PGA Tour to announce June restart

Well, I like the hopefulness that golf can return. I guess worst case the push it back a week or two at a time but at least this gives us something to look forward to

I think this is extremely ambitious as to restarting the Tour. You need to consider the players, caddies, tournament officials and staff. In addition, if televised, the production staff and broadcasters. All these people will be brought together. Although, one may believe that you can accommodate necessary social distancing on the golf course, it may not be a chance that they should be taking at this time.

Here are my thoughts:
1. Society is going stir crazy with out an outlet to sports.
2. Limit it to players only & tv analyst. For this to happen I think a full approval of both players & staff needs to be obtained.
3. Remove the Tour Playoff, for those golfers that don't feel safe traveling!
4. Game on!!!

While I think the schedule looks fine, I wonder how the prize pool and local tournament is affected financially by not having fans. I am sure TV kicks in most of the money and sponsors will be happy to have anything on TV. Yet, I wonder about the local course or locale and how not having fans affects them.

Wishfully thinking, what is Tiger's likely schedule?

I think these are locks:

***July 16-19: Memorial Tournament
***July 30-Aug. 2: WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational
***Aug. 6-9: PGA Championship
***Aug. 20-23: The Northern Trust
***Aug. 27-30: BMW Championship
Sept. 3-7: Tour Championship (assuming he is in the top 30)
***Sept. 17-20: U.S. Open
***Nov. 12-15: Masters

June 11-14: Colonial: He hasn't played Fort Worth in what 20 years? Will he use it to begin knocking off months of rust?

Has he ever played these events or courses?

June 18-21: RBC (likely):
June 25-28: Travelers Championship
July 2-5: Rocket Mortgage Classic
July 9-12: John Deere Classic
July 23-26: 3M Open
July 30-Aug. 2: Barracuda Championship
Aug. 13-16: Wyndham Championship

My understanding talking to health professionals in this area is they are being told to expect a peak this month in the more metropolitan areas and the more rural areas will be around 1 month behind that. I think in 2 months we should be able to see events without fans and then it will probably be limited fans as thinks get back in to place before allowing the full onslaught to be brought back in.

If, which is a big if IMO, was to actually start back up in mid June. I wonder what players will actually show up? I doubt some will feel safe traveling, add caddies to that mix. Sure some get to travel privately, but that's a pretty small group of players.

I think the Memorial on July 16th is where we'll see most of the big names and hopefully a good amount of fans.
I doubt there will be fans at any of these events. That said I am ready for golf so let's do this!!!

I would assume, if and when they resume, that there would be no fans. I am ready for golf and sports to return. I don’t know when it will happen but at least they are thinking about it and making preparations for the return.

I think all of this is predicated on getting more and faster access to testing for the virus and the antibody. I have read a few different things where they think that could be coming by early to mid May..... If that is the case, no reason that the tour won't be able to travel for these events. I doubt we see fans at several of these events, and possibly many/all of them, but TV is the most important part of that financial equation. Commentating could probably be done remotely, but still think they will need production staff to set up and run cameras on course.

Some areas (NE and Detroit) come to mind as questionable, but we are looking at 2 months from now, and what seems to be improving situations in many areas of the country. Anyway, I am glad to see it, and while I won't be surprised to see it change multiple times, gives me hope that things can start to get back to normal even in slow ways in all segments of society.

I'd like to see if there is plan for logistics (travel). Will there be contingencies and help from the tour for not only players and caddies, but tournament staff, press, tv staff, etc? It's still a decent amount of people.

Stinks there will be no fans, but it will be great watching from the comfort of our homes. Seems a little premature, and far fetched.. But I am optimistic. It could happen!

I say let's go. Something is better than nothing right now.

cant wait till we get live sports back on TV. The last few events are going to be fantastic venues.

I’ll take just about anything right now....or 2 months from now.

The selfish part of me says damn the torpedoes. Full speed ahead and get the tour going again NOW!

That's outweighed by the unprecedented caution that's been taken so far with this pandemic. I think the tour should consider using more caution in restarting so soon when multiple states are still in lockdown and there are so many moving parts that need to be put back in place.

At what tournament do you think they will allow fans? Understand the first few are definitely off limits. Hoping for Memorial as its nearby, but seems doubtful. Any on the list going to have fans? Understanding that there is a lot of room to spread out on these courses have to assume some of the bigger tournaments later in the year will have to allow fans?

Maybe they see a potential to bring in new fans to the game if they're the first pro sports to open up (and potentially get non-golf fans to watch)?

There are hardly ever any fans at the Korn Ferry Tour events are there? Let's do this...

Texas is intending to slowly start reopening businesses May 1st, so it doesn't sound unreasonable. Texas and other early reopeners will likely set the tone for how things will go. We'll see if it turns out to be okay or catastrophic...I'm not sure we will really know enough by June 1st though.

July 2-5 rocket mortgage, looking for a repeat out of Nate Lashley! :sneaky:

How’s everyone feeling about the Tour’s timeline. I’m still kind of in an I’ll believe it when I see it mindset.

How’s everyone feeling about the Tour’s timeline. I’m still kind of in an I’ll believe it when I see it mindset.
I hope it holds personally. While I understand peoples hesitation I think it's time for people to take personal responsibility for themselves. If a player or volunteer or spectator doesn't feel comfortable attending, then don't. Same for society at large imo.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I sincerely hope it happens. I personally am of the opinion that we should open up and stop all restriction. I understand what that means and I understand many do not feel that way. But that is how I feel. If people think it is wrong to go to movies, sporting events, or restaurants, I think they can make the decision to not go.

I was all for the shelter in place in the beginning, I have since changed my mind based on everything that I have read and seen.

I hope it holds personally. While I understand peoples hesitation I think it's time for people to take personal responsibility for themselves. If a player or volunteer or spectator doesn't feel comfortable attending, then don't. Same for society at large imo.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I hope it holds, but I’m not optimistic. If I recall, spectators won’t be allowed at the first few events. Will be interesting to see how the players handle it. We’ve seen both sides from players wanting to play and others who would rather be cautious.

Back