Patrick Reed is Good for Golf: Prove Me Wrong

Every sport has heroes and villains and the last two decades have shown that winning cures all. He has been on tour just short of 10 years and has built a pretty rock solid resume. Patrick Reed is good for golf.

Reed has 9 PGA Tour Victories. He is a major winner and has had a top 10 in every major and top 5 in 3 of the 4.

He is a good interview and says what’s on his mind.

He has had some brushes with the rules in the past, although I don’t believe yesterday was one of them.

So prove me wrong, Patrick Reed is good for golf.

111-1024x692.jpg

Continue reading...

He has had success in tournaments, but that doesn't make him good for the game. He draws more crowds with the villain role, which he seems to relish. My rationale is the same for anyone with the brushes against the rules - if he wins by toeing the line (or outright breaking) the rules he will tacitly encourage others to do the same. If players feel they are losing a competitive advantage, they race to fill the void (see Bryson's bomb and gouge). How long before players feel they have to play looser with the rules to stay competitive?

One of the things I love about golf is at it's core it cares about integrity and honesty. How many other sports have people calling fouls on themselves? I don't like the precedent Patrick sets for those that come behind him and I believe he takes something special that has always existed about the game and tarnishes it.

Someone in the spotlight, and very skilled at one aspect of their life, obviously with work to do on couple others in ways that creates constant discussion on morality and achievement? Good for all of us imo, not just the game.

Every sport has heroes and villains and the last two decades have shown that winning cures all. He has been on tour just short of 10 years and has built a pretty rock solid resume. Patrick Reed is good for golf.

Reed has 9 PGA Tour Victories. He is a major winner and has had a top 10 in every major and top 5 in 3 of the 4.

He has had some brushes with the rules in the past, although I don’t believe yesterday was one of them.

111-1024x692.jpg

Continue reading...
Agreed.

We were not there, we did not "really" see, we do not really know. PGA, and PGA rules official say things are all good. End of story.

Opinions are just that, what the PGA "rules" stands. Perfect, ... ?? probably not, but either way,... stands.

Wish I could say you were wrong. I genuinely don't like him, but you're probably right. Having a villain will always be good for golf. And he's good I can't argue any different.

And I think he sincerely doesn't care about how he acts on or off the course. He knows the cameras are on him every shot waiting for him to make a mistake and yet he does what he wants anyway. If he cared he would error on the side of caution in those instances.

Not going to try. I have no problem with guys that are not in the cookie cutter pro golfer image like Poulter and Reed.

111-1024x692.jpg

Continue reading...
I cant believe Im going to say this....but I agree with you 100%! LOL Love him or hate him, Reed is good for golf because he is an interesting character, a talented golfer and isnt afraid to wear the black hat sometimes. Hey, no argument here. 🤷‍♂️

He is good for golf. He isnt one of those pretty boys like Tiger, Justin, Dustin, Xander. Hes just a good golfer, who tends to cheat.... on purpose.:LOL:
I had a golfer on my team, Ethan Austin, who looked just like him, a good golfer, but also i was told he cheated by kicking his ball a few times.

Where there is smoke, there is some type fire. Reed has had quite a few instances of controversy. Makes you wonder!

im curious.....how at all is Reed in any comparison to Ian Poulter? Other than them both being incredibly good singles match play players.

Think I said it in my post

Never thought of it that way but yeah, gives us someone to root against, my only thought would be I didn't tune in a bunch to the final round yesterday because it was him in the mix and in the lead.

there was golf yesterday 😂

Last edited:
Basically an American Ian Poulter with more wins
Yet Poulter has more wins?
I can't really see any similarities.

Personally I don't think Reed is good for the game.
Football used to be a gentleman's game with an unwritten code of conduct. In the early 2000's players were starting to dive and trick the referee into giving them free kicks, penalties etc. Basically cheating.
At the time there was outrage and bemusement in equal measure that these people were effectively cheating to win. Nowadays it is almost seen in every single football match. Its a joke and has brought about video refereeing to try and eliminate any doubt over decisions.

Golf to me has always been a fantastic teacher of morals and discipline. The more that people tend to get away with such acts whilst on the world stage, the more that this moral code is eroded with juniors watching and learning.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Yet Poulter has more wins?
I can't really see any similarities.

