first thought would be a 5W or a 7W depending on conditions

A 210 par 3? I'll play a hard 7W and end up somewhere left of the green. (head = chip on; tails = chunk. it's heads) Chip on. Two putt. Bogey.

210 yards? Before or after I most likely miss the green?

3 Hybrid of 4 iron depending on the wind.

Last edited:
wide green. But it is slightly uphill, maybe 10 yards.
I hit a 6 iron that landed short, and on the left side of the green, but it hit a mound and rolled 20 yards to the left.
or i hit a 5iron but thin that landed 10 feet for an easy par. THEN i hit a 5 iron that was supposed to drawbut never did so ilanded 30 yds to the right which ended up as abogey.

Last edited:
Stock 4 Hybrid...

how do you play a 210 yard par 3? bunkers on left and right, water in front you need to carry 180. to the left.

It just occurred to me that I play one exactly like that a lot. @ttucliffhanger says it's his favorite. :p

Screenshot_20210610-215406_TheGrint.jpgScreenshot_20210610-215433_TheGrint.jpg
20210610_215751.jpg

Wind is usually in off the right and it's a good 5i for me to the center.

Either 5i or 4H depending on pin placement. Generally prefer to be under the pin so would probably lean 5i.

Depends what your clubs setup is. I have about a 205 club I could hit confidently in this described situation, but if there is any wind it jumps up to a 230 club and then it's going to be some type of held off hit and pray it gets somewhere relatively playable. I'm not even really thinking about the water at that point.

With the intent to carry it 195 or so, it's a 6-iron or 5-iron, depending how I feel. Early in the round? Very likely 5-iron.

6i would easily clear the water with a chance to get me there but I’d probably just go the safe route with a 5i

@Hamfist would drive to the next tee box and watch me hit it into the water.:alien:

uncanny comparison. no one mentioned going over. IN THAT picture I wouldnt mind. I would take my 4 iron off a tee maybe hit a fade

At 210, I'm probably hitting 5W. I'm definitely aiming for the side of the green with the most room. In the bunker is OK. I'll have a putt at par but walk away content with a bogey on a hole like that.

4 hybrid for me, expecting some roll out after the ball touches down.

how do you play a 210 yard par 3? bunkers on left and right, water in front you need to carry 180. to the left.
There is a lot of information missing that could be useful.

Is it a stream or a pond you have to carry? In other words, do you have to carry over water from tee to 30 yards short of the green?
What's in front those last 30 yards to the green? Rough? Wasteland? A significant burn?
What's the slope of the green?
What's the green speed and how receptive is this green?
What's behind the green?
Any bailout spots left or right short of the 180 carry?
Where is the flag?

I dont have the specific details. Flag is in middle back. Its a pond like in the picture posted. What is your answer? you need to carry 180 if you dont youll need to drop in drop zone.

Its just a fun question based on a real hole. but there are many long par 3s just like this.

I like the picture because I would probably be teeing up across the little bridge, still could find the water so would be trying the left side.

For me, we have a few par 3s with similar characteristics. If the slope in front of the green is slight and the grass isn't gnarly, I'm going to aim for the fat of the green and hit a straight shot with my 3 hybrid, land it 10-15 yards short of the green and let it run up and on rolling toward the back of the green. Knowing now that the flag is middle back, there is no reason for me to favor one side over the other to eliminate being short-sided in one of the bunkers. I'm assuming one bunker is similar to the other.

I'm using a 3-hybrid instead of a 4-hybrid because that much water creates a bit of a downdraft this time of year and the flag is back, so your 210 yard nominal distance is going to play more like 230 yards. If I feel I need a little more, I might set up for a tight draw, instead of a straight shot.

If there is thick or gnarly rough between the water and the green, I'll pull my fairway metal and setup for a high fade so it carries onto the green, then settles without a lot of run out.

You forget to mention what's behind nthe green.
In the case of our par 3 6th with water carry, there's a slight bailout long-right, but just long or long left will see you in a different water obstacle or bouncing away into oblivion.

180y+ is a full, well struck 5 or 4i for me. Or woods, of course, but for the moment I refuse to use these on par 3s on principle, lol.

I've grown reasonably confident in my irons over the last few outings, but if there's an option to lay up short and hit a wedge into the green I might still consider it outside of casual play

Depending on the wind and other conditions, it would be 4, 5, or 6 iron shot.

I play it from the front tees at about 160 and hit my 7 wood and land it in the middle of the green

Back