Paralysis by Overanalysis: Where are you guilty with golf gear?

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Title says it!

Where is you area of equipment overanalysis? Loft? Weight? Brand? Grip size? Flex?

We are all friends here, so step forward and own it!

I guess all of it, to an extent; which is why I started getting fitted for everything so someone else can figure that ish out.

All of it...

For me, it's lie angle.

Up until five years ago I never cared about it. Then I got fit at Club Champion and saw I would benefit from "1-degree flat." That phrase stuck in my mind for months, especially as I got new equipment thereafter. I assumed I needed EVERYTHING 1-degree flat, no matter what.

What I failed to realize was there is NO standard in golf equipment... so 1-degree flat compared to what?

I've of course learned that there are specific lie angles that perform best for my swing, to the number. So now I focus on bending my clubs to those numbers, if needed. Of course, if my ball flight is fine as-is, then no bending required.

Used to be everything, but now its nothing. Getting a good fitting and trusting it was the key for me to move forward.

In the past I've spent way too much time thinking about iron length, lie, and loft.

I have questions and uncertainty in many club aspects: shaft weight, shaft type, grip type and size, wedge brand.

But analysis paralysis hits me most at type of clubs to play. Fitters have wanted to put me in clubs I think are beyond my ability. I have this notion I need more extras and help. I’m not seeing my scores improving. I also feel that as an older (but not old) golfer I should be considering different options. IDK. And then when I hit different types of clubs I don’t see meaningful differences. I get confused, even frustrated. For example I hit say a GI iron (HM) worse than something like a 919T. But I am far from a good golfer. I think I have potential and to become a better player. I can be randomly confident and playful online, but out here I feel somewhat lost in where I fit in this game, equipment spectrum, and even this forum (in terms of trying to get better or just here for a fun group). Learning all of those I hope. ⛑

Last edited:
Swing weight and lie angle to the point where I even realize that I am being ridiculous.

Head shape. I can't get past the size of some game improvement irons and hybrids. They just don't fit my eye and I don't hit them well

Mine is with the putter as it’s easily the worst part of my game. I added 7 putters this year to the collection which is numbers close to 40 now. I’ve also tried all sorts of different grips(Winn, Superstroke Flatcat) and grips(placement of my hands), lol!:oops:

Hello, my name is JBC3, and I am an internet golfer! :LOL: In all reality, I go by my fitting using the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer.

Putter neck and grip. I’m a mess when it comes to that now and I struggle to find something I love

The equipment is not my overanalysis problem, it is definitely the user (me!) that I overanaylize. Is it my take away, I’m coming in too steep, I slice too many drives, too fat, or too thin, it’s always something. I do have a swing coach and we have specifics we work on but it’s my head that gets in the way! He always tells me those are all symptoms of the problem. So every other week, we work on the problem which is me not the equipment! I know I can improve and I’m definitely improving but this game is like the tortoise and the hare. If you want to rush and take short cuts, it’s going to be painful and I’m going to lose in the long run. Taking it slow and steady, like the hare, is the only way but it’s really hard because that’s not my personality.

I have questions and uncertainty in many club aspects: shaft weight, shaft type, grip type and size, wedge brand.

But analysis paralysis hits me most at type of clubs to play. Fitters have wanted to put me in clubs I think are beyond my ability. I have this notion I need more extras and help. I’m not seeing my scores improving. I also feel that as an older (but not old) golfer I should be considering different options. IDK. And then when I hit different types of clubs I don’t see meaningful differences. I get confused, even frustrated. For example I hit say a GI iron (HM) worse than something like a 919T. But I am far from a good golfer. I think I have potential and to become a better player. I can be randomly confident and playful online, but out here I feel somewhat lost in where I fit in this game, equipment spectrum, and even this forum. Learning all of those I hope. ⛑
Wow Dog! It is like you mirrored my mind! I'm so lost in what I should be playing for shafts, clubs, lie angle, the whole works! About the only thing I know for sure is I'm happy with my ball(Q-Star Tour) and to never take my shoes off while flying! ?

I've always over thought golf grips, trying to find the perfect one for me and it ends up taking a month longer than it should be because I try to look at every option possible and try them out in the store when I can too. Never had a grip where I felt "ugh I shouldn't have gotten those", so I guess whatever I have been doing is working???

For me, it's lie angle.

Up until five years ago I never cared about it. Then I got fit at Club Champion and saw I would benefit from "1-degree flat." That phrase stuck in my mind for months, especially as I got new equipment thereafter. I assumed I needed EVERYTHING 1-degree flat, no matter what.

What I failed to realize was there is NO standard in golf equipment... so 1-degree flat compared to what?

I've of course learned that there are specific lie angles that perform best for my swing, to the number. So now I focus on bending my clubs to those numbers, if needed. Of course, if my ball flight is fine as-is, then no bending required.

I have started a spreadsheet with specs of my current irons (seem to be fitted well enough for me in terms of lie angle and length) and all other irons I am considering. And it is very interesting that if I were to just say 2 up is my thing, I would be off with most other clubs. To keep the same lie angle with my 2 up Mizunos, I would be 1 up with Callaway. And I also wonder if absolute lie angle (e.g., 64) means the same thing across different irons based on head design.

i guess i fall into the "all of it" category as well because i literally have no idea what any of it means in terms of performance.

but if i have to pick one thing is wedges, specifically gapping and bounce.

Easy peasy. Changing the length of my putter. As I keep playing around with different grips and putters etc. I find myself tinkering with the length of my putter. Currently have putters from 33" to 38"

Putters. Hoping my fitting this weekend helps take care of it. I switch so often because I go back and forth about what toe hang might work best, and what weight might work best, and if different grips would help more than others.

Different grind options on wedges. I played universal soles for so long that this stuff is pretty much a mystery for me.

For me, it's lie angle.

yea this is huge. Mizuno is one that sticks out to me as a company that tends to start much flatter than others.

For me it was loft. When I came back 2 years ago I just bought a set of clubs I liked. I didn’t realize that 23° five irons were considered “jacked”. So since then I have been focused on building my set with closer to normal lofts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver & FW shafts. I've always chased something 'just a little better' and managed to strike gold once or twice, when I'm sure most OEM stock offerings would suit me just fine.

All of it because I’m a ? head case

for me, it's the golf ball and putter grip. I'm obsessed with both and a complete headcase trying to find the perfect one for me.

Shafts in general- One fitter puts you into this, the next puts you into something different and the 3rd tells you that neither was right and you need to be here.

Back