are having a good time.

I try to stay out of there way. Offer encouragement and the kine. I won't give advice

I will typically say something, maybe I'm just forward. The least I would say is that it's a funny game and you can play well one day and not so well the next.

If they ask for help I will try my best, but swing advice isn't my strong suit.

I've played a few rounds with guys starting out. Have gotten a few co-workers hooked.

I can play with beginner or someone who is struggling. We all went through that. But I cant stand someone who does not have manner/etiquette.

I keep an eye on their ball and help them find wayward shots.

I might deflect their struggles - if the person engages me first about it - with something like "it's a hard game" or "everyone has tough days" type stuff.

I really try not to offer swing advice to strangers, even if asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am definitely not someone who would be giving tips or swing advice, but would definitely be encouraging along the way.

I 'd offer encouragement and tell them at some point it will become fun...lol

I wouldnt ignore them.
Id encourage as much as possible and if they ask for help or pointers Id chime in

Offer encouragement when appropriate. Try to make sure they enjoy themselves regardless. Throw in a little humor to go with everything else.

I'd help, if requested (limited at best). Support all I could and be very patient as it's going to be a long round. Everyone was there at one point so it doesn't bother me!

Smile and try to have fun, lighten up the mood.

No advice on the course, ever, if they ask (never happens) I may but only a quick tip.

If they know how to stink, by picking up and not taking more than one mulligan per 9, I'm cool and we can play on.

But if not, if they keep me from moving along, I'm ditching them first chance I can, sorry dude.

It all depends on their attitude. I get paired up everytime I play and I actually prefer the hacker most the time.

They can whiff, top, chump etc. as much as they want and I will give tips if they want. Most people that fall into this category are worried about pace and rush themselves so pace of play is almost never an issue.

To me the opposite is the worst pairing you can get. I cringe when I get paired up with the really good golfer. A lot of them will get frustrated by every not perfect shot and will take this casual Round way too seriously.

I'll take the good spirited hacker all day.

I really enjoy playing with new Golfers and had a great time with one a few weeks ago, seeing the joy a well struck shot brings (even if it goes 100 yds) to a new player makes me smile. I / we get all wrapped up sometimes in what shaft, ball, head, loft, etc. etc. and just forget how cool it is to just hit the darn ball.

I was that struggling golfer years ago and would never avoid that type of golfer. I would offer advice if asked and give encouragement where earned. May offer some suggestions on pace of we start falling behind. I would help track their ball to help pace.

Say you're paired up with someone that is clearly new to the game and struggling with their game. How do you handle the round? Do you try to avoid the subject when talking to them and let them struggle or try to give encouragement and/or tips? Do you try to play ahead to avoid the situation all together? If you do try to encourage them, is there anything particular you do/say to try to encourage them to not give up? Just curious on how everyone approaches this situation. I've usually been the least experienced one in any group, but I know I will encounter this one day.

I will try and make them as comfortable as possible, golf is extremely difficult and no one should be embarrassed by poor play, we've all been there. Keep their mind off of it and have fun

Be as encouraging as possible. If asked for advice I would certainly give it but I would help find their ball and be a solid example of proper golf etiquette and pace of play. If they have a good attitude I'm happy to play with a new golfer.

I think the key is to help then have fun. Keep an eye on thing to be mindful of pace of play. But keep it chill.

I'd most likely just help keep an eye on their ball for them, maybe give some tips about the course itself if it's one I'm familiar with rather than talk about their swing or anything like that. I am the LAST person who should be giving ANYONE advice on the swing, but I would have zero problem playing with a beginner since I was there just a few short years ago.

I was playing with a guy at our company outing one time, who had never played before. I watched him really struggle for a couple of holes, and then told him I was going to help him play better. I coached him up for the rest of the round, showing him the basics of the grip, stance, swing, etc. By the end of the round he was still hacking it up, but he cracked off a few nice shots. The other guy who was with us asked if I was an instructor, which made me laugh. Funny thing is, I really enjoy coaching people up. I'm also pleased to say that Ron, the guy I was coaching, is now hitting the range all the time, and looking for a teaching pro. He tells me that he's got "the bug" now. That also makes me feel good.

I would never ask to help with their swing, but if they asked I could help a little. They really don't want me teaching them bad habits. As long as they keep up and play ready golf (something I might have to mention), it's all good.

Back