Peter Kostis - No Laying Up

I thought this was an excellent interview and confirmed a lot of the suspicions I had for the poor coverage. It sucks to think that it's probably not going to change much because of the amount of money that is thrown at CBS for ads.

Great interview......Laughable that CBS feels like they need to go younger.....The Reed stuff insightful. Improving lies a few times.....

Not sure if CBS felt that way, from what Peter says it was the Tour that told CBS they need to get younger and find cheerleaders/people that will toe the line.

It'll be really interesting to see the scrutiny p-reed faces in every tournament from here on out. It seems like the fiasco from the bahamas had kiiiind of faded away but then Brooks calls him out and Kostis absolutely ROASTS him. I hope he gets caught trying the same ish again and gets suspended.

Not sure if CBS felt that way, from what Peter says it was the Tour that told CBS they need to get younger and find cheerleaders/people that will toe the line.
Not sure CBS felt that way...………..Well what way did they feel? Oh a different direction...…??? Like how they called Kostis and Kostis called McCord and he thought he was good as he hadn't gotten a call...so he slept one night thinking he was good...but then next day he had a voicemail he hadn't noticed and met the same fate as Kostis....

Not sure CBS felt that way...………..Well what way did they feel? Oh a different direction...…??? Like how they called Kostis and Kostis called McCord and he thought he was good as he hadn't gotten a call...so he slept one night thinking he was good...but then next day he had a voicemail he hadn't noticed and met the same fate as Kostis....

I’m just the messenger man and telling you what Kostis said in the podcast. He said he had reputable sources who told him it was the PGA Tour that told CBS they should get younger “cheerleaders” on the broadcast. CBS may have felt the same way, but he believes the Tour was the driving force of it all, and CBS obliged.

Haven’t listened but glad he called out Reed. Insane how the pga has let that goon get away with cheating.

You may rest your club lightly on the ground but not press it down. Resting means supporting its own weight only.

13-2 extract

A player must not improve or allow to be improved:
• the position or lie of his ball, by :
• pressing a club on the ground,
However, the player incurs no penalty if the action occurs:
• in grounding the club lightly when addressing the ball

And there in lies the loophole. He can put his club down behind the ball, and if the grass moves on its own, and he’s not pushing it down in his intent... no harm no foul. It’s a giant gray area and loophole, but that’s how it’s gotten away with.

Do I think it’s illegal? Absolutely. Do I understand the reason in the loophole since yeah, you can put a fairway wood down behind a ball in the rough and it is going to flatten it out a bit? Absolutely. Comes down to what intent was, but also the spirit of the rules.

that's an interesting thought. I got the impression that the tour is more focused on marketing its product, and for the contract-holder to be a cheerleader for the product. whereas cbs was focused on getting "younger" while keeping the tour happy.

that's an interesting thought. I got the impression that the tour is more focused on marketing its product, and for the contract-holder to be a cheerleader for the product. whereas cbs was focused on getting "younger" while keeping the tour happy.

Only reason I said it was that thought came directly from Peter, from the 6:30-7:00 minute mark

You may rest your club lightly on the ground but not press it down. Resting means supporting its own weight only.

13-2 extract

And there in lies the loophole. He can put his club down behind the ball, and if the grass moves on its own, and he’s not pushing it down in his intent... no harm no foul. It’s a giant gray area and loophole, but that’s how it’s gotten away with.

Do I think it’s illegal? Absolutely. Do I understand the reason in the loophole since yeah, you can put a fairway wood down behind a ball in the rough and it is going to flatten it out a bit? Absolutely. Comes down to what intent was, but also the spirit of the rules.
But he wasn't addressing the ball. He was grounding the club behind the ball to take a practice swing away from the ball. According to Kostis he did it with multiple clubs. He clearly was pretending to do this to flatten down the grass behind the ball before he took his actual stroke.

But he wasn't addressing the ball. He was grounding the club behind the ball to take a practice swing away from the ball. According to Kostis he did it with multiple clubs. He clearly was pretending to do this to flatten down the grass behind the ball before he took his actual stroke.

