Peter Kostis - No Laying Up

Yuppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp!

He did it without truly going all napalm, just facts, and things some of us have been screaming FOREVER.
He did, which was awesome because as Dean had mentioned prior, he didn’t sound like a jilted lover over it. It was just what it was: they lacked the cameras and they honestly don’t give a damn about it.

Now I really wish Fox were able to get more coverage opportunities than what they have now. Their broadcast to me just improved quite a bit, because they show you a heck of a lot of golf shots.

He did, which was awesome because as Dean had mentioned prior, he didn’t sound like a jilted lover over it. It was just what it was: they lacked the cameras and they honestly don’t give a damn about it.

Now I really wish Fox were able to get more coverage opportunities than what they have now. Their broadcast to me just improved quite a bit, because they show you a heck of a lot of golf shots.
Gotta think they'll at least offer Kostis though for what coverage they do have, no? Would be a good move by Fox as the golf disruptor they are.

Gotta think they'll at least offer Kostis though for what coverage they do have, no? Would be a good move by Fox as the golf disruptor they are.
Do you think the PGA TOUR Executives will allow this?
I know it's a USGA event, but the TOUR could tell them there are future consequences if you do.
The TOUR don't take kindly to bad mouthing.

Wish they did. Give him a bit of free reign and let the commentators do what they do best: shut up when appropriate, talk when appropriate.

Luckily here in Belgium the golf coverage by CBS or FOX is not interrupt by commercials. There is just another announcer during US commercial breaks.

As a consequence we might see shots twice, once during a US commercial break, and once when the commercial is over.

And please stop inviting CEOs to the commentary booth...

he moved Reed back into the mainstream news today.

Thanks @ApexFan I'll queue it up this weekend.

Do you think the PGA TOUR Executives will allow this?
I know it's a USGA event, but the TOUR could tell them there are future consequences if you do.
The TOUR don't take kindly to bad mouthing.

What future consequences? The Tour is about to implement a new 10-year rights deal and Fox isn't one of the broadcasters. If anything Fox is probably salivating over the chance to be the home of the PGL.

Luckily here in Belgium the golf coverage by CBS or FOX is not interrupt by commercials. There is just another announcer during US commercial breaks.

As a consequence we might see shots twice, once during a US commercial break, and once when the commercial is over.

Bills gotta get paid man.

Haven't gotten to this one yet. Between NLU and Foreplay I can get my total golf fix throughout the week during our cold winters. My friends and family think I'm nuts that I listen to golf podcasts.

Was a great listen. He didn't really pull any punches and I can't think of any of his takes that were off base. I can understand how he would be a little bitter. But, he didn't really come across as such. I kind of walked away with a little less respect for the tour and how they handle their business.

Candid. Very enjoyable.

I never put 2 & 2 together about so many commercials being played because of the rights they pay the Tour to broadcast, they have to make that money up some how and some way. I would always chastise CBS when in reality it seems like the Tour is more to blame, which is sad for the viewer.

In terms of Patrick Reed. I had to laugh at going from possible SW layup to mashing 3-wood.

Also liked how the Tour was pissed about him not mentioning 500 FEDEX Cup Points but rather congratulating the Golfer on his 1st win, 2 year exemption, and en route to Augusta. Nobody gives a damn about FedEx Cup points.

Just finished it up. Was soo good and didn't disappoint. Take on Reed was hilarious and how he talked about the PGA being to blame regarding coverage was really eye opening and will be interesting if anything changes. I doubt it, but we can only hope maybe that with so much going online, that we get options in the future.

I think its funny that CBS fires the folks like Kostis for being "stale" yet they would get reprimanded if they really broke away from the normal commentary.

Like he said, "we report the story, but we cant be a part of the story."

100% agreement from Australia.

The surprise of seeing a long distance putt go in diminishes a fair bit when you see it 'live' a second time 30 seconds later ...

I also liked how he said NBC uses a bank of feeds so most of the time they're calling shots on replay but as if live, disingenuous as he said. Approach shot one moment and a second later, the same player is already on the green. ?

Whereas CBS uses one live feed, the same that the viewer sees, in calling the action.

The lack of cameras and watering down of technical talent is what caught my ear most.

I also liked how he said NBC uses a bank of feeds so most of the time they're calling shots on replay but as if live, disingenuous as he said. Approach shot one moment and a second later, the same player is already on the green. ?

Whereas CBS uses one live feed, the same that the viewer sees, in calling the action.

The lack of cameras and watering down of technical talent is what caught my ear most.
Same here. Quality tech guys being forced into early retirement leaving inexperienced guys missing shots and opportunities. He also said that the reason HV3's topped tee shot wasn't show for over an hour was because they simply didn't have a camera on that tee. Had to use PGA Tour's footage after the fact.

Same here. Quality tech guys being forced into early retirement leaving inexperienced guys missing shots and opportunities. He also said that the reason HV3's topped tee shot wasn't show for over an hour was because they simply didn't have a camera on that tee. Had to use PGA Tour's footage after the fact.

which is crazy right? How do they not have a camera on that tee?

Who cares if they call shots on replay? It reduces down time during the broadcast.

I think after reading all of this again, it really makes me appreciate the Masters coverage from last year. They had every shot from every player on tape. Every. Single. One. No special subscriptions needed, you just wait a couple min after they play the shot live and there it is for viewing.

No commentary required.

Gave this a listen this morning. It was very interesting and well done.

I listened to it. Very informative. I’m sure a portion of it needs to be taken with a grain of salt but the Insight provided makes sense... more commercials, less golf. The tour wins with higher and higher broadcast fees and the viewer loses in the end. More commercials, less golf.

I liked what he said about reed and how he saw him improve his lie 4 times. He said she said kind of situation but Reed has already been seen on camera doing this. And he was accused of doing the same in college.

I already figured that the executives with the tv companies don’t care about viewers other than how many commercials per time period were viewed. Now I respect them even less. And I didn’t respect them at all before.

It was amazing, and needed.

And **** Patrick Reed and his ********.
needed for sure, I love some of this honesty coming out of the tour these days

Haven’t listened but glad he called out Reed. Insane how the pga has let that goon get away with cheating.

It was a great interview. The NLU boys great some great insight with their interviews. The Brad Faxon pods were great too.

Back