Personal Stats That Surprise You

Jank

I'm just a golfer, I suppose.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
FIRs
Over the last 16 months, I've taken a liking to keeping more of my stats. After having a large sample size there were a few of my stats that kind of caught me off guard:

-I only birdie 2.4% of my par 3s played. That's about 1 par 3 birdie every 10 or 11 rounds.
-In 72 rounds that I have tracked my scores, I have NEVER birdied the 4th hole. This blows my mind since I play a lot of different courses.
-I hit a GIR on the 4th hole 11.4% of the time. My next worse GIR% is 32.9% on the 11th and 16th holes.
-I hit the fairway the most on the first hole (62.3% of the time vs a total average of 45.7%)
-I once went 142 holes without a three-putt. My next closest streak is 73 holes.

What are some of your stats that blow your mind, good or bad?

Was just looking at my Shot Scope data and the big surprise for me is my putting. I've remarked on the forum how I just don't have confidence most of the time but, if I'm reading it correctly, I guess I don't do to bad. Not to say there isn't room for improvement. :(
Screenshot_20201124-095447_Shot Scope.jpg

I have holed out from off the green fifteen times this year. One was a 151 yd. shot that gave me a par 4 after hitting my second shot into the water. Another was a 100 yd. hole out for an eagle on a Par 5 that I had never eagled before.

My poor GIR stats.
1606261093395.png

Was just looking at my Shot Scope data and the big surprise for me is my putting. I've remarked on the forum how I just don't have confidence most of the time but, if I'm reading it correctly, I guess I don't do to bad. Not to say there isn't room for improvement. :(
View attachment 8975566
I don't know what time frame that's over, but that's 1.54 avg. putts. That is WAY beyond not too bad. 🔥🔥🔥

Over the last 16 months, I've taken a liking to keeping more of my stats. After having a large sample size there were a few of my stats that kind of caught me off guard:

-I only birdie 2.4% of my par 3s played. That's about 1 par 3 birdie every 10 or 11 rounds.
-In 72 rounds that I have tracked my scores, I have NEVER birdied the 4th hole. This blows my mind since I play a lot of different courses.
-I hit a GIR on the 4th hole 11.4% of the time. My next worse GIR% is 32.9% on the 11th and 16th holes.
-I hit the fairway the most on the first hole (62.3% of the time vs a total average of 45.7%)
-I once went 142 holes without a three-putt. My next closest streak is 73 holes.

Comments on a couple of your bullet points first, @Jank . I can't tell you how much I envy your a 3 putt avoidance skills. GREAT STUFF!!! Watching you on the range and also have been in the group behind your foursome a couple times a few years ago and your 2.4% birdie rate on par threes shocks me?? You hit your irons too well for that to make any sense?

Couple surprises from my own data (hole by hole stats from almost 200 rounds at the two courses I play most):
- Always thought I got off the 1st tees well but stats show otherwise. I'm just 41.4% successful at 1 course and 48% at the other vs 49.3% and 54.7% overall at those courses respectively.
- Overall my birdie percentages don't surprise me P3 = 4.5%, P4 = 4.8%, P5 = 10.6% BUT --->
- Holes 2, 3, and 18 are par 5s at one of these tracks. In 109 rounds I've only birdied #2 twice (1.8%) vs 18 birds on #3 (16.5%) and 13 birds + 2 eagles on #18 (13.8%). Hole #2 isn't really much harder than #3 or #18 but I just never birdie it? Thought I did?

Last edited:
I don't know what time frame that's over, but that's 1.54 avg. putts. That is WAY beyond not too bad. 🔥🔥🔥
Thank you.
That is over the course of the 43 rounds I have used Shot Scope. Speed control with the DW is my big struggle, most times I will "Sally Skorts" it and leave it short for a 2 putt and after a couple of holes doing that I end up inevitably playing Hank Arron and hammering it by the hole, usually bad enough I end up with a 3putt.😪
No worries, I just know a new putter come spring time will cure all my putting woes!;):p

I check in on my stats fairly regularly, so not a lot surprises me these days. When looking at specific course performances on the year the other day though, I was kind of shocked to find out the course with far and away the toughest greens, is the one I average the lowest number of total putts on. Wouldn't have guessed that.

