I am an accountant too. I can't do math to save my life (hahaha), I let the computer/excel do maths for me.

The lie penalty is easier to figure out when you realize that the game actually mimics real life in that aspect. You will not get spin out of the rough, a full shot is less penalizing than a pitch or other shot out of heavy rough, you can hit it further with a 4i than a 3wood out of lie penalty.

Yeah, some of my buddies I play Xbox with don't get that... "Why didn't that chip spin?!? This game is ridiculous!"

Well, you were in 75% lie rough, that's not gonna spin...

Come to think of it those same guys don't understand that IRL golf either, haha.

Yeah, some of my buddies I play Xbox with don't get that... "Why didn't that chip spin?!? This game is ridiculous!"

Well, you were in 75% lie rough, that's not gonna spin...

Come to think of it those same guys don't understand that IRL golf either, haha.
@-CJ- ....question for both of you...or anyone else too really...

When I have added your ghosts to my round, I have seen you both spin an iron or wedge shot back on the green. I can get the ball to check up, but never pull back (unless there is like 10 mph wind in the face).

It could be a difference in clubs being used (brand, characteristic, etc.), but maybe its something with if you hit low on the ball or something like that. I nearly always hit the bottom of the ball and it produces the 1 bounce and stop...or slight roll after 1 bounce.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It seems the spin back needs a few factors. Fairway lie, green sloping towards you, and a green at the same'ish elevation. Then I hit bottom of the ball and the highest trajectory. Like in real life too a 70% and below swing won't get spin, but a 100% swing will.

with those same factors if I do a lower trajectory I get roll out even with the softest greens? I don't know why. On pro setting in the tour matches the greens are very firm and everything rolls out.

btw I didn't know about ghosting, gonna look into that, seems like fun.

Edit: outside of THP rounds, on pro setting the more you change trajectory and the more you hit higher or lower on the ball I find the margin for error is increased. Like a pitch out of the rough, if I don't get the power into the white zone it goes half the distance I wanted. or a shot out of the bunker gets a "very fast" and hooks out of the planet.

Last edited:
@-CJ- ....question for both of you...or anyone else too really...

When I have added your ghosts to my round, I have seen you both spin an iron or wedge shot back on the green. I can get the ball to check up, but never pull back (unless there is like 10 mph wind in the face).

It could be a difference in clubs being used (brand, characteristic, etc.), but maybe its something with if you hit low on the ball or something like that. I nearly always hit the bottom of the ball and it produces the 1 bounce and stop...or slight roll after 1 bounce.

If I want to spin it, I increase loft and hit the bottom of the ball, but there are a few other factors.

The lie makes a difference - if you're in light or heavy rough, hard to spin it.

Also, slope, both in the hitting area and landing area. Hard to get any spin on it if you are hitting from a downhill lie, and if the ball is LANDING on a downhill slope, it won't spin.

Lastly, especially on chips, I've found there's a big gap between GW and PW in regard to spin. PW is more likely to run out.

I use the splash shot a TON around the green, not just from the bunkers - with LW and GW, if I loft it up all the way, it'll hop, stop and roll back a bit on level to uphill ground. It's super effective in certain situations. I like to land it about 2 yards short of the pin and it'll check up and spin, usually ends up pin high, or sometimes in the cup, haha.

So the current event's course was....frustratingly....awkward. Ironic that we were talking about the effects of wind and elevation, because the 1st round is going to test you.

During the 1st round, I have never over and under shot so many greens. There were a couple of times where I was SURE I'd be within 10 feet...only to fly the green entirely. @-CJ- I saw you do it too. Gotta love the ghost player. The only thing that allowed me to shoot -12 for round 1 was my ability to chip-in. I think I rolled in 4-5 chips.

2nd round....well....lets just say the lack of wind made this course super easy.

@Qwkz51 I saw you posted a 60 for round 2....great round!

So the current event's course was....frustratingly....awkward. Ironic that we were talking about the effects of wind and elevation, because the 1st round is going to test you.

During the 1st round, I have never over and under shot so many greens. There were a couple of times where I was SURE I'd be within 10 feet...only to fly the green entirely. @-CJ- I saw you do it too. Gotta love the ghost player. The only thing that allowed me to shoot -12 for round 1 was my ability to chip-in. I think I rolled in 4-5 chips.

2nd round....well....lets just say the lack of wind made this course super easy.

Finished under on both 18 for the first time ever. :ROFLMAO: tough course with the wind blowing.

Yeah my first round was -11. Missed a bunch of greens. Loved the course and loved the wind, it was fun. Second round with no wind still missed greens but was able to post a -13 or -15 ( I think). It was only because I got an eagle on a hole.

As bad as my iron play was my putting was good considering the long putts my bad iron play gave me.

I only wish I played this good in real life :)

All I needed was to birdie the last 2 holes to take the lead. Got greedy and missed the green. Last hole got to cautious and landed it too far for a birdie putt.

Great course and pins were in easy places to score well.

All I needed was to birdie the last 2 holes to take the lead. Got greedy and missed the green. Last hole got to cautious and landed it too far for a birdie putt.

Great course and pins were in easy places to score well.
My "ability" to chip in from just off the green held me in this one...as my putting was bad due to my lack of patience and concentration.

Very fun course for a simple design.

That was me this newest course, lack of concentration just hammered my round. A couple 3 putts a couple double bogeys.

