armidwestgolf

Reaction score
how do you play a 210 yard par 3? bunkers on left and right, water in front you need to carry 180. to the left.

Aim a 3 wood at the center of the green and swing hard.

The 2nd hole at my home course is very similar to that apart from the water

Depending on the wind (usually into and off the left slightly), I will hit either 4i or my ZU85 2i and start it somewhere around the left bunkers as my typical shot is a fade at the moment, and with the wind I would expect it to finish either on the green or just short depending on the strike

If I only need to carry 180, I'm hitting either a 2 or 3 hybrid depending on other conditions.

Hybrid at center of green. It might move in either direction but I’m not going to guess it and aim one side over the other. 195-210 is the range so I’ll take anything close, get my bogey with a smile and move on. That length of a hole for me is a “don’t give up the double”.

That’s a defensive hole, longish 3 where hazards are waiting ,birdie is bonus and par your would take your boarding pass and get out of there ...
Hybrid for position , takes out the water and bunkers , choose your preferred wedge to green at fat and putt from there.
Attack what is achievable.

I'm going with a choked down 5w. In a couple of weeks, I would hope that to be a full 7w!

i’m between 5i and 4h. i’m probably going 4h for the added forgiveness.

How wide is the green? Depending on wind, anything from 7 iron to 4 iron started out just right of center , as I am going to play a draw no matter what.

Aim for the left edge and try fade my 19° hybrid

5 iron

Stock answer would be 6 iron. Depending on conditites, pin location, my swing that day, desired shot shape it could be anywhere between 3 wood and 7 iron.

It would depend a bit for me but it would either be a 5 wood or a 3 wood depending on a few things like what is in front of the green and how bad is it to be long. 210 yards is a bit of an in between distance for me. 5W is about 200-205 and 3W is probably 210-220 depending on how it rolls out. If there isn't trouble short it is 5W if there is it may be 3W although there isn't a huge difference in carry distance my 3W just rolls out more.

Depending on wind, 6 or 5 irons.

I'd play it from the up tees. Not being funny or sarcastic, my driver distance is about 210 yards and 180-yard forced carries just aren't part of my game.

If there was no such thing as an up tee on that hole I'd just hit my driver and hope by some miracle it ends up in a playable spot. If not, I'd take an X on the hole and move on. There's no meaningful strategy possible for my game in that situation, it's a totally penal do-or-die hole.

As they say, a man's gotta know his limitations.

Hybrid at center of green. It might move in either direction but I’m not going to guess it and aim one side over the other. 195-210 is the range so I’ll take anything close, get my bogey with a smile and move on. That length of a hole for me is a “don’t give up the double”.
my man! Reminds me of our first hole at The Grandaddy when you hit your hybrid over the water and stuck it in the middle of the green and Neubarth asked about your HC! Then I hook one to the right in the rocks haha.

That's a long Par 3. 4 or 5i for me, depending how it sets up with the eye, wind, shot shape, etc.

Probably a 5i, but with wind and low temps, 3h.

Flat hole with no wind that's probably a 5 wood for me. #17 at my home course is a similar length but because it's downhill it's usually a 4, 5, or 6 iron depending upon pin placement and wind.

Last edited:
Assuming no wind, and no elevation change, I'm probably hitting 6 iron. Probably going to play it in the front of my stance a bit to get a little more height and land it a bit more gently. It also gets me a few extra yards.

~Rock

Back