Phil Texted from the Course

Hanks

On the Fringe
Reaction score
Handicap
bOOBs
From golf.com

Phil sent a text to Commish Finchem complainig about fans snapping pics of he and Bubba all the time...wonder if it was 'this sux, c u l8r?'

DUBLIN, Ohio (AP) -- The biggest distraction Jack Nicklaus ever faced on the golf course was from a helicopter.
It's an old story, but Nicklaus chuckled while recalling the time he lost his concentration when a chopper flew over Cherry Hills in the 1960 U.S. Open and he three-putted for bogey. Two years later, Nicklaus had gone three rounds without a three-putt in the 1962 U.S. Open at Oakmont when a helicopter approached as he played the first hole of the final round. "I reverted and thought right back about it," Nicklaus said over the weekend. "It was the only three-putt I had in the whole tournament."

The issue at Memorial was cellphones, which contributed to Phil Mickelson withdrawing after an opening round of 79. Mickelson, Bubba Watson and Rickie Fowler mentioned the vast number of fans taking pictures with their phones, to the point players had to back off their shots.

Mickelson is not afraid to send a message to the tour - in this case, literally.

According to four people with direct knowledge, Mickelson sent a text message to PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem from the sixth fairway at Muirfield Village suggesting that a lack of policing fans with cellphones was getting out of hand. Mickelson withdrawing for what he called "mental fatigue" is not a tour violation. Players can withdraw for any reason after completing a round. Using a phone to send the commissioner a text is another matter, though the tour doesn't disclose any disciplinary actions.

If nothing else, one official said it got the tour's attention.

Mickelson doesn't mind taking criticism, even for pulling out of Nicklaus' tournament. He skipped the Tour Championship during a debate over the length of the PGA Tour season and decided not to play a FedEx Cup playoff event in the inaugural year to protest the inequity of the pro-am policy. Those close to the tournament host said Nicklaus wasn't bothered by Mickelson's decision to leave and never brought it up.

Last year, the tour began allowing fans to bring phones to the tournament so long as photos weren't taken during competition. There are designated areas to make calls. That's not going to stop fans from taking pictures, and most annoying are the people who don't switch the phones to silent.

Banning the policy isn't an option. The tour is moving forward in the digital age with programs to enhance the gallery's experience. Plus, the increase in attendance has been tangible this year. Nowadays, if fans can't bring their phones, they're more likely not to come at all.

The solution is to add security or volunteers to the two or three marquee pairings, and to take away phones from fans caught taking pictures (giving them a claim check to retrieve the phone at the end of the day). That's what happened on Friday, and there were no big incidents the rest of the way.

Read more: http://www.golf.com/ap-news/phil-mi...complain-about-cell-phone-usage#ixzz1x2DkD4gO

Interesting.. I would think asking them to leave would be better than taking the phone away. There is a lot of info on phones nowadays, passwords, etc. and if isnt locked, I would guess that could be an issue one day...

yeah I wouldn't go if I wasn't able to have my phone. I would be pissed but I would make it a point not to be distracting, and I would put it on silent, I also wouldn't take pictures during the swing haha

It might have worked. As I sat on #16 on Sunday (yes, I was there for Tiger's shot) the volunteer was screaming about cell phones before the players got up to the green and he had 3 phones in his hand which he emphatically pointed out that he would gladly add even more.

On a side note I was shocked at how much Feherty was texting when he wasn't talking. He looked like a high school girl with his cell phone.

Did anyone warn Phill about using his phone?

yeah I wouldn't go if I wasn't able to have my phone. I would be pissed but I would make it a point not to be distracting, and I would put it on silent, I also wouldn't take pictures during the swing haha

No Masters for you!

The rule is fine. Enforcement of the rule is the problem. And Phil is a whiny little biotch.

People can't be expected to last an afternoon without their cell phone? Good grief.

On a side note I was shocked at how much Feherty was texting when he wasn't talking. He looked like a high school girl with his cell phone.

That's interesting. Who could he be possibly be texting during the round?

The rule is fine. Enforcement of the rule is the problem. And Phil is a whiny little biotch.

