Pants Material for Fall / Winter (help please)

tmoney

Bogey Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
This summer I got some polyester performance material shorts. Nike Dri-Fit and Adidas Climalite. I have not looked back. They are great: light, cool, and look like normal shorts.

I usually just wear an old pair of cotton khakis / chinos for golf in fall / winter around here. Temps anywhere from mid-40's on up to too cool for shorts.

Do you recommend the slinky material for your long pants year-round, or do you go cotton? I would imagine the shorts that I have on now to be a bit cool and slinky for cooler temps.

I am beginning my window shopping and would love some opinions.

Thanks

I don't mind my pants to be "tech" fabric in the winter. I wear essentially the same stuff summer and winter.

In the winter I add on a layer of "underarmor" running spandex under my pants- and a similar layer under my polo. I have a light over layer that I'll put on if I need it, or even a light windbreaker if the conditions call for it. That keeps me comfortable to about 35 degrees (with a stocking hat, of course). Anything colder than that and I don't need to be golfing.

I don't mind my pants to be "tech" fabric in the winter. I wear essentially the same stuff summer and winter.

In the winter I add on a layer of "underarmor" running spandex under my pants- and a similar layer under my polo. I have a light over layer that I'll put on if I need it, or even a light windbreaker if the conditions call for it. That keeps me comfortable to about 35 degrees (with a stocking hat, of course). Anything colder than that and I don't need to be golfing.

I also wear the UA Cold Gear if I feel the need to get out and play in the cold. But usually, if I can't wear shorts, it's colder than I want to play in. Usually.

The same stuff works for me summer/spring/fall (and sometimes winter in the NE) but, like RxGus, I like the layering option.

I appreciate the input.

Wearing the tights / long underwear seems like too much commitment in case it warms up. As opposed to khakis, where I just might get a little chilly when the wind blows.

I appreciate the input.

Wearing the tights / long underwear seems like too much commitment in case it warms up. As opposed to khakis, where I just might get a little chilly when the wind blows.

Riding in a cart is a COLD experience. I never notice being to warm with the tights... they control heat pretty well.

I just started thinking about winter gear myself, being new to golf this summer. I'm more concerned about wet weather gear though. However on dry, cold days with a chance of a shower or two a pair of walking trousers is ideal.

I'm finding that 'Golf' equipment is insanely priced compared to hiker's gear, especially if you avoid the big named brands in the latter (Haglofs and Patagonia come to mind).

Craghoppers Kiwi trousers for example can be found at TK Maxx for £20 and have all the pocket space you could need as well as being able to stand up to all but a heavy downpour and dry out quickly afterwards.

A Paramo fleece top (reversible depending on the conditions) can be found for £20-£40 and a Montane Featherlight jacket weighing in at under 90g and £60 will stun you with just how waterproof it is.

So I guess I'm not going to be buying any new clothes and just use what I have! I might look a LITTLE bit like a hiker with golf clubs but I'll be warm and dry and I won't be proclaiming 'PING' or 'NIKE' everywhere I go. :angel:

I like the layering idea as well. As has been pointed out I think it is tougher when the conditions are changing during your round. I intend wearing much the same performance materials that I have worn when not wearing golf shorts but I will add an extra layer. I have gotten myself one pair of wool blend golf trousers for that day that you are talking about in this thread (changing conditions, a little nippy but too warm for layering). I really don’t think I will need more than one, maybe two but I think at least one pair will take care of it.

Back