PGA Tour Responds to Premier Golf League

He has already lost. If this happens and the money is as big as it appears the big names will play those events and the PGA tour will become the alt event. I think competition is good. If they come in with fresh ideas. Fresh locations and a better viewing experience I am game.

The PGA has gotten old and stale. I am not surprised their response was threatening rather than "well we need to innovate and do better" They have zero good ideas.

The last time they had a good idea was the WGC events and that was only because Greg Norman was putting together a world tour as well.

PGA Tour marketing already pales in comparison to the Euro Tour, can’t see them getting better than another Tour with more money ?

Ha - see my response above.

I don’t care that it’s PGA Tour Euro Tour PGL if the golf and content is great sign me up.

Why I like Fox’s US Open coverage.

How much is the Players purse?

The team aspect does intrigue me, I like watching the Zurich, some teams don’t move the needle but Koepka and his brother and some of the others were fun.

Purse was raised to $15 million with $2.7 million to the winner.

Monahan is trying to buy his way into Major status.

Has Tiger commented on this? While he is still active, that’s where the viewers will go.

Post-Tiger, the PGA would be ripe for sabotage by a competitor.
I think the Tiger aspect is interesting. Regardless of which entity you're looking at a post Tiger golf world is just around the corner and that's going to have a major impact. Can a new league be successful without someone like him? Or on the flip side could the new league attract an all star team of players that would bring in more viewership?

The last time they had a good idea was the WGC events and that was only because Greg Norman was putting together a world tour as well.

So, not there idea?? Again no new ideas. Their tag line should be live sub par. Not live under par. Their content is crap, they talk too dang much. They think the history of said event is more important than actually showing what is actually happening in the present. You get 30 min of hearing about Justin Rose's Bahama relief instead of showing golfers hitting golf shots...

Goodbye. And this is coming from someone that watches dang near every event.

Ill be curious to see how courses respond to this. I would think "enough quality fish in pond" to play different tracks but also curious to see if PGA puts certain ones on a contract per say.

PGA Tour might want to start a marketing blitz~!!

LOL. “Marketing”. Not the PGA tours best skillset.

I do think geography is one of the reasons team sports work. Team Tennis never took off, because nobody cared that the Sharks were facing off against the Beavers as nobody had a home team ever.

Team sports work for some sports without a “home” team though, look at F1. There’s a team aspect there, yet the drivers are still competing against each other. It’s not as pronounced a “team” event but you still have team fans. I think a golf team would have to be OEM based, like F1. If the OEMs have a chance to offset some costs by fielding a team of golfers I think we might see support from them as well.

Purse was raised to $15 million with $2.7 million to the winner.

Monahan is trying to buy his way into Major status.

So if he doesnt raise the purse he is taking money from the players and if he does, he is trying to buy his way in? Weird.

So if he doesnt raise the purse he is taking money from the players and if he does, he is trying to buy his way in? Weird.

Revenue sharing with the players based on the new TV deal and raising the purse at the Players are two separate comments entirely.

I admit I know very little about how far along and the main crust of this possible league.

Has any of the big OEM companies made any comments?

“The schedule for the Team Golf Concept is designed to directly compete and conflict with the PGA Tour’s FedExCup schedule, and to not conflict with the Masters, PGA Championship, U.S. Open and The Open Championship,” commissioner Jay Monahan said.

“If the Team Golf Concept or another iteration of this structure becomes a reality in 2022 or at any time before or after, our members will have to decide whether they want to continue to be a member of the PGA Tour or play on a new series,” Monahan said.
hahahahaha, that’ll about end that

Best analogy...The PGA Tour is looking at being the European Tour vs PGA...This gig played out a few decades ago too. Competition is good. PGA Tour functions like an elitist snob club anyway.

Those fateful words have been spoken and then eaten before.

Team sports work for some sports without a “home” team though, look at F1. There’s a team aspect there, yet the drivers are still competing against each other. It’s not as pronounced a “team” event but you still have team fans. I think a golf team would have to be OEM based, like F1. If the OEMs have a chance to offset some costs by fielding a team of golfers I think we might see support from them as well.

@dazeedmonds do you watch F1?

I think a lot of the top PGA players are seriously looking into this. It would guarantee them more money and allow to play a lot more limited schedule with a real off season. Even Rory said it pretty straight last week that the top player's don't earn enough in relation to the rest of the field. In tennis it's Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic who are miles and miles ahead of the rest in earnings (they are all three way ahead of Tiger as well). From the sponsors point of view you can also guarantee a top field which the PGA tour cannot do.