I understand that. I’m agreeing with you in that he’s clearly improving his lie. That loophole though is how he’s getting away with it, and he’s not the only player who has done that on film. Kenny Perry did it several years ago just the same.

Yo dumb$#@% I listened I paraphrased and you gotta be Mr Happy....Really...What's your point....
Jeez, lighten up Francis. Someone pee in your Cheerios this morning?

Let’s keep it all friendly fellas. It’s all meant to be fun and games. Just don’t improve your lie any, that’s frowned upon.

I love that players are finally calling each other out, don't ruin the integrity of the game because you think cameras aren't watching.

I’m just the messenger man and telling you what Kostis said in the podcast. He said he had reputable sources who told him it was the PGA Tour that told CBS they should get younger “cheerleaders” on the broadcast. CBS may have felt the same way, but he believes the Tour was the driving force of it all, and CBS obliged.

I came away with this same impression. The Tour wants maximum exposure for it's sponsors and CBS obliged my moving the older guys out for younger talent eager to ow the company line.

13-2 extract

His intent was clearly to improve his lie and he should have been suspended for a tournament. Ensuring that sports are played fairly and by the rules is paramount to any sport and cheating can’t be tolerated.

His intent was clearly to improve his lie and he should have been suspended for a tournament. Ensuring that sports are played fairly and by the rules is paramount to any sport and cheating can’t be tolerated.

Being that it’s on film, and someone watched it/likely called it in, that means it was probably seen and deemed not a big enough issue to have a penalty called on it.

Yo dumb$#@% I listened I paraphrased and you gotta be Mr Happy....Really...What's your point....

Stuff like this is unnecessary. Let’s remember the THP Way and debate civilly please. Thank you.

Being that it’s on film, and someone watched it/likely called it in, that means it was probably seen and deemed not a big enough issue to have a penalty called on it.
I believe he was penalize 2 strokes, I think the issue most of us had is the PGA brushed it under the table rather than send a strong message that cheating is not ok. It sounds like he is known for doing this and it obviously bothers other players.

I also enjoyed the interview, none of Peter’s comments come as a surprise but it’s nice to hear them. Unfortunately I can’t watch CBS golf any less than never.

Can't wait to hear the podcast. Golf has to be the hardest sport (game?) there is to commentate on. Hours of tedious boredom interspersed with a few moments of the most extraordinary (good luck, bad luck, skill, questionable decisions, cheating recorded for posterity, etc), with a high likelihood that the very best of each of those won't be caught by a camera. PK, and Bikini-wax McCord, made it as good as they could, certainly better than Davis Love and Trevor I. ever will. I've recorded Justin Leonard at his most exciting during the WGC so I will have some solution if insomnia becomes a problem.

Who cares if they call shots on replay? It reduces down time during the broadcast.

Care? Never thought it to be a question of caring.

Just found it interesting because I've always noticed it. The interesting part to me wasn't that NBC does it, it was that CBS doesn't. Always just assumed that they all did.

Care? Never thought it to be a question of caring.

Just found it interesting because I've always noticed it. The interesting part to me wasn't that NBC does it, it was that CBS doesn't. Always just assumed that they all did.

I thought the most interesting part of this was finding out CBS only has the audience feed in the towers so they don’t know beforehand.

And finding out that Kostis had to make 8-10 high speed swing analyses of different players beforehand and that they weren’t of a swing on the course- makes sense economically and from a practical standpoint but a little disappointing and disingenuous

I could listen to Kostis talk for another hour. Great interview. Even that final story about why he carries his monitor around his neck had me dying.

I found the discussion on the Tour/CBS fascinating, and how the contract $ made it difficult for CBS to recoup the costs without significantly disrupting the viewer experience. Even though we all really know leagues and networks are just trying to maximize dollars (which means pimping their sponsors/commercials), it kinda sucks to hear from an insider that they really care little about their audience.

He did say though that CBS execs are super sensitive to the social media commentary of their broadcasts. Doesn’t seem to have changed anything though.

No less than 4 witnesses incidents, gotta imagine the full count is 50x. The sob must do it regularly.

Back