Pardon Me: Have you seen my ball? An interesting interaction

I've lost several balls over the years to people picking them up, and I'm sure I have been the offender a couple of times as well.
But in the last 6 or 8 years I haven't bothered to pick up a "lost ball" in a fairway. I'll leave them for someone who needs it more than I do.
I was the offender a couple times when I first started golfing and didn't know any better, and I felt like a complete idiot. Since then, I don't touch a ball on the course unless there's absolutely zero chance that it could be anybody else's ball in play. I just don't want to be "that guy".

I was the offender a couple times when I first started golfing and didn't know any better, and I felt like a complete idiot. Since then, I don't touch a ball on the course unless there's absolutely zero chance that it could be anybody else's ball in play. I just don't want to be "that guy".

I don’t touch or pick up any balls that I encounter.

A rule of thumb, not sure if this is "official" or "known amongst golfers" but the higher hole plays first.

In this case you and your partner should've hit before the other guy, for courtesy more than anything. If he happen to hit like he did before you guys, so be it. Weird situation though hah.
Merely from a pace of play perspective, this makes perfect sense to me. In this case we were the first group out, and under normal circumstances would incur no resistance to normal progression of our round, but in this case 3 golfers were forced to wait on 1. Yes, Dave and I could have easily hit once he had identified his ball on the other side of the fairway, but for us it was a courtesy thing - there was another player in the fairway who was about to hit so we waited. Just like if two of us are at the same distance but opposite sides of the fairway - one waits for the other so as not to have the sound of a strike distract the other.

Very puzzling situation for sure. But then again, had it not happened we wouldn't have the story to tell, right?

I don’t touch or pick up any balls that I encounter.
If I'm rummaging around in the bushes for one of my wayward shots and come across a ball I've been wanting to try, I'll pick it up (if it's 100% obviously not in play by somebody else) and put it in play for a few holes. If I find ProV1s, I give them to one of my playing partners - I don't play them, but he loves them. Otherwise, I leave them where they are. Other than occasionally trying a different ball as above, I play nothing but whatever ball is my current gamer.

I'm amazed at how many ProVs we find on the course - he says he hasn't bought balls in a couple years, just playing the ones we find on the course.

Had that this weekend. One three holes, same twosome.

Each time, they just drove onto our fairway. One of the guys was obviously just learning, so his cart mate was giving him lessons in our fairway. They get out. Go to ball. Talk about it. Guy B shows him how to swing. Guy A practices a couple, then hits. They then watch and discuss.

I hit over them twice after the first time.

people in my fairway are now targets......just sayin'. I you have to go to another fairway other than the hole you are playing.....you do not have honors. "nuff said"
I would never consider anyone a 'target'. You could actually do serious harm, up to and including death, to another individual. Yes, it gets frustrating someone taking liberties in your fairway, but don't respond foolishly.

I would never consider anyone a 'target'. You could actually do serious harm, up to and including death, to another individual. Yes, it gets frustrating someone taking liberties in your fairway, but don't respond foolishly.

take a pill skippy....humor in your life must be lacking

I enjoy this thread and the bizarre scenarios that sometimes occur on the course that have you just scratching your head. People can be weird. And that may be especially true on a golf course.

I’ve lost far too many balls to other golfers on adjacent holes who hit an errant tee shot and swoop over and nab my ball (often out of the rough :) ) without even playing it, “mistaking” it for my ball. I’m sorry, sir, but your MOJO is actually 30 yards into our fairway. It’s happened so many times I actually get a little anxiety when I see another cart come speeding over, assuming my ball will likely be gone. I’ve never confronted anyone over it, though.

