PGA Tour driving distances dropped in 2019 and only up 1% since 2005

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Average driving distance dropped a couple yards last year on the PGA Tour to 293.8 yards. The Korn Ferry averages also dropped 2.7 yards and the Champions Tour saw it’s biggest drop ever of 6.8 yards. Are driving distances really the big problem that some say they are?

Considering the depth of field, better fitness, better/longer ball, improved fittings/data, and better equipment why is average driving distance not up more significantly the last 15 years. In fact it’s interesting to me that the average driving distance on the Champions Tour(swing speeds a lot closer to us mere mortals) was 268.8 yards, shorter than it was 15 years ago. The Champions tour saw their biggest drop in driving distance ever last year which is also interesting. Are they watering the landing areas more??

2019’s yardages were only up 4 yards from 15 years ago which is only a 1% increase! I would have guessed with the better average fitness and bigger more athletic golfers on tour would would have seen a much bigger jump in driving distance.

I think we are starting to see a trend of those guys wanting more control and better dispersion so maybe that is playing into the slight shorter distances.

That's definitely surprising to me. Is there any data to say what clubs the players are using on these holes? Could be they're using shorter clubs more often than in previous years.

One thing is for sure, most of them aren't using these long tent poles we call drivers and if they are looking for tighter dispersion then they are sticking with what works to achieve that.

I think we are starting to see a trend of those guys wanting more control and better dispersion so maybe that is playing into the slight shorter distances.

This.
And then compound that with how these stats are taken, which is not every drive.

This.
And then compound that with how these stats are taken, which is not every drive.

This!!!!

Frig it's annoying especially given today's tech.

This.

Agree. Straight is still important and they only measure 2 drives per round normally one downwind and one into the wind if wind is a big factor that day. I don’t doubt that the pros have gotten longer I just thought it interesting that all three men’s Tours saw a decrease last year.

They only count two drives per round? What's the purpose of that?

Fake news? Or trying to keep from dialing ball or drivers down?

I don’t think the PGA Tour would falsify stats but maybe. Maybe more watering of landing areas or more rain? Minnesota had their wettest year on record so we could now blame climate change for reducing driving distances, lol.;)

Fake news? Or trying to keep from dialing ball or drivers down?

that’s an interesting theory. I’d lean more towards control and shorter shafts

I’d also argue they’re down because guys are hitting fairway woods so effing far now they’re not banging drivers out there as much or as aggressively anymore.

I’d also argue they’re down because guys are hitting fairway woods so effing far now they’re not banging drivers out there as much or as aggressively anymore.

Driver use on the holes measured was 94 percent in 2018 and 93 percent in 2019, not a big difference.

Driver use on the holes measured was 94 percent in 2018 and 93 percent in 2019, not a big difference.
Hmm.

Other things to consider though, the longest aren’t hitting as much driver whereas others now are hitting more.

Also, could be skewed by the weather and conditions, no? Talking a minor change.

Up 1% in 15 years is pretty shocking to me. Not only with the technology changes in the clubs but the workout and fitness level of the pros these days.

As others have mentioned, there could be many factors, but it is a very interesting statistic.

Very interesting. Some great potential reasons why already brought. Players now are bigger, faster and stronger. We all see what happens when players like Brooks or Rory go after the driver 100% and ink out 350 yard drives. But we all know that most players don't hit driver with 100% effort. Are they getting those average drives now with less effort from the swing due to tech and just being in better shape?

Hard to buy these stats.

Watch Waste Management next week and see how #18 is played vs 10 years ago. Chez Reavie played it in 2018 vs Gary Woodland with 3 wood and a wedge

18 used to be a demanding hole ?

Hmm.

Other things to consider though, the longest aren’t hitting as much driver whereas others now are hitting more.

Also, could be skewed by the weather and conditions, no? Talking a minor change.

This is correct.
I would also argue that they are forced to take some off at times because the powers that be brought the groove rule into play to penalize those from going all out.

Another example of using the top players in the world and ******* the rest of the millions.

Immediately I wonder how stats are being calculated. As others have said the longest guys aren’t hitting driver all the time. If they do we’ve seen some drives not hit the fairway, but go far, are these counted?

the other thing is that these guys aren’t swinging 100% every time. They are so dialed in their 3w or long iron is enough to put them into position and help them score

Hard to buy these stats.

Watch Waste Management next week and see how #18 is played vs 10 years ago. Chez Reavie played it in 2018 vs Gary Woodland with 3 wood and a wedge

18 used to be a demanding hole ?

My perception is they are much longer off the tee but stats show differently.

Twain was right.?

3BBFD77C-2375-4246-A2A8-261B61A72B6D.jpeg

The statistics exhibited are for the very best who predominantly strike the center of the face. I would postulate that the improvements in AI and technology have helped the every day golfer much more than the tour pro by expanding sweetspots and shafts to help slower swing speeds.

Let's look at the (average) data slightly differently:

100th longest driver in 2020 - Denny McCarthy at 299.8 yards
100th longest driver in 2015 - Ryo Ishikawa at 289.2
100th longest driver in 2010 - Jeev Milkha Singh at 287.3
100th longest driver in 2005 - Briny Baird at 288.7

So actually, between 2005 and 2015, we didn't see much of a change for a mid-length pro. But the last five years has seen an explosion of over 10 additional yards.

In 2005, only 26 averaged over 300 yards. In 2015, it was still 26 pros averaging over 300. In 2020, there are 98, and the 99th (at 299.9) is Gary Woodland ...

Of course, I am manipulating things to prove a point (i.e. the 2020 dataset is not complete), but still, I think the simplistic argument that things haven't changed deserves a fair bit more scrutiny. For example, in 2019 (complete dataset), twice as many players averaged over 300 yards than in 2015.

Averages are often not the best measure to examine change; in this scenario, median driving distance would be interesting.

Last edited:
Back