Personal Best at easier course?

Go get that 70's score!!

If you're asking, it's likely bugging you. And knowing you can do something is half the battle. Sounds like you get that with how you said once you do something doing it again is easier.. because you know you can, and you know how. Coaches put their best players in B squad games to build confidence, they put horses in against different ones so they learn how to win, etc, etc. Go get it done. Go low. Your 'personal best' is whatever round you think it was, not a number.

On the practical side, besides confidence, it can be great practice. Low score of all kinds can be built on what you have to do a lot of on easier/shorter, courses. Drop wedge approaches on the pins all day at the easier one, and watch that transfer over to the harder, longer ones. Par 5 and short par 4 scoring average could catch fire. Trying to go low on an easier course teaches constant lessons on when and how to be aggressive for your game, too. Mix it up. Rounds your game, and that travels. Worry about the vanity if/when you need to. Might find after that confidence boost that it's the scores on the harder ones that are really dropping that cap, not the easy one.

just play.

If you think it really is a mental block, go to an easier course and learn to score and learn to handle the pressure of shooting well. Or, and this may not be popular, move to the forward tees at your normal course and do the same thing. Learn to not tense up or to choke at the end of the round and move back. Once you have done it a few times, the block is gone. And for the record, I did this exact thing one year.

One of the most difficult courses in Indiana from the tips (7,700 yards) has a USGA slope of 142 to put in perspective how hard that course rating is.

thats interesting. feel like almost all the courses we play here in Georgia are in that range. SLOPE 138-142 is what a typically play. Not intentionally. Just assumed all courses were rated like that until recently when I started seeing other peoples scorecards on the forum, and realized that was much higher than other parts of the country.

If you think it really is a mental block, go to an easier course and learn to score and learn to handle the pressure of shooting well. Or, and this may not be popular, move to the forward tees at your normal course and do the same thing. Learn to not tense up or to choke at the end of the round and move back. Once you have done it a few times, the block is gone. And for the record, I did this exact thing one year.

Ive played from the tees up. I play pretty much the same regardless of length. Kinda shows that its my putting, thats the problem. I hit the ball pretty straight, and dont deal with too much hazards. its always the pressure putting that gets me.

Ive played from the tees up. I play pretty much the same regardless of length. Kinda shows that its my putting, thats the problem. I hit the ball pretty straight, and dont deal with too much hazards. its always the pressure putting that gets me.
So play up there until you meet your goal and then move back one after you meet it, repeat until you are at your tee box. The shorter your approaches, the closer your putts should be.

i don't want to say i don't chase scores but i've found that if i focus on making good shots toward the green, i tend to score better than if i'm worried about making bogey/double bogey.

Go get that 70's score!!

If you're asking, it's likely bugging you. And knowing you can do something is half the battle. Sounds like you get that with how you said once you do something doing it again is easier.. because you know you can, and you know how. Coaches put their best players in B squad games to build confidence, they put horses in against different ones so they learn how to win, etc, etc. Go get it done. Go low. Your 'personal best' is whatever round you think it was, not a number.

On the practical side, besides confidence, it can be great practice. Low score of all kinds can be built on what you have to do a lot of on easier/shorter, courses. Drop wedge approaches on the pins all day at the easier one, and watch that transfer over to the harder, longer ones. Par 5 and short par 4 scoring average could catch fire. Trying to go low on an easier course teaches constant lessons on when and how to be aggressive for your game, too. Mix it up. Rounds your game, and that travels. Worry about the vanity if/when you need to. Might find after that confidence boost that it's the scores on the harder ones that are really dropping that cap, not the easy one.

I am thinking about it. Its a goal and achievement that just keeps alluding me and its frustrating.

I obviously have rounds where 79 is not possible and I end up shooting an 85 or 86. But ive been flirting with 79 quite often recently. I just need to do it once so I can move on with my life. Golf is so mental, and this is my elephant in the room.

Golf is fun because I enjoy setting milestones for myself and can constantly move that goal post back to a new challenge. But Ive been stuck on this challenge for what feels like forever. Not losing motivation, just looking for new mental thoughts that may help me break through.

Playing longer, tougher courses puts me in a really defensive position. Avoiding big numbers is so important.

I want to start training to learn to be in a more attack mode for birdies, but not easy when I typically play courses where the risk/reward profile doesnt allow such aggressive play for my skill level.

The thought process is to spend a week playing local munis and really learn to shoot at pins without the penalizing consequence that some of the more difficult courses have.

Ill add to my pervious post. Some of the hardest courses in the country according to many (Bethpage, wolf creek, whistling straits etc) don't have as high of a rating at that yardage than your course. Or they are very similar anyways. I guarantee you if you went to Bethpage you'd be thrilled with an 80. These are not "normal" courses. Lets use Oconee at Reynolds as an example. There isn't anyone out there claiming it as an "easy" course I bet. However at 6500 its plays 71/134. A pretty big difference. There would be no shame in shooting and counting a PB at a course like that or even a course with a 69/128 rating. You still have to play well and more importantly "get the ball in the hole".

And as others have said shooting under 80 at an easier course will help you learn and get you over any mental block you may have.

Based from your opening post, I think you answered your own question. You are not going to feel all that great knowing you only achieved it on the easier course. The fact that you are sort of looking for approval or wondering how justified it will be tells me that it is something that is not going to sit 100% so well in your own head. if it will be something that sits very well you would never have posed the question because it wouldnt mattered to you.

Imo your frustration with the 79 is indeed very much tied to the harder course you play. Thats all based on what you've asked and said. In fact Id suggest its even possible doing it on the easier course may (contrary to what others are saying) even make you more frustrated about not having done it on the harder one. Again im only basing this off of your own post.

My personal opinion.... I know that whenever I play the easier course/s I do not feel the same about the end score. I know that my average score should be a tad better at one course vs another.

Variety is the spice of life, I say. Play where you want, when you want and for whatever reason. Golf can still be hard on an "easy" course.

My recent GHIN update puts me at an 8.5 handicap. Sounds great in theory, but Im still THAT GOLFER with a single digit handi that has never broken 80. And its frustrating. Like a mental block.

My last round, I shot an 80 on the number. 6500 yards. 72.7 Rating with 142 slope for a 5.8 differential.

Which got me thinking...

Should I go seek out an easier course, like muni with easier approaches and greens, and attempt it there? Im the type that once I do it for the first time, doing it again is easy. However, also enjoy the challenge and dont want to do it for the sake of a vanity PR.

1. Play easier course to break through the 80 barrier so I can get it over the mental challenge.

2. Suck it up and keep on trying on the more difficult layouts until I can finally do it.

What yall think?
It’s not a “vanity” PB if you shot the number. You still have to swing the club, and still have to score the score, regardless of the distance or layout.

I’m in the same boat. However easier courses have not been the answer for me. Most of the time I haven’t played as well on the easier course. Dumb luck? I think being familiar always helps me. I don’t look at my totals when playing. My watch tells me where I am at the turn. Other than that I don’t like knowing as it will cause me to push. I’d say do which ever you feel will be best for your mental game. My chipping is usually what has led to me not breaking 80 but it’s coming soon. ;)

As @OldandStiff said, “Your 'personal best' is whatever round you think it was, not a number.” Once you start measuring your game in that manner, the score thresholds will tumble.

In the meantime, put in some practice work on those 10-footers. That all-time low score round likely will come on a day when you say “I made every putt I looked at. “

If you think it will help you break the barrier that is fine. I wouldn't go put of my way though. That may turn into frustration if you don't achieve what you set out to do.

Back