Perfect Practice Putting Matt

E Lee

Reaction score
Handicap
Would love any reviews on this aid. Looks like it makes a lot of sense to see how true you are rolling it and backswing. But two questions.

Can you set it up on wall to wall carpeting or does it need to be on hardwood floors.

And how portable is it. Can I put it down and take it back up every day? and of course, did it improve your putting? Thanks!

Last edited:
Some members have it. I did not buy it when I was looking because it looked a bit too scrawny - not that thick. I went with the PuttOut mat.

I looked at it and passed, but I know some guys have it and enjoy it. I've used PuttOut and that was pretty darn good esp for the price. The Trulinks in my basement though offers an even better experience though.

I have it and it's really good. It's possible to roll it up and put it away but I've luckily got enough space not to bother and it doesn't look too bad.

I looked at it and passed, but I know some guys have it and enjoy it. I've used PuttOut and that was pretty darn good esp for the price. The Trulinks in my basement though offers an even better experience though.
I have it and like it. But i think of it as a putting aid with the two smaller and standard size holes as well as the elevation and putter alingnment marking. I use it to work on my stroke and i think the elevation helps with speed. The auto return allows me to continually putt and groove a stroke/ I would at some point like to put a trulinks or something similar in my basement to get what i think you describe really well as a better putting “ experience.”. I think that would be a great combo.

I've got it. Picked it up during a Costco Cyber Monday deal.

I like it a lot, but not real pleased with the quality of it. Especially for the price. I love the PuttOut mat.

I have the version that only has the small golf hole and is 8 feet. You can set it up on carpet if you want. Apparently on carpet it’s supposed to roll at like a 10 or 11 on the stimp and if it’s on hardwood, it rolls like a 13-14?

you can definitely put it down every day and take it up again if you want. I think once you get the green ironed out to stay flat, as long as you don’t roll it up again you should be fine.

Has it improved my putting? I’ve only had it for a 2 weeks and if it’s any indication of my recent scores the answer would be a resounding no lol. The putting mat made me realize I have an out to in stroke and cut across the ball and so now I’m way more technical in my stroke when practicing than I should be and thinking about my putting stroke way more than I should when I’m playing.
So I’m currently working to getting out of my head with that knowledge and going back to putting based on feel. I will say that I absolutely do appreciate how you can easily tell if your ball starts on line and how the distances are easily marked out. If you can afford it, I think that alone is worth the price of admission. Although there is no substitute for practicing on an actual putting green, if you’re trapped inside for a couple months it’s a great addition.

Thanks everyone. Do you all have it set up on a carpeted floor?

I have one. Use it and love it. I roll it up to put it away. Don't fold it! And....YES I use mine on a carpeted floor.

I got one about 2 years ago and ended up giving it to a friend and sticking with my 10 year old Big Moss mat. We live in a very old house (built around 1880s) with floors that are obviously not perfectly level. With as thin and narrow as the mat is, I couldn't get a straight roll with it anywhere in the house.

Yeah, I don't get all the hype around this thing. It's a really narrow, straight on put up a significant incline into a wooden box. How is that realistic at all? I've found too narrow a green leads to tunnel vision and when I get on a real green without those boundaries I'm lost with my line, this is what really led me to purchase a Big Moss green.

has anyone had a problem with this not staying flat?? I've had it for 5 days and ive left plenty of heavy books, weights, tables on it to keep it flat and every time I move them to actually use it its still not flat. The end of the mat still curls up and the sides are not flat either

I have a birdie ball 14' x 4' mat that I love, but since getting married and buying a new house with my wife, I'm not allowed to put it anywhere in the house : ( lol

I thought the perfect practice size would be great and take up considerably less space which it does.....but with how thin and curved the ends and edges are its kinda useless to use. if I start on the line with the small hole and simply try to putt straight, it automatically breaks left. Cant aim right bc then I hit the wood return

