Patrick Reed and 2 stroke penalty

I believe he was letting them know in his way that the rules around waste bunkers are BS....

The thing is, when i first heard the fact that he was assessed a two stroke penalty for packing sand or moving sand in a waste bunker, I thought it was from Thursdays round where i watched him take a practice swing in a bunker on TV. Or at least a back brush like movement. Turns out it was Fridays round earlier in the day. The guy is a great talent but why he does some of the shity he does, is beyond me
" Karma wins all, just give her time"

I believe he was letting them know in his way that the rules around waste bunkers are BS....

Except improving your lie, the infraction called, isn’t only for waste bunkers.

I mean you can support Reed, that’s fine. He has a reputation for what he is and he didn’t help better his public perception in this scenario.

Like a few have said...Reed did the same thing prior to being penalized....So who wouldn't think they could continue on with the same practice?
And there is nothing Reed can do to improve his public perception...as virtually every poster on this site refers to him as a cheater.
What I like best about Reed is that he owns Rory in match play....Haha

Like a few have said...Reed did the same thing prior to being penalized....So who wouldn't think they could continue on with the same practice?
And there is nothing Reed can do to improve his public perception...as virtually every poster on this site refers to him as a cheater.
What I like best about Reed is that he owns Rory in match play....Haha

Not sure what’s Reeds match play abilities has to do with this, but alright I see where this is heading.

I think this is significantly worse than what Phil did.

No one hits a moving ball without expecting to get penalized for it. In this case, I'd say it was pretty obvious that he was being devious.

From the camera angles it sure looked like he swept sand away from the back of the ball - twice. He's the only one who knows if it was intentional, and he's denying any cheating.

Maybe he thought he was taking advantage of the "grounding your club in a waste area" rule?

A lot of golfers don't trust him, and this action will only tend to make them not trust him more!

No one hits a moving ball without expecting to get penalized for it. In this case, I'd say it was pretty obvious that he was being devious.

Me also, Phil knows what's up.....he expected that one for sure; Reed? He just try to get away with it....

I’m no Patrick Reed fan, but having watched the clip in post 5, I’m gonna go with a mistake rather than intentional cheating. Surely if you are going to try and cheat in that fashion, you would have to be a complete idiot to not realize the cameras are going to pick that up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m no Patrick Reed fan, but having watched the clip in post 5, I’m gonna go with a mistake rather than intentional cheating. Surely if you are going to try and cheat in that fashion, you would have to be a complete idiot to not realize the cameras are going to pick that up.

I thought that vid made it MORE obvious, honestly.

Exactly, and the fact that he really never took a forward swing just kind of brought it back to the ball on the inside, its like that was the only intent, to brush the sand...

I mean, it doesn’t look good. Cheat is such a strong word though, even more so in the game of golf. Just seems crazy to me you’d try something like that on purpose knowing there’s a 99.99% chance you aren’t going to get away with it. I guess only he knows for sure.

thank you for very simply putting this. I completely agree! Reed was trying to to cheat at worse, at minimum get away with something. There can be a difference between those two.

Phil made a decision knowing what the result would be not expecting to escape it. Even though it looked bad.

I mean, it doesn’t look good. Cheat is such a strong word though, even more so in the game of golf. Just seems crazy to me you’d try something like that on purpose knowing there’s a 99.99% chance you aren’t going to get away with it. I guess only he knows for sure.

I’d argue it takes a pretty decent effort to shovel that much sand backwards, speaking from all my bunker practice. Intent is hard to argue but man, it just doesn’t look good.

When you're Patrick Reed you don't get the benefit of the doubt. He has to know that.

When you're Patrick Reed (or Vijay) you don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

I’d argue it takes a pretty decent effort to shovel that much sand backwards, speaking from all my bunker practice. Intent is hard to argue but man, it just doesn’t look good.

I’d definitely agree it doesn’t look good.

I think Reed just enjoys playing the villain. His explanation was weak and has marred his already dubious reputation. I actually think he is more comfortable in that role, almost like he can’t help himself. I used to root for him but after the last few years I have grown tired of his antics.

Haters gonna hate....Meantime the dude has clubs with his name on em....

He started an equipment company? Hadn't heard that, or is his wife writing his name on his clubs so they don't somehow get lost? Since he doesn't have any club sponsors anymore probably a good idea by Justine.

Just saw the video of his actions a little while ago. Definitely a bush league move on his part.

Crazy game - we can brush the grass during the takeaway but not the sand. One player can get help from the gallery to move a boulder without penalty, while another is branded a cheat by lightly brushing a mound of sand from a lie with a pile of sand behind the ball.

Crazy game - we can brush the grass during the takeaway but not the sand. One player can get help from the gallery to move a boulder without penalty, while another is branded a cheat by lightly brushing a mound of sand from a lie with a pile of sand behind the ball.
Hitting the grass on the takeaway does not alter the lie as the grass almost always returns to the same condition.

Now, if you’re in the tall grass and you were to move it out of the way? That’s of course the same type of penalty

from a logical standpoint the rule makes perfect sense.

Crazy game - we can brush the grass during the takeaway but not the sand.

In a waste bunker one is permitted to "brush the sand on the takeaway". What's not permitted is what Reed did, which is use practice strokes to brush away the sand behind his ball, so as to improve his lie.
Had Reed brushed away sand/soil during the actual takeaway of his intended stroke, there would be no breach of the Rules. In fact he could have (and should have) done exactly that.

I’d be inclined to agree with you if he only did it once. Twice is a bad look and hard to ignore.

What Patrick "I'm a thief, liar, and cheat" Reed did is not even close to what Phil did. Phil is a HOFer that decided he'd rather take 2 penalty strokes and draw attention to the USGA's stupidity. Reed attempted to get away with something to gain an advantage on the field. Shady is the nicest word that can describe it. It would be so awesome if Tiger would remove him from the President's Cup team. Otherwise, I hope he loses all of his matches. I'd, obviously, like to see the U.S. win, but if Reed losing all his matches means we need to lose one to prove a point, then so be it. Same goes for the Ryder Cup. I'd rather see Reed lose all his matches.

I was not a Patrick Reed hater nor did I care about any of the stuff he'd done in the past, but this to me was an obvious cheat.

It's a shame. The guy has enough talent to win on the tour without doing this stuff.
Or does he. Once a cheat always a cheat. His reputation precedes him. He’s done this exact cheat before. There’s a video online from 2015 with him doing the exact same thing.

Back