Pelican Point on Tyndall AFB - closed

Khaot1c

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 24.0
When I get to go TDY to another base, away from home - I usually drag the clubs with me to take advantage of any off time.
I've played Pelican Point a few years ago and it was (at the time) a good experience. Close enough to get in a quick 9/18 after work (with the day light that was left) and of course the price point was perfect.
Those days - are gone. It seems the course shut down operations in June (of 2013) with no hope of ever coming back.

RIP PPGC - some of us have pretty good memories of this place, and will miss you.

When there was Fort Bragg and Pope AFB, Bragg had 2 courses and Pope had 1. The Pope course was the best out of them all. When it was announced that the Air Force was losing Pope and it would become Pope Army Airfield they closed down the course there, even though it was better than the 2 Army courses. I went by there the other day, and unless you knew there was a course there, you'd never suspect it. It's all overgrown and crappy looking now.

RIP PPGC - some of us have pretty good memories of this place, and will miss you.
Wow, I played there a couple times. Really thought it was a decent place. The winds coming off the bay really messed with you.
My buddy is stationed there and didn't say anything. I'll have to ask wtc is up.

When El Toro MCAS was closed several years back, and the land handed over to the city of Irvine, the city let the golf course go to seed. Too bad, because from what I hear, it was a nice course (aren't most DoD courses nice?), and there is one less opportunity to play public golf in the area.

When El Toro MCAS was closed several years back, and the land handed over to the city of Irvine, the city let the golf course go to seed. Too bad, because from what I hear, it was a nice course (aren't most DoD courses nice?), and there is one less opportunity to play public golf in the area.

DoD courses depend on how much the Commanding General likes golf, since he does the budget. Fort Bragg courses were horrible, but this year a new CG came in who loves golf, so they've been getting a little better. They were so bad to start, it's going to take a while to get them back up to standard.

I remember when most large installations still had 2 courses, one was the Officer's Club course and the other was typically a goat trail.

DoD courses depend on how much the Commanding General likes golf, since he does the budget.

Regardless of whether you love it or hate it, I would say the current budget sequester probably had quite a bit to do with this as well. They'd rather spend their budget on jet fuel over lawnmower gas.

Most military golf courses are funded through non-appropriated funds like bowling alleys and theaters. The funds earned from those activities are what keep them going.

I know on WPAFB we have two courses that are both funded by non-appropriated funds, they actually were short staffed this yr and did a decent job keeping up the course.

Regardless of whether you love it or hate it, I would say the current budget sequester probably had quite a bit to do with this as well. They'd rather spend their budget on jet fuel over lawnmower gas.

The sequester was just a cut on the rate of increase over last year, it didn't cut the budget from last year. Everyone here at Bragg kind of freaked out about money when the sequester was announced and started cancelling training to save money until they realized that it wasn't a real cut, just pretty much maintaining last year's budget when it was all said and done. We saw the announcements for furlough and then they were rescinded once everyone calmed down and realized what was really going on.

Most military golf courses are funded through non-appropriated funds like bowling alleys and theaters. The funds earned from those activities are what keep them going.
This. Ours is in REALLY good shape right now, but then again, the General has a standing Saturday 7:40 tee time. BUT, they are self sustaining and if it loses any more money than it did this year, it may not last long. They are going to raise the member rates (still WAY below anywhere in town) and hope to hold off the budget woes.

This weekend is "THE" tournament that is held here every year. Senators, Congressmen, Generals, and a ton of other big shots play in the three day tourney to raise money for the Museum of Aviation (2nd only to the one at Wright Pat).

I'll have to get out there early next week after the tourney and take some pictures, because for a ho-dunk town and almost unknown Air Force base, we really have a decent track.

Wow, so the course at isn Pope gone too? Well, I guess Pope as a whole is gone.... I there a few times when I was stationed at Shady-J. I had friends down at Pope and would go down and visit for a round or two. We never did get over to any of the Bragg courses.

As for all DoD courses being nice, well..... I know it's a pretty common joke that when the Air Force moves in we build the golf course first then ask for money to plow a runway.

Back