alaskaguy2021

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all,
So ive been rebuilding my swing for a few months now and things are going great, come down from a 105 avg score to now i shoot 86avg. One thing that i cant seem to alleviate is a grip where i still get alot of contact on my leading hands palm (palm section of the glove). I have fairly tiny hands (i wear a M/L cadet glove) and been fitted for standard size grips but maintaining a setup with the grip sitting higher seems to be a little challenging.

my question is, are there any golfers out there that have a grip with heavy palm contact but havnt messed with it because you have a good shot? I know its not the proper grip but i do play a decent game now...sooo should i just stick with what works even if its not correct or continue trying to fix that particular thing?

This may sound like contrarian advice. It may sound lazy. It's not meant to be.

Who is to say what is normal? I mean, look at Matt Wolffe's swing. That's not something that would be considered traditional, but it works for him. The same thing can be said of Bryson DeChambeau... his swing is quite violent and not "normal" but it works for him.

If what you do works, and you're OK with it, then keep doing it. <-- that's my advice.

If you're experiencing more glove wear than is comfortable, check out Caddy Daddy Claw gloves. They last a long time and a lot of THPers love them. I know I do.

I've always thought heavy palm contact is normal as long as the grip isn't too tight and the club is more in your fingers. That's where I see the most wear and tear on my glove. I also use the Caddy Daddy Claw Pro.

@Scorpion12 thats kind of my thinking too but i figured id post the question since it always seems like someone points out the wear on my glove and says i need to correct my grip. but i do play well now, so maybe its just how i roll and ignore random comments.

@wazzubrew yea its not too heavy and i do have wear in the normal area too.

thanks both for the feedback

@Scorpion12 thats kind of my thinking too but i figured id post the question since it always seems like someone points out the wear on my glove and says i need to correct my grip. but i do play well now, so maybe its just how i roll and ignore random comments.

@wazzubrew yea its not too heavy and i do have wear in the normal area too.

thanks both for the feedback
This is the image from Ben Hogan that I was thinking of. Club rests on the palm so it would be natural for wear there. Unless your club is more vertical and going on the other side of that cushion? I'm not sure.

1643237828923.png

@wazzubrew yea thats exactly where mine sits....that makes me feel a ton better! Thats nice i can feel good about not thinking about that during setup anymore!

thanks a ton!

I played pretty well with a “palmy” grip. However, I always had a more ‘single plane’ type of swing. “Normal” is what works for you.

oh, and I would get a wear spot on my glove showing that I was palmy, but that meant I wasn’t consistent in my grip pressure throughout the swing.

This may sound like contrarian advice. It may sound lazy. It's not meant to be.

Who is to say what is normal? I mean, look at Matt Wolffe's swing. That's not something that would be considered traditional, but it works for him. The same thing can be said of Bryson DeChambeau... his swing is quite violent and not "normal" but it works for him.

If what you do works, and you're OK with it, then keep doing it. <-- that's my advice.

If you're experiencing more glove wear than is comfortable, check out Caddy Daddy Claw gloves. They last a long time and a lot of THPers love them. I know I do.

True this! And nobody would teach Jim Furyk's swing. I'll have to check out those gloves.

Back