Phil back to Phrankenwood?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Listening to Sirius XM PGA Tour radio and in an interview yesterday Phil talked about how the bigger drivers weighting have made it harder for him to hit as the balance/axis/weight has moved away from the heel. With that, he’s going back to the Xhot 2-wood with a current shaft to try and make a 285 carry club and just using the overlength driver for a few holes.

What do you think about the return of the Phrankenwood?

Just Phil being Phil.

He’s worried about hitting it further vs working on what made him really good 43 times: iron play, short game, sketchy putting.

• Staff
All I know, is I don’t like FIGJAM buy I hope he has success and we see the return of the mini driver!

im wondering if hes thinking his driver is to long for the senior tour, hit the 2 and it sets him up better?

Listening to Sirius XM PGA Tour radio and in an interview yesterday Phil talked about how the bigger drivers weighting have made it harder for him to hit as the balance/axis/weight has moved away from the heel. With that, he’s going back to the Xhot 2-wood with a current shaft to try and make a 285 carry club and just using the overlength driver for a few holes.

Seemed to be hitting the Mavrik pretty darn well last weekend in his W on the Champions Tour. #PhilBeingPhil

• Staff
im wondering if hes thinking his driver is to long for the senior tour, hit the 2 and it sets him up better?
The interview wasn’t that, he has no cares about the Champions Tour, this is all about the big tour. His words were a club with a eight balance that fits what he grew up playing and what he knows.

• Staff
Seemed to be hitting the Mavrik pretty darn well last weekend in his W on the Champions Tour. #PhilBeingPhil
I believe he was just over 50% in FIR and the average on that tour is about 71%

I believe he was just over 50% in FIR and the average on that tour is about 71%
But he was miles ahead of everyone hitting much less club into greens. When you want to hit bombs, that happens. Give and take.

I don't think a return of the frankenwood is going to be a mass used thing, but if it works for him, then go for it. As a diesel mechanic by trade, there are several "specialty" tools that I have in my tool box. We might have vastly different professions, but it's the same concept. If I can do a specific task with a special "fit for me" tool that you do with an off the rack job just as good or better than you, I would be stupid not to use it. Just my two cents.

He’s worried about hitting it further vs working on what made him really good 43 times: iron play, short game, sketchy putting.

I listened to Phil on Shane Bacon’s podcast today and he said he feels that his iron play, short game and putting were in a good place but he needs to be able to drive it straighter without losing distance to be competitive on the big tour.

I listened to Phil on Shane Bacon’s podcast today and he said he feels that his iron play, short game and putting were in a good place but he needs to be able to drive it straighter without losing distance to be competitive on the big tour.

I think he hits it far enough to compete on the pga tour. His other stats though are seem to be lacking

If it keeps him in play off the tee more often, it's probably a net gain for him. Driver is probably the least solid part of what is otherwise a pretty solid game for Phil.

The reason for the return of what he calls a 2 wood is because he is working with a 47.5 shaft in his driver.

I saw some crazy Sh$# when I was driving tractor trailer for a few years.

The reason for the return of what he calls a 2 wood is because he is working with a 47.5 shaft in his driver.
Yup, that’s what I meant by overlength in the OP. Was a good interview.

Phil is always tinkering. I never saw many golfers go to a 2 wood but I had an X2 Hot 2Deep that was a fixture in my bag the last 7 years until about a month ago. My season is over after early snow but I'm going back to the X2 Hot 2 wood next spring after a short experiment with a 13.5* Mavrik SZ. I've been using my driver more since putting my 2 wood on the shelf and my index is up a bit so the smart thing is to put it back in the bag and hit it about half the time off the tee instead of the driver. I can't get 285 carry out of mine like Phil but I average about 255 total yards with it and it's almost always in the fairway. Plenty long for the 6400-6800 tees I normally play.

Back