I don't think there is anything that surprises me in my golf game. I am realistic about my golf game and very aware of what parts of it need the most work. It all depends on what stats you are looking at.

I do know you have to be cautious about tools such as Garmin, Arcos, etc. for stats as we often find them off considerably. I use Garmin and my buddy uses Arcos and neither are the same and we find discrepancies with both of them. If you use them and understand that they may be off they are great tools.

Right now if I work on my 140 yard and in game that will remove some strokes from my score cards. I also need to work on improving my aim when I am about 190 to 210 out from the greens. I am working hard on getting to a 10 cap and hoping to achieve that goal by Spring of 2021. It might not happen, but I will be working on that goal.

I know I’m a short knocker. My driving average with the driver is 239 yards. That’s about 19 yards longer than I would have guessed. I also have a drive that shows over 300 yards. I have a feeling that may have been a glitch though.

That my drive, approach and chip is worse than others with a similar handicap :cool: I think recoveries and putting I'm above average so that must be where I make it up:unsure:

1606508870931.png

I just had one.

So my driving has been pretty stellar this year, especially after mid summer, and I've slowly started realizing just what that's done to my scoring. Or so I thought? :confused2:

Thanks to thegrint I looked at my Driving % and compared my scoring, and.... there really doesn't appear to be a correlation. There's some rounds that follow the expected trend of better scoring with more fairways, but some that don't, and on the whole they don't really seem tied. Which is just.. kinda crazy.

I have to think that if it was a distance off the tee compared to scoring chart, that there might be more of a connection? I don't know. I didn't see this coming. I hit more greens from the fairway obviously, and my gir seems more tied to scoring, but my fairway percentage somehow isn't as much. Baffling.

I just had one.

So my driving has been pretty stellar this year, especially after mid summer, and I've slowly started realizing just what that's done to my scoring. Or so I thought? :confused2:

Thanks to thegrint I looked at my Driving % and compared my scoring, and.... there really doesn't appear to be a correlation. There's some rounds that follow the expected trend of better scoring with more fairways, but some that don't, and on the whole they don't really seem tied. Which is just.. kinda crazy.

I have to think that if it was a distance off the tee compared to scoring chart, that there might be more of a connection? I don't know. I didn't see this coming. I hit more greens from the fairway obviously, and my gir seems more tied to scoring, but my fairway percentage somehow isn't as much. Baffling.

Interesting for sure. My FIRs seem to drive my scoring arguably more than anything.

Hitting fairway:
Hit the green 57% of the time
Par or better 70.3% of the time
Double+ 4.1% of the time

Missing fairway:
Hit the green 24% of the time
Par or better 39.5% of the time
Double+ 21.5% of the time

Interesting for sure. My FIRs seem to drive my scoring arguably more than anything.

Hitting fairway:
Hit the green 57% of the time
Par or better 70.3% of the time
Double+ 4.1% of the time

Missing fairway:
Hit the green 24% of the time
Par or better 39.5% of the time
Double+ 21.5% of the time

Those makes sense. I'm trying to figure out where the numbers could be giving a false impression for me, but there has to be a distance/position/proximity factor(s) that I can't quite quantify involved. My GIR is 17.9% higher from the fairway but my par or better is only 6% higher from the fairway. I suspect pin hunting is playing a role, too, but I'm afraid to have to admit that one to myself if I continue here and uncover it in a meaningful way. :LOL:

I’ve eagled every hole on the front nine at Ashland Brookside in order, with the exception of the two par 3’s.

