Patrick Reed and 2 stroke penalty

The biggest problem I have with this is they are turning every players press conference for the presidents cup into their views on this thing and it’s annoying.

Given a player is supposed to assess penalty strokes on himself, why didn't they just let him sign his card after the round so the DQ would've been justified for signing an incorrect scorecard.

Doesn't look like he will. The press couldn't stop asking questions about him in the press conference I watched today and, sadly, Tiger stood by him and defended him.

I think Tiger is handling the situation well. If he had kicked Reed off the team that would have brought a different kind of drama, which I am sure Tiger did not want.
Fortunately most PGA Tour players are willing to honor and respect the Rules of the Game, so I think issues brought on by guys like Reed are few and far between.

"Now, it's personal."

As it should be. He's the one who personally cheated. Not sure why it wouldn't be personal.

Haha at Tiger kicking someone off the team for cheating. He didn’t DQ himself or even penalize himself, he certainly isn’t going to do it to someone else.

thr stories share similarities with players sounding off against it, etc. I guess people forget 5-6 years ago.

Fun thread! Would read again!

Haha at Tiger kicking someone off the team for cheating. He didn’t DQ himself or even penalize himself, he certainly isn’t going to do it to someone else.

thr stories share similarities with players sounding off against it, etc. I guess people forget 5-6 years ago.

This is what pisses me off about the "haters gonna hate" mentality. I don't hate Patrick Reed and Tiger is my favorite player to watch. My opinions on their honesty and character (or lack thereof) doesn't change the fact that they can play this game at an incredible level. Likewise, the fact that I enjoy watching them isn't going to influence my opinion when I see what I believe to be intent.

Respecting the rules should matter to the guys and gals on tour. It should matter that golf fans and their peers might think of them as cheats. But perhaps for a small percentage of them, the only thing keeping them from cheating more often are all the cameras and subsequent penalties strokes. Being a gifted athlete does not automatically bring about a higher level of character.

DQ or penalize for what?

DQ or penalize for what?

The Masters Drop.
When countless players and analysts criticized him and some even said "anybody else would be DQ'd".

The Masters Drop.
When countless players and analysts criticized him and some even said "anybody else would be DQ'd".

I'm not familiar with the situation.

Do you agree that Reed could have been legitimately DQ'd if he'd signed the scorecard without the penalty strokes since he should have rightfully assessed them himself?

I'm not familiar with the situation.

Do you agree that Reed could have been legitimately DQ'd if he'd signed the scorecard without the penalty strokes since he should have rightfully assessed them himself?

A few years ago Lexi Thompson cheated (did not replace her ball on the putting green where her ball had actually lay). She signed her card but instead of DQ they gave her penalty strokes.

That explains why I want familiar with it. I wad or of golf in 2013.

You still didn't answer my question.

A few years ago Lexi Thompson cheated (did not replace her ball on the putting green where her ball had actually lay). She signed her card but instead of DQ they gave her penalty strokes.
Ugh... just stupid. The penalty for signing an incorrect scorecard is supposed to be DQ.

Ugh... just stupid. The penalty for signing an incorrect scorecard is supposed to be DQ.

The saddest part was that the media , other pro players, fans , etc... made Lexi out to be the victim.

Too bad Reed is a solid player; he is wholly unlikable... Choppstixx is right - I might be more charitable to any other player. But "ef" Reed!

Feel feel feel......we are not dumb that Reed did not feel his club touching something.

Blind blind blind....we are not dumb to believe he did not see the sand has moved.

Verdict.....Cheater.

I feel like someone needs to give Reed some good advice. He's really not making it any better with what he's saying.

Or maybe he his. Maybe that's just the world we live in now where someone can just keep saying the thing you saw me do didn't actually happen and people believe that narrative. It makes me wonder if he has any friends though. Not fake friends, but the actual hold you accountable kind. I just can't imagine being in a place mentally/emotionally to do that, and then through guilt, shame, worry, regret, whatever continuing to lie about it without the people that love me holding me to account and thus pulling my head out of my *ss. It's sad. I'd respect him much more if he just admitted it, and said he'd work to do better. We all make mistakes.

Regardless, I wasn't a fan before and I'm not now.

The amount of venom in the threads that pop up whenever there's a rules issue is so interesting to me.

I guess I spend most of my time in very casual golf settings where we don't take the rules too seriously. Granted, I'm not very competitive by nature, so perhaps that's a factor as well.

The amount of venom in the threads that pop up whenever there's a rules issue is so interesting to me.

I guess I spend most of my time in very casual golf settings where we don't take the rules too seriously. Granted, I'm not very competitive by nature, so perhaps that's a factor as well.

I could care less about the rules in my rounds, but when guys are getting millions, they need be tight to the rules.

I could care less about the rules in my rounds, but when guys are getting millions, they need be tight to the rules.

Sure, I get that. I'd probably feel the same if I was competing at that level. The curious part, to me, is the venom it inspires among people who aren't competing at that level, or against Patrick.

Sure, I get that. I'd probably feel the same if I was competing at that level. The curious part, to me, is the venom it inspires among people who aren't competing at that level, or against Patrick.

Right or wrong, people believe that there is a certain amount of ethics and morals that come with the wonderful game of golf. Seeing those rewarded with natural ability, so flippant about it, very much turns people the wrong way. Every male player out there that has broken the rules gets similar treatment it appears. With the exception of Tiger, who pretty much got a pass by fans after the Masters. The media and other players didn't give him a pass though.

Right or wrong, people believe that there is a certain amount of ethics and morals that come with the wonderful game of golf. Seeing those rewarded with natural ability, so flippant about it, very much turns people the wrong way. Every male player out there that has broken the rules gets similar treatment it appears. With the exception of Tiger, who pretty much got a pass by fans after the Masters. The media and other players didn't give him a pass though.

Good point, and well stated. He blew it, it was the wrong move, that's accurate - no dispute there. And I can see how that rubs people the wrong way. I just stop short of taking personal offense at it. Not saying everyone should take my approach; just noting the distinction.

I suppose I'd like to see us carry the ethics and morals into our assessments of (and responses to) these situations. By that I mean that I don't see how name calling and such fits into those ethics and morals.

Golf's Rules are as much a part of the game as swinging a club and hitting shots. It does not matter whether the skill level is Tour pro or high handicap amateur, the Rules are an integral part of the game.

Golf's Rules are as much a part of the game as swinging a club and hitting shots. It does not matter whether the skill level is Tour pro or high handicap amateur, the Rules are an integral part of the game.

Frankly that is crazy.
People can go to a course and "play golf" and take mulligans, gimmes, hit two balls, etc.
You cannot go to a course and do any sort of golf, without swinging a club.

Back