But I have been confronted. Displeased with my sh***y duck hook off the tee, I hit a second ball “for fun,” blocking it big time. I play my original ball and my buddy drives us over to retrieve my second ball. A threesome is coming up the fairway, and I see 4 balls in the fairway. We swing over and nab mine quickly. As soon as we do, someone who must suffer from the same anxiety I mentioned above, veers off course and drives right to us. He’s shouting something we could not hear, and when he gets close we stop and he yells at me for stealing his ball. “He saw me put it in my pocket.” I asked him what he was playing. He said ProV no. 2. I pulled out my yellow/black Truvis. He looked embarrassed—his face was red the entire time—but didn’t even apologize. He then drove back to his hole, where his ball was sitting in the middle of the fairway. Just bizarre.

I’ve lost far too many balls to other golfers on adjacent holes who hit an errant tee shot and swoop over and nab my ball (often out of the rough :) ) without even playing it, “mistaking” it for my ball. I’m sorry, sir, but your MOJO is actually 30 yards into our fairway. It’s happened so many times I actually get a little anxiety when I see another cart come speeding over, assuming my ball will likely be gone. I’ve never confronted anyone over it, though.
Yesterday we were playing behind a threesome that were a bunch of knobs. On 18 (par 5), one of them parked his cart about 60 yards short of the green to hit his approach shot, and left it there when they walked up to the green to putt. I was laying up on my second shot, so I hit and my ball landed fairly close to their cart. They started walking off the green, and I hurried down there because I figured for sure they'd pick my ball up if they noticed it there, just seemed like those kinda guys.

My golf buddy and I see similar behavior often, we make a point to not be like “those people”. If our ball goes into an adjacent fairway and there is any chance that fairway is occupied, we drop, take a penalty and keep on moving. Sometimes we’ll find our ball as we play that hole, most times we don’t. Lost ball, penalty strokes don’t mean a thing as long as we are not like them.

More than bizarre, the guy just sounds like an a-hole.

I enjoy this thread and the bizarre scenarios that sometimes occur on the course that have you just scratching your head. People can be weird. And that may be especially true on a golf course.

But I have been confronted. Displeased with my ****** duck hook off the tee, I hit a second ball “for fun,” blocking it big time. I play my original ball and my buddy drives us over to retrieve my second ball. A threesome is coming up the fairway, and I see 4 balls in the fairway. We swing over and nab mine quickly. As soon as we do, someone who must suffer from the same anxiety I mentioned above, veers off course and drives right to us. He’s shouting something we could not hear, and when he gets close we stop and he yells at me for stealing his ball. “He saw me put it in my pocket.” I asked him what he was playing. He said ProV no. 2. I pulled out my yellow/black Truvis. He looked embarrassed—his face was red the entire time—but didn’t even apologize. He then drove back to his hole, where his ball was sitting in the middle of the fairway. Just bizarre.
It's hilarious how important that little white/yellow or red dimpled ball becomes when you potentially see someone heading towards it. Most of the time they are just trying to locate theirs, but man does it bring out a streak from some people....

Yesterday we were playing behind a threesome that were a bunch of knobs. On 18 (par 5), one of them parked his cart about 60 yards short of the green to hit his approach shot, and left it there when they walked up to the green to putt. I was laying up on my second shot, so I hit and my ball landed fairly close to their cart. They started walking off the green, and I hurried down there because I figured for sure they'd pick my ball up if they noticed it there, just seemed like those kinda guys.
Oh that's a whole 'nother topic right there - leaving the cart where it doesn't belong.

Maybe @Canadan could do a little off-course sometime on retrieving your ball from an adjacent fairway?

Oh that's a whole 'nother topic right there - leaving the cart where it doesn't belong.

Maybe @Canadan could do a little off-course sometime on retrieving your ball from an adjacent fairway?
hahaha "the most embarrassing walk on the golf course"

hahaha "the most embarrassing walk on the golf course"
We always joke "hey, xxxxx's going to go introduce himself to some new golfers"

Yep I have experience with that. As a player who find the “other” fairway somewhat often, I tend to wait for them to play before going to my ball. I think most people do wait, however every now and then, that guy shows up.

Back