It's not that hard for me to believe. While some of those who make this claim may be incorrect, I would suggest @greg19 knows his game better than anyone else.

Now if someone is making that statement based on what they hear on the Golf Channel....

For me, a partial swing is easier than a full swing and being closer to the hole offers a larger margin of error with both distance and dispersion. But everyone is different. It's not that my partial swing is good, it's that my full swing is just that poor. To some, the full swing is easier and more repeatable. Ask them to "take something off" and it becomes a difficult task both mechanically and by feel.

Here's an example @rollin, one exception to "closer is better" for me is that I struggle with a flop shot or opening up the club face, and with my 60° wedge in general. So if I have a bunker in front of flag, I'd rather be a bit further out because of that weakness. From a little further out, I can swing a bit harder with a sand wedge and get the higher flight I need for a softer landing. It's a weakness that is holding me back, but it is real none-the-less.

Of course, if I took 100 swings with that 60° wedge, I'd probably start improving.:unsure:
Ive actually been guilty of exactly what you mention as well. Ive also felt Id rather be further for a given shot. But then I realized something. Its not the shot that is the problem but is the choice of shot we take that is the problem. So Im close to a bunker and a close pin. lets face it...not the at all a desirsble scenario. But the issue is trying to get too cute with it. I mean if Im further away i still have a close pin ticked just inside a bunker (that part doesn't change). I have realize no one is going to die if I hit the ball longer than Id like instead of trying to be too cute and softly flop one inches past the bunker so it stays close to the pin. Unfortunately i still try to get too cute instead of just hitting the freaking ball and getting it on the green. And im pretty good at lag putting which makes my choice even dumber cause Ive got a much better chance at sinking the ball 2 strokes later via putting vs ending up in the bunker and then still having to get up and down.

I hear this and similarly said stuff often. But I would like to see if it actually holds true for the majority of folks who say it. I mean hit 100 shots each from both 100 and from 70 and see just which one leaves you with more greens hit and also closer to the hole.
And besides, whos to say the choice will always be 100 vs 70? I mean do we hit that exact on second shots to truly know we will get to 100 or 70? What if the 100 ends up being 120 or 130 or 85? Or what if the 70 ends up being 80 or 50? I mean how often are we hitting to an exact yardage in the first place? even a better player lower capper isnt always right in the desired yardage especially when not talking approaching the green. A bounce one way or another in the fairway or a shot taken not as good as attempted or perhaps one taken much purer than expected. etc,etc.

Im not suggesting this would hold true to everyone at all but I will bet that majority of amateurs would do better to a green and pin from 70 vs from 100, Or from 50 vs 80, or from 100 vs 130 regardless their own feelings that they wouldnt.

I'm not saying I purposely hit to 100 yards on every hole to set up a full GW shot. I'm just saying that I am definitely more confident standing over my ball from around 100 yards vs around 65/70 yards and hitting the green. As we know confidence really helps a game! I have no problem chipping onto a green. It's just the half swing that gets into my head.

Grip it & Rip It! Let the big dog eat! Etc. Etc.

I will always hit as close to the green as possible for a number of reasons.
  1. I don't have a problem with half or 3/4 shots .... actually I prefer them.
  2. I hate hitting to a number to lay up.
  3. I can duff a shot from 100 yards more often than I can shank a pitch from 40 yards
  4. I hit more greens in regulation the closer I am to the green
  5. I get closer to the hole more often the closer I am = more birdie chances from closer in
  6. As long as there is no trouble, I'm always going to go for it regardless of the distance to reach it.
  7. I have a tendency to 3-putt more often than I would like, so the closer I am to the hole, the better

I generally hit my second shot as far as possible. I'm pretty good with a wedge so I don't mind partial shots.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

If I have a chance to make the green, I’ll always go for it but if I know my layup will be 20-60, most of the time I’ll lay up to 80-100. We had so much rain this year that the soggiest parts of the fairways were in the 20-60 yard area and you had to pick it so clean which was not my forte this year.

I heard a data analyst on Michael Breed say that the better play on a close to reachable par 5 for a player is to get as close to the green as possible with your second shot (avoiding any hazards, etc) rather than laying up to a specific yardage for the third shot.

I can (usually) comfortably hit my 3W off the deck out to about 235-40. If I’m say 280 out, I’m going to try to get close to the green. Much more than that and I’m trying to get the ball about 100-110 out.

What says THP?
For me it depends where the pin placement is as I struggle with my wedges at times. The logical play for me would be to lay up between 130 - 150 yds as I’m confident with a 8i -PW in my hands and leads to a better outcome and score.

just ask @JB after weleft ourselves with 62yds and our entire group missed the green.

For me it depends where the pin placement is as I struggle with my wedges at times. The logical play for me would be to lay up between 130 - 150 yds as I’m confident with a 8i -PW in my hands and leads to a better outcome and score.

just ask @JB after weleft ourselves with 62yds and our entire group missed the green.

That was not our best moment :ROFLMAO:

I always get as close to green as possible. Especially on a par 5. One par 5 of note for me, I was able to get within 20 yards in front of green on my second shot. Started with a 254 yard drive off of the tee in fairway, then a 213 yard 5 wood shot. Chipped up wihth my 60* and then 2 putt for par. Doesn't always happen that cleanly for me and could have certainly been birdie if I was just a bit softer with the putter. :ROFLMAO:

for me, it's the opposite. if i go for it with a long club, even if it's just to advance as close as possible, i can bring in some big numbers if (when) i hit a bad shot. it's much better for me to lay up in the 75 to 120 yard range, and go for the easy par.

for me, it's the opposite. if i go for it with a long club, even if it's just to advance as close as possible, i can bring in some big numbers if (when) i hit a bad shot. it's much better for me to lay up in the 75 to 120 yard range, and go for the easy par.
Easy and par can't be used in the same sentence for me yet. :ROFLMAO:

Since I no longer can get close with my second shot on a par five, I hit the second shot and hope I can get inside 150 for my third. Heck I have a hard time getting close on some of the par 4's at my course. On those holes I hit as far as I can and hope I can get up and down for par.

It's rare that I can reach a par 5 in two, so the closer the better for me.

I remember reading this in Broadie's book. I think it depends on two factors:

1. How accurate you are with the 3W off the deck (as opposed to the lay up to 100 club.
2. How accurate you are with 30-60 yard shots vs. your lay up distance.

I am more consistent from 100 yards than from 60.

Back