PGA Tour Ban on green reading books

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
It's been widely reported that the PGA Tour player advisory council has voted to ban green-reading books. It still has to go to a full vote to approve. What do you think? Do they contribute to slow play on the PGA Tour and/or for the rest of us?

I'm not a fan of green-reading books or apps, as I've seen an increase in slow play on the greens at public and private courses over the last two or three decades. I personally think green-reading apps/books contribute to slow play. I fully support rangefinder use for all golf, including on tour, as it could help speed up play.

I agree with Rory's statement from the article: https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-tour-green-reading-books-us-open

“Look, everything that’s talked about in those meetings is somewhat confidential, but what I can say, I think—I use a greens book, and I’d like to get rid of them,” McIlroy said. “I think everyone is in the same boat, most guys on tour are in the same boat, that if it’s going to be available to us and it helps us, people are going to use it. But I think for the greater good of the game, I’d like to see them be outlawed and for them not to be used anymore.”

Another article: https://blog.golftown.com/en/tour-news/pga-tour-to-outlaw-green-reading-books-next-year/

I think this is a fantastic idea!

It's been widely reported that the PGA Tour player advisory council has voted to ban green-reading books. It still has to go to a full vote to approve. What do you think? Do they contribute to slow play on the PGA Tour and/or for the rest of us?

I'm not a fan of green-reading books or apps, as I've seen an increase in slow play on the greens at public and private courses over the last two or three decades. I personally think green-reading apps/books contribute to slow play. I fully support rangefinder use for all golf, including on tour, as it could help speed up play.

I agree with Rory's statement from the article: https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-tour-green-reading-books-us-open

“Look, everything that’s talked about in those meetings is somewhat confidential, but what I can say, I think—I use a greens book, and I’d like to get rid of them,” McIlroy said. “I think everyone is in the same boat, most guys on tour are in the same boat, that if it’s going to be available to us and it helps us, people are going to use it. But I think for the greater good of the game, I’d like to see them be outlawed and for them not to be used anymore.”

Another article: https://blog.golftown.com/en/tour-news/pga-tour-to-outlaw-green-reading-books-next-year/
I definitely think they contribute to slow play on the Tour. As far as us everyday/recreational golfers, I don't think I've ever once seen anybody using a green reading book on any course I've ever played.

I definitely think they contribute to slow play on the Tour. As far as us everyday/recreational golfers, I don't think I've ever once seen anybody using a green reading book on any course I've ever played.

I've seen it a few times with an actual book but many of the golf apps including watches have green contours on them. It's a fairly recent development but I've seen guys looking at their phones or golf watches on the greens many times including in my own foursome. I'd like it to stop before it becomes one more thing to slow things down on the course. :)

I really have only one opinion on what the pga does, or what Rory thinks should be done. That being if green reading books are to be banned, then why not ban yardage books from the fairways? Those take time to tead too. Then again, what ever they think, and do is fine with me.

As for play at the courses I frequent, I've never seen a green reading book being used. I've played courses that provided yardage books a few times. Maybe a very few phone apps, but that's about it.

Me, I practice green reading, and will sometimes eye ball the green if there's something there that doesn't look right. That said, on my home course, I know the greens well enough to understand them with out having to look at them too much.

Most of the golfers I see, and play with don't use any electronics when playing. To help with pace of play they just hit the ball, go find it, and hit it again.

I don't see a problem with them, but then again, I'm never in a hurry.
If I though that a green reading encyclopedia would help me, I'd strap a bookshelf onto the cart.
Where it comes to putting, though, nothing helps.

As for rules changes, I think they should be few and infrequent.
The rushed through ones are usually a bad idea, like the 2009 groove rule as one example.

I mean I am against the computer print out green reading books that are out nowadays. However I'm not against if a player during the practice rounds adds some notes in their yardage books using...

utilized in practice..OK...Game day outlawed. Agreed.

Big snooze fest for me either way. This isn’t going to speed up play.

Big snooze fest for me either way. This isn’t going to speed up play.
Agreed...these guys will still walk around the flag and read the putt from every direction...may end up slowing down play.

I would be in favor of a ban. I don’t think they’re exactly detrimental to the game but it would be cool to see players and caddies work a little harder for their money. I’m not really sure it would impact pace of play though. Consulting a book seems much quicker than actually coming up with your own read out of thin air

Agreed...these guys will still walk around the flag and read the putt from every direction...may end up slowing down play.
Two words - Shot clock.

Especially on the greens. You don't need 7 minutes to read a freaking putt.

Two words - Shot clock.

Especially on the greens. You don't need 7 minutes to read a freaking putt.
A shot clock is a great idea. From the time the group ahead is clear and you are at your ball you have x amount of minutes to take a shot. I feel like 3-5 minutes would be more than enough time and would not stress any of the players out

I’m all for it.
I think green reading should be a skill and not given to you.
I think the argument about yardage books from the fairway is an apples and oranges type thing.

I think a general reference green books are ok.
Green reading books that are very detailed are a no go

What I mean by this is I don't mind if you have something in you yards book that says where ridges, false fronts, and similar major facets are drawn.
I don't like when there is a million arrows and percentage of slope are listed everywhere.
And the green-books should not be to scale. It's just a reference, a reminder kind of thing.
If you want more details notes, get your pencil out and make them during your practice rounds.

I don't know. If it's just green undulations (what I generally use), then I don't think that's a problem. If it's trying to read is the slope 2.3 for the first 3 feet, then 2.5, then 2.6 , then 4 and trying to lay out a putt? Yeah..that's overkill.

I think generally does the putt move away from the hole and what direction is all anyone should need. Everything else should be feel and green reading when there.

I think removing them is just going to slow down the pace more than it will help it. Removing something that takes doubt away just means now the player has to do it manually. We all know how much a GPS device speeds up play vs not having it, and those are not much different in the scheme of things than a green reading book.

I’m curious to see how putting stats would change without players being helped by the books.

I’m curious to see how putting stats would change without players being helped by the books.

+1 especially if there was a big clock that allowed only x amount of time to putt!

I think this is a great idea! Golfer gets to the green and sticks his nose in a book! Learn to read greens! You can still use Aimpoint, they're not thinking of banning that!

A shot clock is a great idea. From the time the group ahead is clear and you are at your ball you have x amount of minutes to take a shot. I feel like 3-5 minutes would be more than enough time and would not stress any of the players out
I'd lose my mind if I played with somebody who took 3-5 minutes to hit a shot.

Back