Paralysis by Overanalysis: Where are you guilty with golf gear?

Probably swingweight for me. I'm constantly playing with the lead tape trying to find that perfect balance. Definitely more than I ever should.

For me, I think it's anything besides weight when it comes to shaft. If I'm in the wrong weight things go super sideways. But within that weight, I've played a bunch of profiles with success.

Different grind options on wedges. I played universal soles for so long that this stuff is pretty much a mystery for me.
This for me as well. Finally hitting my wedges much better this year, which of course makes me wonder about grinds and could I see improvement with a better (for me) grind choice. I have hit the pin so many damn times this year I have to think the wedges I have must be a pretty good match.

Balls and obsession over the optimal compression. It is 55 lol. Also, grips. Keep on experimenting and it gets expensive, too.

Iron shaft weight. Always wondering if I should go heavier.

I used to also over analyze wedge shafts until I’ve basically settled on S400 being e best overall wedge shaft for my game.

Lastly, the fw spot is always a tough one for me to fill and just settle on. If.....if....I find one I kinda like, I then manage to find something I don’t love about it.

SW and shaft flex are the two I am most nuts about, but since a X flex in one is a Stiff in another it has been trail and error to get the woods setup and X works fine in those but not in the irons. Also I tend to blind buy since having tried so many different options I thought I knew what I was doing, come to find I don't and the MCI black have been a struggle so far.

But one more round of tinkering should have the bag set for the rest of the year....

I am guilty of it too. I have been looking at new irons for most of the season but despite spousal approval to be able to buy clubs i have not gotten myself to pull the plug.

Probably the golf ball. My swing has changed so much over the years that I don't really know what I should be using. I need to find that happy medium for best driver and iron performance and stick with it.

I am not sure I overanalyze anything. I just like to try everything. If I do, it is probably lofts.

None of it to the extent that I think it’s negatively affecting my scores.

But ALL of it when it comes to trying to find that perfect combo regardless of club. Length, swing weight, shaft weight/flex/bend profile, grip style and size, layers of tape, lie angle, loft for optimizing launch and spin, the golf ball I play and how it affects launch numbers, carry, and total. Even down to where I play the ball in my stance and how much difference the thickness of the soles of my golf shoes affect my wrist to floor and subsequent needed lie angles.

My scores have only improved. So I’ll keep working on it all until the scores start going the other way.

Clubs between driver and 4i. Also, wedge set up.

Lie angle and offset. I know its a swing flaw, but there isn't a golf club made that I can't draw, over draw, pull or flat out hook. A strong fade set up leads to a 5 yard fade. I make myself remember it on the course.

Shafts, maybe. There is a very fine line between desired ball flight and really undesired ball flight with my swing. Little shaft changes have dramatic effect.

Back