Hole 1 par 5 500 yards. Many times, in fact a chip in on this hole was my first ever eagle. It plays longer than the 500 as you are landing into an upslope with your drive and it’s uphill. It takes a good poke now for me to get there in two.

Hole 2 par 4 400 this would have been 20+ years ago too I holed out from 100.

Hole 3 par 4 360 UPHILL. Holed out from 140 or so 20 years ago.

Hole 4 par 3 155-not yet

Hole 5 par 4 330-I’ve driven the green numerous times and never dropped the eagle, but I holed out from just outside 100 yards about 4 years ago.

Hole 6 par 4 365-my longest non hole in one hole out ever at 170 or so after I drew one into the adjacent fairway on this dog leg right. 3 years ago.

Hole 7 par 320 again driven it several times, never making the putt. But a horrific block slice into 8’s FW and had 150 in from the wrong fairway. This was spring of 2018.

Hole 8 par 4 395 yards (I’ve driven it once but never been within 50 yards otherwise, this on a downwind and cement FW day). This was about a week after holing out on 7. This one was from about 105. Oh yeah, I three putted the time I drove it for par, lol. Of course I was like 90 feet away from the pin.

Hole 9 par 3 170 not yet.

The back nine I’ve only eagled the two par 5’s. Despite 18 being driveable and 11 is too under the right conditions. O

I have a lot of lifetime rounds there.

There’s some anomalies about yesterday’s round of nine too. I had 17 putts. I two putted every green except one where I almost chipped in for eagle. I hit one FW. One. It was on a par 5 and I used a 7i off the tee. 1/7 FIR. So 17 putts and 1/7 FW’s, I probably was struggling magnificently, on my way to a 50 or so.

Nope. I hit 8/9 GIR and had tap in pars for my second putt all day. The lone green I missed was missed on purpose as right side is death and the left sucks too but if you can hit off the left hillside it should trickle towards where the flag was. I hit it dead on line and a combo of the wind and a fade that I planned on didn’t make it waver from my start line at all.

My approaches have been scary good for me the last couple rounds. Ended up even par 36 and even better I beat my son, that doesn’t happen much anymore.

View attachment 8975566
If I could putt like you, my quest to reach scratch would be over. You are a great putter!

My stats that surprised me is how many GIR I’m hitting and how few I’m converting. I am an atrocious putter, clearly.
Not necessarily. Proximity to the hole on GIR is the key to whether yo are converting.

I just had one.

Is it because the courses you play do not penalize a missed fairway in most instances? That is true for me. If I only miss a fairway by a few yards, it doesn’t usually hurt me.

Is another possibility that you do not count it as a fairway hit, even if you are only inches off the fairway? Those usually make little to no difference in my scoring.

Interesting post and thread, @Jank... I don’t really keep stats that you do, such as how I perform on hole number 4. It is very interesting. I wonder what it means or if it is just noise, somehow. I follow big picture stats very closely and so there is little surprise at this point, but you have tempted me to go look a little deeper from a micro perspective.

Interesting post and thread, @Jank... I don’t really keep stats that you do, such as how I perform on hole number 4. It is very interesting. I wonder what it means or if it is just noise, somehow. I follow big picture stats very closely and so there is little surprise at this point, but you have tempted me to go look a little deeper from a micro perspective.

I don't think the hole-by-hole stats really mean anything at least not when looking at all courses together. I think it could provide some value when you are looking at specific courses, though (i.e. changing strategy on a certain specific hole to better your score). It was more just kind of a flukey stat that the Grint populates which caught my eye.

Is it because the courses you play do not penalize a missed fairway in most instances? That is true for me. If I only miss a fairway by a few yards, it doesn’t usually hurt me.

Is another possibility that you do not count it as a fairway hit, even if you are only inches off the fairway? Those usually make little to no difference in my scoring.

