PGA Tour to announce June restart

I sincerely hope it happens. I personally am of the opinion that we should open up and stop all restriction. I understand what that means and I understand many do not feel that way. But that is how I feel. If people think it is wrong to go to movies, sporting events, or restaurants, I think they can make the decision to not go.

I was all for the shelter in place in the beginning, I have since changed my mind based on everything that I have read and seen.
I beat you to it by seconds. But you echo my opinion 100%. With some stories I've read saying this could be around for the next couple of years we need to let ppl make their own choices about their safety.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I beat you to it by seconds. But you echo my opinion 100%. With some stories I've read saying this could be around for the next couple of years we need to let ppl make their own choices about their safety.

I completely agree. (y)

I hope it holds, but I’m not optimistic. If I recall, spectators won’t be allowed at the first few events. Will be interesting to see how the players handle it. We’ve seen both sides from players wanting to play and others who would rather be cautious.
I think it's fine if players don't feel comfortable, then they shouldn't play.

How’s everyone feeling about the Tour’s timeline. I’m still kind of in an I’ll believe it when I see it mindset.
I'll believe it when I see it, but I hope it happens. People (both players and fans) have choices, it's not like anybody is being forced to do anything.

Ok so the first few events starting 6/8 are in TX, SC, CT, MI, and IL. Texas is certainly a good starting point.

We are a month away, and I think we see PGA golf in June. Might look a bit different, but we will see events played. or maybe I am just a glass real half full type of a guy.

We are a month away, and I think we see PGA golf in June. Might look a bit different, but we will see events played. or maybe I am just a glass real half full type of a guy.
I’ll have you drinking!

I think they'll start up and I hope they really do. Take precautions, do what is necessary, if some players don't want to play, don't. They keep saying they are all individual contractors, and that keeps them free to play when and where they want. So keep them free to do what they want, but don't penalize the ones that want to play under the given circumstances of each tournament, i.e. no fans, health checks, etc....

If it means I have any real live legit sporting event to watch then I'm all for it.

I think you're right. If networks are already planning charity events, surely by limiting the amount of people in every given space the tour should be able to follow suit.

I wouldn't be surprised to see spectators allowed back in by mid summer, but I would bet that there will be no fans allowed around the greens.

I will be watching the Colonial Live and in person

Love it! hope everyone stays safe and no issues on the opening.

I hope it holds personally. While I understand peoples hesitation I think it's time for people to take personal responsibility for themselves. If a player or volunteer or spectator doesn't feel comfortable attending, then don't. Same for society at large imo.

What about taking personal responsibility for the well-being of those around them?

What about taking personal responsibility for the well-being of those around them?
Who you are around is by definition a personal choice. Look at grocery stores, Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot etc. in my area these places have been packed since the "shutdown" I'm pretty sure this is probably the case in most places.

Some doctors and news articles are saying this could be around for 2 years. Are we really going to wait that long to put the 30 million+ people who've lost their jobs back to work? Is that how long I have to wait to see my uncle again in his nursing home?

The numbers are fairly clear on who is at a high risk and who isn't. It's just my opinion that shutting the world down isn't the answer at this point. We cannot continue this much longer. That goes for an economic standpoint as well as a sanity standpoint for people.

Who you are around is by definition a personal choice. Look at grocery stores, Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot etc. in my area these places have been packed since the "shutdown" I'm pretty sure this is probably the case in most places.

Some doctors and news articles are saying this could be around for 2 years. Are we really going to wait that long to put the 30 million+ people who've lost their jobs back to work? Is that how long I have to wait to see my uncle again in his nursing home?

The numbers are fairly clear on who is at a high risk and who isn't. It's just my opinion that shutting the world down isn't the answer at this point. We cannot continue this much longer. That goes for an economic standpoint as well as a sanity standpoint for people.

The person you're next to on the subway didn't choose to be near you. The person that made your food at the local fast food restaurant didn't choose to be near you. The healthcare worker that has to treat you or someone you infect didn't choose that.

It is not as simple as just making a choice to be cautious or not. Once businesses are open, people will have to choose whether to work sick or not make enough money to put food on the table. Which will they choose? We already saw that answer at all of the meatpacking plants.

A big part of the projection that the virus will be around for a couple years is because the expectation is that people will not take the proper precautions. With adequate testing and contact tracing in place, we can start to safely open things up. But without those, we risk even more severe economic damage because, surprisingly enough, significant death tolls are costly.

The person you're next to on the subway didn't choose to be near you. The person that made your food at the local fast food restaurant didn't choose to be near you. The healthcare worker that has to treat you or someone you infect didn't choose that.

