CobraX51

F-ck Yeah Baby!
Reaction score
Handicap
I tried stalling to make this thread as long as I could until the struggles haven't went away.

In my last 6 rounds I have played 25 Par 3s. Hitting 3 greens. THREE.

Oddly enough it has my scoring average at 3.7, it just feels so much worse when you consistently miss so many greens.

The issue really came about the round before when I had 2 shanks on the front 9 Par 3s. The back 9 Par 3s I blocked both to the right, just thankful to get the ball in the air at that point in the round, and one went into the water. +7 on the day on Par 3s, fantastic.

Last round first Par 3 I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a small image of the issues at the tee box. I stepped up and blocked it right. The next one I hit a fat short iron. Both resulted in bogeys.

Back 9 a small pull to the left, and then the last a fat shot short, resulting in one bogey and one par. +3 on the Par 3s isn't awful but the ball striking isn't where I'd want it to be especially when it's on a tee!

I love Par 3s but my GIR would beg to differ on these holes(28.2%). I definitely won't just put the ball on the ground because it's a nice advantage to use a tee. I guess prior to the round I could tee up a few irons just to get some sort of rhythm? Or even play a Par 3 course haha.

Question is. What's your mindset when it comes to Par 3s?

I have always teed up my shots a little higher than most, just give me a little more confidence that I can make clean contact and eliminated the thought of hitting a fat shot and making a divot that looks like someone took a shovel to the ground. I have no stats to prove this, but I think par 3s are usually where I have the best chance to get par during a round.

I often struggle on them as far as hitting greens as well for some reason. Should be the easiest iron shots of the day with the ability to get a perfect lie by putting a tee under the ball. I tend to pull hook my irons off par 3 tees. The wind at all 4 of the par 3's tends to have a big impact on shots as all 4 are pretty much devoid of any trees on the holes while the remaining are tree lined from tee to green. I am probably guilty of over thinking the influence of the wind.

I hear you. Par 3's can give me fits. I was thinking about this the other day. No data like you have, but anecdotally I don't hit many par 3 greens. For some reason the tee shot on a par 3 makes me more nervous than a similar length approach shot on a par 4 or 5. They often setup in ways that give me trouble. I tell myself that 3 is always a good score and 4 is just fine on the par 3s. Doesn't really help. I've put a bunch of work into my swing this winter and my consistency has increased. My hope is that I can overcome some of the nerves with some solid swings. If I am going to meet my goals for 2020, I will have to score better on par 3s. TBD.

Move up a set of tees

Par 3s used to eat my lunch. So far this year, averaging 3.06 so I’m far more comfortable and confident. Always practice clubs on the range I’m likely to use on the par 3s.

On the course, tee up a touch higher. Stand behind to find alignment point about 3’ in front of the ball. Shorter irons setup a touch towards the toe. 3/4 swing speed. Enough club to get middle of the green. Aim center of the green regardless of the pin location.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find my biggest issue on par 3's is really focusing on a line and target. Get too focused on the pin, instead of where to start the ball.

It's funny the set of holes that seems to straight forward is so difficult.

Rather than just pull a club to cover the distance on a par-3, I'll put a little more thought and planning into the shot and club selection. For example, if the pin is up front, I'll tee my ball up a touch higher and play a high cut, sometimes with less club and a harder swing. If the pin is in back, I'll typically select more club and try to hit the middle of the green with a lower trajectory and will try to get the ball to release back to the pin.

I also try to shape my shot to maximize the chances of hitting the green and putting from the best direction.

All this has improved my par-3 play and confidence on those holes. **None of this applies to our 4th hole on the Pinehurst nine at Atascocita - I miss that green 75% of the time for some reason...** lol

My big thought is don't over swing. When I do it results in a pull and a miss.

I generally do better on par 3's. I screw up par 5's and long par 4's the most.

Par 3's I do ok on. With pretty solid yardage, I just swing normally and go for it. If it is in between yardage, I will club up and do my 1/2-3/4 swing.

I struggle with par 3s as well. Usually not a distance thing as much as a push or pull (an occasional top) that never fails to put my in a bad position. Yesterday I doubled 3 of the 4 par 3s.

I feel your pain. All I want to do is get it on the green from the teebox. That being said the mental headcase I become to just hit the green is always astounding to me. The rare times I do get it on the green I go into the putt thinking just get it within 3-5 feet of the hole so that the 2nd putt is more manageable. That has been my putting thoughts lately and it seems to help, "just make the second putt manageable".