That was me this newest course, lack of concentration just hammered my round. A couple 3 putts a couple double bogeys.
Wow.....saw that you shot -2 for the 1st round, this course must still be a bit of a beast. Starting the event now. Holding my breath...

UPDATE: shot -5 with surprisingly only 1 bogey. I like the challenge of thia course with the wind and narrow/sloping fairways....BUT.....the laggy play due to the waterfall is annoying and cost me a couple shots.

Greens were tough with many double breakers. I did "watch" you get close to the pin on numerous holes whereas I was constantly 15-20 feet or more away....resulting in pars.

Don't hate the course, but I'd make the waterfall smaller to reduce the lag.

2nd UPDATE: finished at -18 for the event with a 2nd round 59. Got much more aggressive on my shots into the green and converted the putts.

Parshooter blitzed the course in round 1 with a 63....damn....

I holed out for eagle (par 5) on #12 from like 100 yards out. I did like that not all par 5's were reachable in 2. 8,100 yards from the tips, so this course is one of the longer realistic courses I've played. As much as I want to hate it, I like that we all finished close and it forced me to make some guesses that ended up in great spots.

Last edited:
The Falls were a cool idea and well executed but like @stevie-a said the course was laggy as a result.

Also felt like the designer spent a ton of time on the falls and not as much on the course itself. Too many narrow fairways leaving only one way to play the hole.

I did find the greens interesting. They were tough in a subtle way. Not a lot of big undulations but still not easy.

The Falls were a cool idea and well executed but like @stevie-a said the course was laggy as a result.

Also felt like the designer spent a ton of time on the falls and not as much on the course itself. Too many narrow fairways leaving only one way to play the hole.

I did find the greens interesting. They were tough in a subtle way. Not a lot of big undulations but still not easy.
Completely agree with you on the greens. No ridiculous bumps in them, but the double breaks and turns right before the hole made them tough - but fair.

I don't miss fairways badly, but I did a couple times on this course and also rinsed at least 2 balls if I recall.

Completely agree with you on the greens. No ridiculous bumps in them, but the double breaks and turns right before the hole made them tough - but fair.

I don't miss fairways badly, but I did a couple times on this course and also rinsed at least 2 balls if I recall.

It’s not a course that would be any fun with downswing timing on. Too narrow; there’d be lots of missed fairways.

I did not know that the falls caused lag. For me it didn't cause me any issues, but it was annoying. I just didn't have it that day, my putting reads were horrible and just too many mistakes. For such and easy course, I made it hard.

I also play the etour 2k21 official group, and that one too I was just off. Some days I guess its just not there. I am amazed at that group, downswing timing is on and yet after 4 rounds some of these folks are dropping a -51???

I did not know that the falls caused lag. For me it didn't cause me any issues, but it was annoying. I just didn't have it that day, my putting reads were horrible and just too many mistakes. For such and easy course, I made it hard.

I can't say specifically whether it was the falls, I just suspect it since it was such a big feature. When you design a course, there are a few factors that play into the size of the course file in the database, and basically the bigger the file the more risk there is of it lagging. I am guessing that the falls (since they're huge) made it a really big course file.

I also play the etour 2k21 official group, and that one too I was just off. Some days I guess its just not there. I am amazed at that group, downswing timing is on and yet after 4 rounds some of these folks are dropping a -51???

Does the group restrict it to ONLY downswing timing, or can people choose?

Are putt previews on? How many?

Does the group restrict it to ONLY downswing timing, or can people choose?

Are putt previews on? How many?

I don't know if its restricted, I probably should check.

no putt previews at all.

I can't say specifically whether it was the falls, I just suspect it since it was such a big feature. When you design a course, there are a few factors that play into the size of the course file in the database, and basically the bigger the file the more risk there is of it lagging. I am guessing that the falls (since they're huge) made it a really big course file.

@-CJ- ^^^

He nailed it....some of the features, especially moving water, cause the game to "clip" and run unsmoothly...not totally noticeable, but it doesn't run cleanly.

When this happens the swing meter does not move consistently. It could move slower than normal, faster than normal, and I've seen it skip a little bit.

Frustrating as hell..... I've blown a 5 foot putt and it ended up like 25 feet away because the meter jumped and I hit it way too hard.

What is the name of the society and how can I join up? I searched on the game and a few different ones came up.

What is the name of the society and how can I join up? I searched on the game and a few different ones came up.
If you are on Xbox, our society is called THP Cup. Let mw know when you've asked to join and I or @tucsoncacti will add you

Unfortunately you can't play cross platform, so if you are on PC or PS4/5 we can't add you

Haven't played in a while... Firing up for some TPC Sawgrass

@-CJ- ^^^
He nailed it....some of the features, especially moving water, cause the game to "clip" and run unsmoothly...not totally noticeable, but it doesn't run cleanly.
When this happens the swing meter does not move consistently. It could move slower than normal, faster than normal, and I've seen it skip a little bit.
Frustrating as hell..... I've blown a 5 foot putt and it ended up like 25 feet away because the meter jumped and I hit it way too hard.

Good to know. I think the lag did get me on some long irons.

This latest course Ozarks was awesome.

The elevations kicked my butt, I just couldn't get in good putting range on the approaches. Dunked a few miscalculating the elevation yardages. Really liked the course hope to play it again.

Back