Personally I don't think Reed is good for the game.
Football used to be a gentleman's game with an unwritten code of conduct. In the early 2000's players were starting to dive and trick the referee into giving them free kicks, penalties etc. Basically cheating.
At the time there was outrage and bemusement in equal measure that these people were effectively cheating to win. Nowadays it is almost seen in every single football match. Its a joke and has brought about video refereeing to try and eliminate any doubt over decisions.

Golf to me has always been a fantastic teacher of morals and discipline. The more that people tend to get away with such acts whilst on the world stage, the more that this moral code is eroded with juniors watching and learning.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Yet during golfs biggest boom ever morals and discipline were not really at the forefront.

Soccer is a great analogy, because as you said it’s not as good anymore or in the last 20 years. Yet the sport continues to grow. Revenue is up across the board and more participants than ever.

Football is a game for gentlemen played by ruffians, whilst rugby is a game for ruffians played by gentlemen used to be the quote. Golf is a game for gentlemen played by gentlemen , and Patrick Reed.

As an offshoot of my previous comment, I don't think Patrick Reed is a good person in the slightest. He has a weird history and his wife is bonkers; they're the dynamic duo. However, people getting more upset over people saying obscenities on the course than a guy that has a history of cheating and could have cheated again (hard to believe it was embedded) is insane. The reason I linked the above video is to say I disagree with the guy on the right named Geoff. I just don't see how you can possibly equate someone like DeChambeau to Reed.

Reed and all cheaters need to be made examples of, I don't even like to play with cheaters in my casual rounds. I just don't even want to be around those people if they are willing to cheat for a score that has no money or glory associated with it.

Tiger Woods discretions were never on course, and cheating in the game is an issue with younger players, and Reed is horrible for that.

THe TW situation is different, but in addition Tiger Woods owned his infidelity and eventually his resurgence has been marketed as a redemption (how scripted or not). He suffered a blow to his person life integrity and while he was out of the spotlight, there was a decline in viewership and participation in the game, in the past few years since the incident and fall from grace has been used to rebrand him, and viewership has increased as such, and participation was on a gradual upswing until Corona....

Tiger has had more than his fair share of loose rules interpretations over the years...from "occilating" not moving balls, to what would have been a DQ at the Masters for any other player to the biggest "loose impediment" ever. P!ease, if it were anyone else it would have never been allowed.

Patrick is good for pointing out to your child how not to play the game.

Good for viewing - if you need a villain with a smile.

Look at his history.

I've listened to some radio talk and comments from players over the last 2 days.

This situation - Assuming the ball did not bounce and he did not see it bounce.

So what player picks up his ball out of a lie and then asks for a ruling while he is turning the ball over in his hand?

If you have a question, don't you ask for the ruling, and have the official handle the ball and situation?

If he was certain it did not bounce but wanted to be sure there was no question about inbedment, you can call a player over, and while you're uncovering the ball have him look and confirm whether it's imbedded and play on.

The Tour covered Reed but the players don't like it. It just cements his reputation with them.

Was listening to The Ticket (DFW Sports Radio), and their question was Reed is such a good player, why??

One host said it's an illness like kleptomania, he's just tuned to do it and thinks it's no big deal. "What, me?" with that innocent look. It's ingrained in him.

Last edited:
Reed is good for attracting viewers. That is distinctly different than being good for the game which he's not.

i don't remember Jack having a questionable masters drop.;)

I don't know if you are old enough to remember when Jack started playing on the tour but at that time he was looked on as the bad guy to Arnie's good guy. I'm not saying he
ever cheated but he was the bad guy. Every sport needs the bad guy and the good guy. Jack turned out to be my favorite golfer and people loved him. Reed could someday be looked on as kind of a good guy too... or if he out and out cheats, etc. he could be the bad guy forever. I kinda like him and I usually don't like the bad guy.

Tiger has had more than his fair share of loose rules interpretations over the years...from "occilating" not moving balls, to what would have been a DQ at the Masters for any other player to the biggest "loose impediment" ever. P!ease, if it were anyone else it would have never been allowed.
Yeah OK, prove it when and where? The Masters yes, but he owned it. Reed is a shady cat and has been from day one.

