par 3 opening hole ?

Not a fan at all

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I've played one. Pacific Grove Municipal in Monterey, CA. In fact, the first TWO holes are par 3.

I think two in a row to start is a bit much, but my thought about a par 3 to start is that it automatically gives you a gap at the beginning of the round, instead of starters sending out the next group on the first tee as soon as the group ahead drives off after hitting their second shots instead of waiting for the actual tee time.
Played PG muni several times and it is goofy having 2 par 3s to start but back 9 is well worth it!

I have not played one. My home course has a par 3 on hole 10. I prefer to start on a par 4/5.

It would need to be an amazing hole/green site to the point of any other hole they could build would suck for me not to mind honestly.

not particularly a fan of starting or finishing with a par 3

Enjoy par threes but I'm not a fan of starting or ending a round on them. One course I frequent is par three on both #9 and #10. Don't like those times they start us on the back there.

Never have and hope never to do so. Don't like the idea of it at all.

I just want the course designer to use the land the best way they see fit. If that means a par 3 right off the bat then so be it. That said, unless 10 and 1 are both par 3's or the course is a big loop, there is an easy remedy to this issue.

The low limbs of the trees in your photo makes playing shots very difficult. Is it common for the courses in your area to have lots of low hanging tree limbs ?

It depends on the course, some do but others don't

My home course has done work on some of the trees to remove the lower branches so that you can have some kind of attempt to play the ball, but there are others that they have left (usually ones that are far enough off line that you need to hit a bad shot to be amongst them)

It depends on the course, some do but others don't

My home course has done work on some of the trees to remove the lower branches so that you can have some kind of attempt to play the ball, but there are others that they have left (usually ones that are far enough off line that you need to hit a bad shot to be amongst them)

It's very expensive to remove low hanging limbs from old trees. My local course is Harding Park GC and it suffered for decades from low hanging limbs. But 20 years ago San Francisco and the PGA Tour came to an agreement that if the course was improved the Tour would host pro events there. So, the course was closed for 2 years and during that time it was non stop cutting of tree limbs, convoys of trucks removing the wood. It's much better now with the only limbs remaining at the very tops of tall trees.
The course has hosted a President's Cup and this coming May will have a US PGA Championship.

I've never played a course that starts with one but there's a links course locally that ends on a short par 3 and it is a letdown at the end of the round.

I would much rather start on a par 3 than end on a par 3. Don't know why, but probably due to that similar feeling you describe of being a letdown. I love finishing on a par 5, gives you that one last chance at a birdie before the 19th hole!

Back