From what I can tell it's a few things. My fairway percentage goes down slightly on par's over 450, and on par 5's over 550, despite them usually having more open fairways, because I'm more okay with being off the fairway if it gets me closer to the pin or in better position to go at the pin. And when I miss a fairway unintentionally, I immediately change my plan. I obviously don't birdie or better as often, but my pars actually make up a bigger percentage of the off-the-fairway pie than they do the on. Honestly kind of proud of that one now that I've seen it because not compounding errors is one of my main game management principles. So the GIR number (and proximity to pin more specifically) ends up more directly tied to par or better than the fairway in the end. Can't win a hole off the tee as easy as you can lose it, it would seem.

Ultimately it looks like the good driving had the effect I thought it did, and have been saying for a little while, that it significantly raised my scoring floor. My bogey+ percentage is 3 times higher off the fairway. If I'm in the fairway, bad outcomes are pretty rare. It just didn't have as dramatic of an effect on going really low that I guess subconsciously I thought it might. Takes a lot to make little changes that direction though, as you know, so it all makes sense now that I've looked at it a little deeper.

I don't think the hole-by-hole stats really mean anything at least not when looking at all courses together. I think it could provide some value when you are looking at specific courses, though (i.e. changing strategy on a certain specific hole to better your score). It was more just kind of a flukey stat that the Grint populates which caught my eye.
Hole-by-hole scoring in relation to par I find really useful. I have a specific stretch where I consistently struggle regardless of course. I also love hitting the little plus sign next the your name in the app at the start of a hole (when I remember) and seeing how I've performed on that specific hole in the past. Really surprises me sometimes, and seeing it can definitely benefit my decision making. There's usually a hole or two for a course that I actually play (or have played) better than I thought, too.

Last edited:
From what I can tell it's a few things. My fairway percentage goes down slightly on par's over 450, and on par 5's over 550, despite them usually having more open fairways, because I'm more okay with being off the fairway if it gets me closer to the pin or in better position to go at the pin. And when I miss a fairway unintentionally, I immediately change my plan. I obviously don't birdie or better as often, but my pars actually make up a bigger percentage of the off-the-fairway pie than they do the on. Honestly kind of proud of that one now that I've seen it because not compounding errors is one of my main game management principles. So the GIR number (and proximity to pin more specifically) ends up more directly tied to par or better than the fairway in the end. Can't win a hole off the tee as easy as you can lose it, it would seem.

Ultimately it looks like the good driving had the effect I thought it did, and have been saying for a little while, that it significantly raised my scoring floor. My bogey+ percentage is 3 times higher off the fairway. If I'm in the fairway, bad outcomes are pretty rare. It just didn't have as dramatic of an effect on going really low that I guess subconsciously I thought it might. Takes a lot to make little changes that direction though, as you know, so it all makes sense now that I've looked at it a little deeper.
Great analysis. It is so true that an error cannot be compounded. I played a par 5 over the weekend that has a very difficult green. If you miss the fairway to the right, you are in rough, with the ball below your feet, and you have to get over a big pine tree to get to the green. I missed right. Somewhere in the distant past, I would have taken a crack at getting close to the green and, honestly, more than half the time, I can do it. However, that percentage of really screwing yourself is enough that I no longer compound that chance of making double. I took my 7 iron, hit a nice shot into a place in the fairway that opened the pin and had a nice full wedge into the the hole. A two putt par was almost a sure thing and I took the almost sure thing. This, I believe, is what you are saying.

Hole-by-hole scoring in relation to par I find really useful. I have a specific stretch where I consistently struggle regardless of course. I lalso ove hitting the little plus sign next the your name in the app at the start of a hole (when I remember) and seeing how I've performed on that specific hole in the past. Really surprises me sometimes, and seeing it can definitely benefit my decision making. There's usually a hole or two for a course that I actually play (or have played) better than I thought, too.
The more I continue to hear about The Grint, the more it feels like it is digging into a layer of stats that I am not seeing on Arccos or Shot Scope. Pondering starts...

Back