This is another example of how TV is ruining sports in general. And Jim Nance made me change the channel Sunday. Talk about a cheater. If a ball bounces and no one sees it, did it? I thought golf decided against viewer call in and using video replay. So the players should live with the decisions of the officials and move along. Reed did nothing wrong. Portrayed as villain and he probably doesn't care. I think the guys behind him speaking out are more hurt they got spanked by him than anything.

Yeah OK, prove it when and where?

2013 Masters he admitted to improving his drop
1999 Phoenix Open when he had a gallery move a boulder

If Reed does either of these things, he is labeled as the terrorist golfer.

2013 Masters he admitted to improving his drop
1999 Phoenix Open when he had a gallery move a boulder

If Reed does either of these things, he is labeled as the terrorist golfer.
Reed is labeled that way because his infractions are numerous and date back to college. He lost his benefit of the doubt years ago. Reed doesnt have two incidents, he has likely double digit incidents.

Reed is a serial improver of his lie, not once twice or three times. Many many times.

Reed is labeled that way because his infractions are numerous and date back to college. He lost his benefit of the doubt years ago. Reed doesnt have two incidents, he has likely double digit incidents.

I strongly disagree with this. Reed is labeled because yes, he has infractions and more so because of the social media nature we are in.
If he made the drop that Woods made, hell if just about anybody not liked made the drop Woods did, they would be crucified.
The same goes for moving the boulder.

I understand people don't like the guy, I don't really like the guy, but saying "prove it" to another poster and then saying "he likely has double digit infractions" is pretty much a wash in my opinion.

It s done out there I am sure by many, I know Vijay had his issues too. But the Notoriety of this around Reed is just bad for the game.

I strongly disagree with this. Reed is labeled because yes, he has infractions and more so because of the social media nature we are in.
If he made the drop that Woods made, hell if just about anybody not liked made the drop Woods did, they would be crucified.
The same goes for moving the boulder.

I understand people don't like the guy, I don't really like the guy, but saying "prove it" to another poster and then saying "he likely has double digit infractions" is pretty much a wash in my opinion.
Isn't this whole thread about "proving" by what the Title of this thread indicates?

Maybe it's me then and seeing first hand the notoriety of cheating and the impact it has on our young golfers. I hear their conversations, I have the discussions about this with them and I know that Reed's issues and other who cheat at a high level have influence on them, not all but enough to make it an issue. Anyone who works in competitive junior golf knows that cheating is a serious issue, and this does not help that (and the notoriety it encompasses). Growing and developing the game with youth is an area I am passionate about, so this cheating stuff drives me nuts.

Maybe it's me then and seeing first hand the notoriety of cheating and the impact it has on our young golfers. I hear their conversations, I have the discussions about this with them and I know that Reed's issues and other who cheat at a high level have influence on them, not all but enough to make it an issue. Anyone who works in competitive junior golf knows that cheating is a serious issue, and this does not help that (and the notoriety it encompasses). Growing and developing the game with youth is an area I am passionate about, so this cheating stuff drives me nuts.
Then you would have been outraged at Tiger Woods drop, which he admitted knowing he was cheating, right? or Jon Rahm's multiple times of improving his lie. The list is endless of top athletes that are repeatable offenders.

Yet nobody is arguing that either of those two are bad for the game of golf. In fact most would vehemently argue they are good for the game.

Then you would have been outraged at Tiger Woods drop, which he admitted knowing he was cheating, right? or Jon Rahm's multiple times of improving his lie. The list is endless of top athletes that are repeatable offenders.

Yet nobody is arguing that either of those two are bad for the game of golf. In fact most would vehemently argue they are good for the game.
Yes on all cheating. My main point is that Patrick Reed is bad because the notoriety he has brought with the cheating and improving lies and such. My point is to say Reed is bad for golf, not to absolve any other golfer of responsibility. How can Reed winning with an air of dubiousness around him possibly be good for the game? Especially from the outside looking in, or to a casual observer who doesn't know the ins and outs of the game (right now non golfing sports fans only are hearing about some guy whp won on tour and possibly cheated, they don't differentiate from there because they are casual observers) . Not a good look. Not a good look for any golfer when the issue comes up, and no matter who does it it is not good for golf. Now people have a short memory, and let's say he goes undefeated in the Ryder Cup, I am sure all will be forgiven and he will be Capt America again and the cloud will lift (publically).

let's say he goes undefeated in the Ryder Cup

:facepalm:

Back