Its getting returned today

I heard about this mat recently in the Golf Digest magazine, so went and got one, personally I love mine, it is great for in the house and during lockdowns, my putting stroke has improved so much, its made a big difference to my putting stroke, and its good to have it so handy to just sink a few putts when you want to, without having to go to the practice greens. Like others have said, the mat wont lay flat at the end, maybe I need to put more books on it, and sometimes the auto return thing the balls get stuck, but I still think its great, and it is fun and has improved my putting, so all good in my opinion

For anyone having issues with the sides and back laying flat, you just have to iron it for a few minutes. I’ve had mine set up for a couple weeks now and I’ve had zero issues with it curling back up.

once you have it flat, this is one of the best mats I’ve used and would highly recommend it

I asked Perfect Putt about issues with the sides not staying flat. They advised using a steam iron on cotton setting. I haven’t resorted to that as after a couple of weeks the mat flattened itself out nicely. Mine is on a flat carpet and works without issues now that it is flat. It occurs to me that it might have flattened out sooner on a hard floor as opposed to my carpet. I quite enjoy using mine. I like it better than my Birdie Ball mat which I gave to my son.

This mat was recommended to me by a friend and I love it! I ironed mine right out of the box and after using it for a few days, I saw an immediate improvement in my stroke. You can experiment and work on any aspect of the stroke. I can’t recommend it enough. I have really enjoyed the smaller hole as well. Once you putt on that, the real thing looks huge. I put the 14’6 in my basement and haven’t had any problems with it not rolling straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got one this week as a gift and it has worked really well. I set it up on tile at work and it is flat except the end. I haven’t tried ironing or anything and figure i will give it a week or so. I had it in a spot that one line was breaking a lot, but I managed to find a spot that was level for both holes. I have nothing to compare it to, but I like this one. My wife got it for me from Costco.

I have used mine a bit and it serves its purpose.. just keeps my putting stroke smooth as it can be, andcits convenient with the ball return

We were talking about this a few nights ago. May have to look into it a bit more.

and its convenient with the ball return
Honestly it's my favorite part about it. Just putt after putt after putt without having to go get anything

I got the XL version earlier in the week. Initially I had buyers remorse. The issue initially was 2 fold. 1 it was not flat, 2 where to find a 15 foot spot on my basement floor out of the way where it was flat. Basement floor and flat don't go well together.

Today I ironed it and moved it in different spots until I found a decent place. Now the ah ha moment, I drill the 4, 6 and 8 pretty consitant but when I get out to 12/13 my stroke breaks down and I pull the ball or have the face closed. I could not simulate this on my other two much shorter matts. Because of the uphill 5 inch ball return I'm hitting a 13 ft putt as hard as I would say 15 on a course. Since the matt is pointing out a legit problem in my longer putter swings, I consider that a benefit

on a 6ft putt, my older two matts are about as good.

The benefit of the lines and holes is simply to train a perfectly struck ball which is required to drop one form 10 ft plus.

I got one for Christmas and have been using it daily as it is in my office. I find it very good. I like the speed and the ball return. It did take a while for it to flatten out including several times getting hit with an iron. Having it be perfectly straight makes a difference on the small hole as well. If it isn't perfectly straight it will have a little slope on whichever side it is curved away from.

I would buy again.

I like the ball return as well. your point in any break in the floor is very accurate; especially on that small hole.

This matt has jumped up to incredible status for me after being dissapointed the first day. Somehow over the winter in spite of playing I started to flip the face at the ball at impact vs letting my lead arm stroke through the ball. On 4 and 6 foot putts the issue was hard to detect but at 11+ feet on this matt the ball did not lie. Initially I thought my floor was sloped right to left; and it might be but that does not explain my pulled putts.

It was key seeing a couple of 11+ foot putts go in dead straight. From there, I felt it had to be my swing not slope in the floor. I worked and found my old stroke.

I'm thrilled to know that as bad habits come into my stroke that they won't go un-noticed on this matt in this lenght. I went out to the local course today and saw instant improvement.

Back