This would be my thought on it too, the OEM's would be the team owners. Think about the possibilities of bringing out new clubs and balls for certain types of courses and bringing that aspect a lot more to the forefront. This week we are playing a "stinger" course, out come the driving irons and balls of certain type. Hell they could even move away from pure USGA / R&A rules and get real crazy with the equipment.

The problem with the PGA Tour is that they give spots to guys that are just past their time. There are players that should be getting starts from the Korn Ferry tour. There are also guys that aren’t exempt into tournaments that are fringe Top 30 fed ex cup. The PGA tour is pretty broken in the fact that the top players aren’t getting the money that they generate.

I would love to see the PGA Tour and the Euro Tour combine and actually make a world tour.

This is going to get real quick. I think we've seen with the middle east tourneys, that tour caliber players will go where the money is. If the PGA tourney can't compete with purses, and they draw a line in the sand, I'm afraid they are going to lose and lose big.

I do think they have to draw a line, and I really like the way the PGA tour has responded to fans and players in the past. I also think if this tourney has the capital backing, it could be real trouble for the PGA tour. I can't see them banning a Phil if he plays there (as some PGA players have opted to play overseas during the normal PGA season depending on the tourney). If a PGA tour player meets the qualifications to play for the cup, I can't imagine the PGA tour has any realistic standing to ban them from another tournament.

Occasionally, not a huge follower but I’ll record the races and watch now and again.

i used to follow all of it but I stopped recording races last year because I would just fast forward through 80% of it. I really just wanted to see the pre race, the start, pit stops, and the press conference.

Premier golf league? I’m still getting used to the fedex cup and Korn ferry tour... and not the web.com or Nike tour.

The pga tour is threatening to take exemption status away from players if they play in premier golf league events? A lot of the players would go where the money is... if there’s more chance they get paid to play just for showing up, I see them going there. And no cut? Yeah. Pga tour needs to match or die slowly.

Oh sure, the pga tour will hold dear to its 4 majors as the rest of the events quietly fold their tents because no one will want to watch a field of John Smith and Danny who? Fight it out for less money and unknown sponsors...

Premier golf league? I’m still getting used to the fedex cup and Korn ferry tour... and not the web.com or Nike tour.

The pga tour is threatening to take exemption status away from players if they play in premier golf league events? A lot of the players would go where the money is... if there’s more chance they get paid to play just for showing up, I see them going there. And no cut? Yeah. Pga tour needs to match or die slowly.

Oh sure, the pga tour will hold dear to its 4 majors as the rest of the events quietly fold their tents because no one will want to watch a field of John Smith and Danny who? Fight it out for less money and unknown sponsors...

None of the Major's are run by the PGA tour so player's of the PGL could participate in them as well. The only question mark would be if you would receive OWGR points from the PGL events (which in case not could prevent Major participation due to lack of sufficient ranking).

The PGA Tour has no influence or control over the 4 Majors.

None of the Major's are run by the PGA tour so player's of the PGL could participate in them as well. The only question mark would be if you would receive OWGR points from the PGL events (which in case not could prevent Major participation due to lack of sufficient ranking).

If they can award OWGR points for the stupid Tour Championship setup I doubt this league would have much trouble.

The secret weapon in the Tour's arsenal is the Corporate payoffs to the Pros to show up and play...My guess on average the big names...and big names is many more than you would think...garner more compensation from special days of appreciation for play in tournaments than they make from winnings in tournaments...So another tour which increases the prize pool slightly isn't enough to pull away the stars who on average get $500,000 just for showing up plus their winnings....

I think this has legs and is going to get really interesting. On the current PGA Tour the top players are completely subsidizing the lesser players, not to mention subsidizing the entire Champions Tour and I could see enough top players getting sick of it and moving over to PGL. Rory has already tapdanced around this issue in a few press conferences, hinting that the PGA Tour needs to completely fix the dispersion of money.

The deciding factor has got to be Tiger. If he decides to give the PGA Tour the 1-finger salute and move over for a large equity stake in PGL, or in a PGL Team - watch out. Will he? I have no idea.

As a fan I think the PGA Tour is a victim of it's own success. They are so entrenched in their traditions that they can't see the forest for the trees anymore. Coverage is awful and stale, especially on CBS (IMO). Ultimately I think there's room for a competitor to the PGA Tour.

Back