I can't use a tee on a par 3 as that totally messes me up for some reason. It's like I don't feel I can hit down on the ball or I'll miss underneath or something. If you hit the same iron fine from the turf I'd try losing the tee first and keeping that a consistent shot. I think a lot of people run into trouble by hitting at the pin when they should just be trying to get the ball on the green. I just try to get my ball right in the middle and then 50% of the time my poor accuracy will put me close to the pin anyway. I think it pays to be mindful of the clubs you're actually hitting in a round when you practice too. I'm Driver/9i on most par 4s, and 8i or 9i on par 3s, so when I practice those are the clubs I focus on. A buddy of mine will go and practice with all the clubs in his bag then never hit half of them and to me that seems like wasted time.

Move up a set of tees

how would that help? it doesn't seem like op is saying he's flushing the ball but always coming up short. or that he's missing the par 3s because he's always pulling long irons or hybrids.

I struggle mightily with par 3's as well. Only hit 1 out of 4 greens yesterday, mostly due to a rubbish winter swing. Going to start taking one more club and trying to commit to a 3/4 swing instead of trying to nut every single one.

i'm with you, bud. my par 3 gir seems to be much lower than 4s or 5s. I don't exactly know why. spitballing, but something that might help both of us is to only focus on the yardage to the center of the green, always play to the center (instead of at pins), and to take one extra club and swing easy.

how would that help? it doesn't seem like op is saying he's flushing the ball but always coming up short. or that he's missing the par 3s because he's always pulling long irons or hybrids.

wouldn't be hitting those clubs.

Bro I'm playing 6000-6400 yard tee boxes here, I'm hitting no more than 6iron on a given Par 3, I haven't hit a hybrid into a Par 3 in weeks and coincidentally when I did I hit the green. Saturday alone it was 7i,9i,9i,9i. Sure some windy conditions but I'm just talking about the strikes itself, it's just super inconsistent, and just completely missing when I feel I should be doing much better but their is some sort of block, perhaps between the ears.

So I'm seeing the suggestion and/or tip a lot of clubbing up and taking that 3/4 swing.

In theory it makes a lot of sense, it's really cool when people saw-off a swing and flight it lower or control the trajectory more to hit a spot, I actually tried it twice on accident last round and it worked out from the fairway, but with my swing it's 100% a full swing.

I always tell myself to work on the knockdown or 3/4 finish but just never do, perhaps this is an indication to add this shot in my game.

So I'm seeing the suggestion and/or tip a lot of clubbing up and taking that 3/4 swing.

In theory it makes a lot of sense, it's really cool when people saw-off a swing and flight it lower or control the trajectory more to hit a spot, I actually tried it twice on accident last round and it worked out from the fairway, but with my swing it's 100% a full swing.

I always tell myself to work on the knockdown or 3/4 finish but just never do, perhaps this is an indication to add this shot in my game.

As hard as you've practiced over the last couple year's to get where you are, this will be just another day at the office for you haha.

Bro I'm playing 6000-6400 yard tee boxes here, I'm hitting no more than 6iron on a given Par 3, I haven't hit a hybrid into a Par 3 in weeks and coincidentally when I did I hit the green. Saturday alone it was 7i,9i,9i,9i. Sure some windy conditions but I'm just talking about the strikes itself, it's just super inconsistent, and just completely missing when I feel I should be doing much better but their is some sort of block, perhaps between the ears.

BRO - It says you're an 11.8 handicap assuming you score roughly around 80 for a round.

If you hit 5 greens is 27.77777777777% 6 greens is 33.3333333333333% 7 greens is 38.88888%

Let's say you consistently play a Par 72 course barring a weird hole setup you're looking at four Par 3s four Par 5s and 10 Par 4s.

22% of the the holes that you play are Par 3s - not including forced carries/water whatever mind**** the course designer put in.

If you're averaging 28/29% you're hitting slightly more than one GIR per 4 greens which means your other 4/5 GIRs are coming on what split it two 5s (maybe 3) and Par 4s? I think the percentage are right around where you should be depending on the course especially if it's 6,000-6,400 yards.

What is your GIR rate with your 7i/9i on approach shots on Par 4/5s? Is it 50% or is it similar to your par 3 average?

If you're concerned about your 3.7 scoring rate, it's about where you're missing and being able to get up and down. I played four par 3s yesterday had 0 GIRs and 2 pars and one bogey and a snowman - which was more bad luck than anything.

I treat Par 3s has Par holes, I just want to make a 3 if the pin placement is favorable maybe I make a two there

I think your expectations are higher than they should be. Don't worry and press it, it's golf, R-E-L-A-X have FUN don't think about it you'll be fine.

I believe that (on any golf course) par 3 holes are the most challenging holes to make par.

Maybe I'm reading wrong but seems to be some condescension in here.

Figure out what you are hitting frequently, head to the range, and visualize the hole. But know I'm saying this and I stink at par 3's. Goal is to always walk off with no worse than a 4.

from his first post, it didn't seem like it was a yardage issue. more of a mental hurdle. I can definitely relate. hit a green with a 6i from the fairway, miss a green with a 9i on a par 3. no idea why.

Back