Patrick Reed and 2 stroke penalty

Frankly that is crazy.
People can go to a course and "play golf" and take mulligans, gimmes, hit two balls, etc.
You cannot go to a course and do any sort of golf, without swinging a club.

Sure people can do whatever they want; including mulligans, gimmes, improve lies etc... Whether that behavior is respectful to the game (or even actually playing golf) is a matter of opinion.

Golf's Rules are as much a part of the game as swinging a club and hitting shots. It does not matter whether the skill level is Tour pro or high handicap amateur, the Rules are an integral part of the game.

If that's how you enjoy the game - great! That's awesome. I enjoy the relaxed games I play with my friends. It's all good fun.

I think there is room for people to enjoy the game in different ways and for different reasons. That's one of the things I love about it.

Sure people can do whatever they want; including mulligans, gimmes, improve lies etc... Whether that behavior is respectful to the game (or even actually playing golf) is a matter of opinion.
Aren't gimmes a part of legitimate match play though?

Sure, I get that. I'd probably feel the same if I was competing at that level. The curious part, to me, is the venom it inspires among people who aren't competing at that level, or against Patrick.

Welcome to the internet LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that's how you enjoy the game - great! That's awesome. I enjoy the relaxed games I play with my friends. It's all good fun.

I think there is room for people to enjoy the game in different ways and for different reasons. That's one of the things I love about it.

I understand your point, and my reply was prompted by your comments about finding the "venom directed at Rules related discussions" to be interesting, and also your perspective that adherence to the Rules is related to skill level.
My perspective is that time spent on the golf course is a richer, more satisfying experience, when adhering to the games Rules. I think the reason the Rules exist is to make golf as complete a game as possible.

Aren't gimmes a part of legitimate match play though?

Yes, for match play format competition conceding putts (and, or, entire holes) is allowed by the Rules.

the rules of golf are established to protect the field in a competition, correct? playing by the rules is required to maintain a valid handicap. implementing any of the violations you mention only serves to deflate one’s handicap and make it more difficult to compete. in a competitive round i agree those actions are unacceptable, but in a recreational round who cares? how could that possibly disrespect the game?!

the rules of golf are established to protect the field in a competition, correct? playing by the rules is required to maintain a valid handicap. implementing any of the violations you mention only serves to deflate one’s handicap and make it more difficult to compete. in a competitive round i agree those actions are unacceptable, but in a recreational round who cares? how could that possibly disrespect the game?!

I think the Rules were established to make golf as complete a game as possible.
As for so called "recreational golf" and, or, who cares ? It's up to the player whether he or she cares.

Golf is different things to different people. For me, I agree with @DG_1234 . Playing 100% by the rules is very different than any other form of golf. I don't feel quite as good about a low score when I've breached the rules. It has less to do with ethics and more to do with being honest about how well or poorly I played.

That said, I've had to back off from the rules and as a result, have stopped tracking my index. The game has become a combination of exercise and practice. Not what I consider real golf (again, for me).

Golf is different things to different people. For me, I agree with @DG_1234 . Playing 100% by the rules is very different than any other form of golf. I don't feel quite as good about a low score when I've breached the rules. It has less to do with ethics and more to do with being honest about how well or poorly I played.

That said, I've had to back off from the rules and as a result, have stopped tracking my index. The game has become a combination of exercise and practice. Not what I consider real golf (again, for me).

At internet discussion forums, whenever subjects about Rules are discussed, there are usually several posts proclaiming "I play by the Rules during tournaments but for casual golf we're just out there to have fun and we don't follow all the Rules".
To the above type post I've replied with the question....."Is a round more enjoyable and rewarding when you play by the Rules?". I've never received a reply to this question but I'll probably keep asking it :)

Welcome to the internet LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, LOL... it's nice here, I like it. I'll stay awhile.

That said, I've had to back off from the rules and as a result, have stopped tracking my index.

What is the reason for this ?

I understand your point, and my reply was prompted by your comments about finding the "venom directed at Rules related discussions" to be interesting, and also your perspective that adherence to the Rules is related to skill level.
My perspective is that time spent on the golf course is a richer, more satisfying experience, when adhering to the games Rules. I think the reason the Rules exist is to make golf as complete a game as possible.

