PGA Tour Ban Green Reading Books?

I am all for it. Get them gone.

I like the idea of it being left to the player/caddie to decipher the green or use a crude one they create from a practice round more so than one that pinpoints every nook and cranny.

Would it be a ban on pre-created books or everything including those that are made/notes/drawings done by player and caddie?

Good, they take too long reading the green and then reading the book and back and forth. Its a game of skill, read the greens like they did in the past and play your best.
This is something I was thinking about... Is it realistic to think they'll speed up without the book validating, or slow down even more?

This is something I was thinking about... Is it realistic to think they'll speed up without the book validating, or slow down even more?

I honestly think slow players will just play slow.

I honestly think slow players will just play slow.
Until they get hit with it, I think you're right.

...and it's a joke considering how abusively strict the governing bodies are with every other damn rule.

...and it's a joke considering how abusively strict the governing bodies are with every other damn rule.

Or the player isn't a household name. I'm looking at you, Jeff Catlin.

It was a non story at Augusta and will continue to be a non story. The detail in these books might help on the margins but aren’t game changers. There’s multiple answers to making a putt with speed and break. You still see misreads all the time today even with the books.

That's the part that always makes me wonder. Could you imagine if the tour, USGA or some other governing body actually wanted to fix the pace issue?

That's the part that always makes me wonder. Could you imagine if the tour, USGA or some other governing body actually wanted to fix the pace issue?
hahaha, I really can't.

I see no condition where they get involved because they "don't want to impact play"

I like this move! Read the green, not a book

they wouldn't do anything like that! 🤣

Thats a good point, the players trying too hard to now read the green. But if they do hopefully they would get hit with slow play.

Thats a good point, the players trying too hard to now read the green. But if they do hopefully they would get hit with slow play.
I'd take the bet that anyone inside the top 50, probably even 100 will not (with any sort of regularity) be flagged for slow play.

PGA Tour players voted and we could see a ban on the green reading books for next year. Popularity has grown like crazy with tons of players on tour using them, where the Masters is the only tournament that doesn't allow them currently.

Voting was done and now the issue moves to the board of the PGA Tour.

I love this!!
How many companies will go out of business if this goes through? (not happy for that though)

Not really on one side or the other, but will be interesting to see how some fair without them. Most seem to still do ok at Augusta.

Love this! Bring back the inherent skill, instinct…

Green reading should be a skill with no fair advantage to anyone. I think getting rid of the green reading books is a smart idea (y)

I fully support this, although I'm sure a couple businesses aren't at all happy about it. Read the greens like all us regular schmoes have to.

Back