What if I told you that 4 other players did the exact same thing including one rather huge star? Would you say all of them are whiny little bs? Or is it more to do with the fact that you dont care for said player to begin with?

I think it's kind of ironic that he complained about cellphone use with a cellphone.

I am not sure how I feel about this. I thinl that of the phone is not on silent and goes off in a tournament, it should confiscated. But if a fan wants to take a picture and the phone doesn't make a sound, who cares. It's kind a tree falling in the woods situation for me.

How come people are not smart enough to not snap pics during a golfers swing? Take a video!

For christ sake,A cell phone honestly doesn't need to be at the golf course,JMHO

At the 2008 USOpen Monday playoff between TW and Rocco, prior to when phones were allowed, I was made to Check-In my phone. Fortunately for me it was pre-smartphone days and a 2year old Nokia brick. After the event, the line to retrieve check items was so long that I had to leave my phone there so I could make it on time to the airport.

These days, the checked items line may not be the long, since only those getting caught are in the line. But, at the '08 playoff, security was working the entrance gate like newly-hired TSA agents. It was brutal!

And, I did notice at the 2 events I've attended this year, the signature holes had extra volunteers who specifically spoke about "No pictures" when each group got to the teebox.

It's the 80/20 rule, like everything else in life. 80% know how to put there phone on silent. It's the 20% who don't, or think they can ignore the rule. AND, those 20% have generally had 1 too many ice cold beverages to go along with their self-obsessed attitude.

For Phil to bypass, Volunteers, Security and Rules Officials and go straight to Finchem just shows you want a Prima Donna he is. Of course, maybe he did say something to them and they didn't do anything about it. Do we know if that happened? If so, I retract my previous statement.

Cell phone pictures are terrible anyway. I think limiting their use to certain areas would be a better solution, but who knows.

Humm...

I wonder if Phil has a smartphone? My understanding that any device that could provide extra information about the conditions (temp, wind, etc) are illegal during play. Iphone apps with GPS have been deemed illegal for this very reason.

I am not saying that I think Phil should be DQed (I REALLY dont), but it is an interesting double standard.

For Phil to bypass, Volunteers, Security and Rules Officials and go straight to Finchem just shows you want a Prima Donna he is. Of course, maybe he did say something to them and they didn't do anything about it. Do we know if that happened? If so, I retract my previous statement.

Yes, we do know that he went to officials and security first. We also know now (and are looking for 3rd confirmation) that more than a dozen golfers complained repeatedly about the problem. Rumor has it, that Phil sent the text and was supported by all of these players. That part is rumor and we are working on getting confirmation.

just hit the ball

I have people taking pictures of me all the time when Im playing, doesnt phase me one bit

yes, we do know that he went to officials and security first. We also know now (and are looking for 3rd confirmation) that more than a dozen golfers complained repeatedly about the problem. Rumor has it, that phil sent the text and was supported by all of these players. That part is rumor and we are working on getting confirmation.

udaman! Rock on, jb!

That's interesting. Who could he be possibly be texting during the round?

That's exactly what I was thinking.

In addition to my volunteer comment... I believe they were told to aggressively stop cell phones because he was so animated, and over the top, about it everyone in our area started joking about getting in trouble and going to golf jail until the tournament was over.

just hit the ball

I have people taking pictures of me all the time when Im playing, doesnt phase me one bit

I am so good, they take oil paintings of me. LOL.

This will be debated until the end of time, I am afraid. I don't know what the solution is, other than people having a bit of common sense and not trying to snap photos of these guys, mid-swing.

I think it's kind of ironic that he complained about cellphone use with a cellphone.

I am not sure how I feel about this. I thinl that of the phone is not on silent and goes off in a tournament, it should confiscated. But if a fan wants to take a picture and the phone doesn't make a sound, who cares. It's kind a tree falling in the woods situation for me.

That's how he wanted to make the point. He's notorious for these sort of things. When Phil wants to prove a point, he does it in awesome fashion. At least I think he does. He's pretty clever for a whiny little biotch.

Back