Fair enough. I'll clarify. The venom I'm referring to are the posts that seem to take personal offense at Reed's conduct, or to stoop to name calling or insults. To me, that seems inconsistent with the vibe here at THP and with golf's overall ethics and morals JB referred to in his post.

For what it's worth, I play the ball as it lies and adhere to the rules as I personally am trying to focus on taking life as it comes to me and accepting it - on and off the golf course. Exceptions for me would be:

--In casual games, on OB shots, we tend to take a drop from where the ball went OB and take a stroke penalty rather than re-teeing. This is mainly a pace-of-play thing.

--I'll take an unplayable (with the penalty) if I'm concerned that the shot will damage me or my equipment.

I could be wrong but I suspect that we would enjoy each other's company on the golf course. We may differ in that, if there's no $ on the line, I'm not bothered if our playing partners don't adhere strictly to the rules.

Cheers...

That's well said; it is different things to different people. My enjoyment of the game is derived from the time spent with friends, the privilege of a great day outdoors and the joy of a shot well struck. My score is not all that important to me.

That's well said; it is different things to different people. My enjoyment of the game is derived from the time spent with friends, the privilege of a great day outdoors and the joy of a shot well struck. My score is not all that important to me.
I need to learn to do this.

Frankly that is crazy.
People can go to a course and "play golf" and take mulligans, gimmes, hit two balls, etc.
You cannot go to a course and do any sort of golf, without swinging a club.

Well, there are disc golf and foot golf. o_O:eek::ROFLMAO: Just sayin'...

At internet discussion forums, whenever subjects about Rules are discussed, there are usually several posts proclaiming "I play by the Rules during tournaments but for casual golf we're just out there to have fun and we don't follow all the Rules".
To the above type post I've replied with the question....."Is a round more enjoyable and rewarding when you play by the Rules?". I've never received a reply to this question but I'll probably keep asking it :)

That question likely wasn't directed to someone like me. I, like you, attempt to adhere to the RoG always*. I will answer the question for you though. Yes, playing by the strictest interpretation of the RoG most certainly does make the round more enjoyable... and it's not even really debatable.

* I am in the middle of a swing change and, while I've committed to not playing much during this time, I am getting out for 9 holes once in a while judge my progress. I have hit multiple tee shots as well as multiple approaches several times during this process and that is far from my normal process. Once I commit to playing, though, it'll be back to the grind and not dilly dallying around hitting multiple shots (unless it's a declared provisional).

--In casual games, on OB shots, we tend to take a drop from where the ball went OB and take a stroke penalty rather than re-teeing. This is mainly a pace-of-play thing.

Why not just drop at the point in the fairway equidistant to the point it crossed, take two strokes, and stay within the RoG? Shouldn't impat PoP much, if any.

--I'll take an unplayable (with the penalty) if I'm concerned that the shot will damage me or my equipment.

Bravo! That's not even an exception. You're a man after my own heart...

I need to learn to do this.

I enjoy it. Bit of a stop and smell the roses thing.

It's not for everyone... I've never really been a competitive person, and I don't begrudge anyone who is. Just not my thing. I do get that some people really take enjoyment from the competitive aspects. That's cool.

Rule.gif

Oh no....

I’ll reply. My enjoyment of the round is not contingent upon how well the rules were followed. See below.

I’ll reply. My enjoyment of the round is not contingent upon how well the rules were followed. See below.

Thanks for your reply, but I think we can all agree that (no matter what) being outside, playing shots, hanging out with friends etc....is usually an enjoyable experience.
My question is if one compares a round they played honoring the Rules of Golf (tournament competition or not), versus a round where liberties are taken such as mulligans,
improving lies etc... doe he/she get more enjoyment from the Rules-observed round ?
You may have answered this question , not sure.

During a casual round, I really don't care what other folks do...toe wedge, improve their lie, etc. People play this game for a lot of different reasons, and play it a lot of different ways. I play by the ROG as that is how I enjoy playing it.

Back