It is not as simple as just making a choice to be cautious or not. Once businesses are open, people will have to choose whether to work sick or make money to put food on the table. Which will they choose? We already saw that answer at all of the meatpacking plants.

A big part of the projection that the virus will be around for a couple years is because the expectation is that people will not take the proper precautions. With adequate testing and contact tracing in place, we can start to safely open things up. But without those, we risk even more severe economic damage because, surprisingly enough, significant death tolls are costly.
I disagree respectfully with you. That person on the subway chose to get on the subway just I did. Those are personal choices. I don't need the government to tell me whether or not I can ride the subway or go to a public park that my tax dollars support. By going out everyday you make a choice, virus or no virus. When I went to Lowe's yesterday I chose to be in public and accepting the risk.

I disagree respectfully with you. That person on the subway chose to get on the subway just I did. Those are personal choices. I don't need the government to tell me whether or not I can ride the subway or go to a public park that my tax dollars support. By going out everyday you make a choice, virus or no virus. When I went to Lowe's yesterday I chose to be in public and accepting the risk.

That person on the subway might be going to their job to clean up the public park you insist on experiencing. Your desire is what is making them be on that subway.

When you went to Lowe's yesterday, do you think that perhaps there were people working there that would rather be avoiding contact with hundreds of people?

This isn't to say everything should be shut down. A place like Lowe's should, in my opinion, be open because much of what is available there is still very important to have access to right now. But the suggestion that everyone has a choice regarding their exposure is inaccurate.

A big part of the projection that the virus will be around for a couple years is because the expectation is that people will not take the proper precautions.

man, i missed that in the footnotes.

man, i missed that in the footnotes.
Perhaps a better way to phrase that is "a big part of that projection is the acknowledgement that people HAVE NOT taken the proper precautions."

We've seen other countries that were more proactive begin the process of coming out the other side of this. Sure, the horse has pretty much left the barn on that one for the US. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be striving to get there as best we can given where we are at today.

@Pantherhawk
the healthcare professional that treats everyone did choose that line of work.

lastly, i was assuming this thread was supposed to be fun because golf was starting but here we go.............................
i will not comeback here and banter with you over this so please spare me the @ me.

@Pantherhawk

lastly, i was assuming this thread was supposed to be fun because golf was starting but here we go.............................
i will not comeback here and banter with you over this so please spare me the @ me.
It's probably my fault. But bring on the golf, even with no fans and/or reduced fields.

I hope it happens but I am not getting my hopes up.

@Pantherhawk

You can try and paint me as the bad guy by telling me I can't respond to you after you insert yourself into a conversation, but that's remarkably hypocritical.

And those healthcare workers didn't sign up to fight a pandemic that others aren't trying to mitigate.

Per Golfweek source, PGA Tour will announce their intention to restart with no fans on June 11-14 at the Charles Schwab Challenge in Ft. Worth, Texas. Here's the projected schedule thereafter:

June 18-21: RBC Heritage, Harbor Town Golf Links, Hilton Head Island, SC.
June 25-28: Travelers Championship, TPC River Highlands, Cromwell, Conn.
July 2-5: Rocket Mortgage Classic, Detroit Golf Club
July 9-12: John Deere Classic, TPC Deere Run, Silvis, Ill.
July 16-19: Memorial Tournament, Muirfield Village G.C., Dublin, Ohio
July 23-26: 3M Open, TPC Twin Cities, Blaine, Minn.
July 30-Aug. 2: WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational, TPC Southwind, Memphis
July 30-Aug. 2: Barracuda Championship, Tahoe Mt. Club, Truckee, Calif.
Aug. 6-9: PGA Championship, TPC Harding Park, San Francisco
Aug. 13-16: Wyndham Championship, Sedgefield C.C., Greensboro, N.C.
Aug. 20-23: The Northern Trust, TPC Boston
Aug. 27-30: BMW Championship, Olympia Fields (Ill.) Country Club
Sept. 3-7: Tour Championship, East Lake G.C., Atlanta
Sept. 17-20: U.S. Open, Winged Foot G.C., Mamaroneck, N.Y.
Sept. 25-27: Ryder Cup, Whistling Straits, Haven, Wis.
Nov. 12-15: Masters, Augusta National G.C., Augusta, Ga.

What do you guys think? Does this seem realistic or too soon?

Still a question of liability......If an out break occur the court papers will read that the tour knew or should have known that it was too soon for a tournament to happen....

Back