Philly Cheesesteak vs Chicago Beef Sandwich

Philly Cheesesteak or Chicago Beef Sandwich?

• Philly Cheesesteak

Votes: 49 79.0%
  • Chicago Beef Sandwich

Votes: 13 21.0%

• Total voters

GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
JB and I are watching some show about beef (Yes we like our food TV) and they are talking about the Philly Cheesesteak and the Chicago beef sandwich. I asked him which one he liked better and he said that was a tough question. I personally think they are both gross, but I am sure I am in the minority.

So, with all that said, which do you prefer?

The Philly Cheesesteak gets the nod here, but that beef sandwich from Portillo's was great! Throw in a chocolate cake shake and this is a whole nother ball game!

Homemade cheese steak with cheddar and spicy brown mustard please! Oh and yes to the mushrooms and onions!:hungry:

Philly cheesesteak. Every day. All day.

Picking a Chicago beef sandwich over a philly cheesteak is like picking deep dish pizza over a NY slice, it should never happen.

I just need to try one of each.....then I’ll make a decision.

I have never eaten a Chicago Beef Sandwich. I've had many Philly Cheesesteaks. I prefer mine with onions and some sharp provolone. I have had them with Cheez Whiz, but that was many years ago.

Its really close. Both are fantastic at what they are.

Philly please. I can't recall seeing a Chicago beef sandwich

Oh man, both definitely have their place and can both be phenomenal when done right. I think I'd go Philly Cheesesteak, simply because I don't love the wetness of an Italian beef all the time. The giardiniera you can get with the italian beefs are so good though.

These are honestly two of my favorite foods and I could go for either right now and be perfectly content.

Oh man, both definitely have their place and can both be phenomenal when done right. I think I'd go Philly Cheesesteak, simply because I don't love the wetness of an Italian beef all the time. The giardiniera you can get with the italian beefs are so good though.

These are two of my favorite foods though and I could go for either right now and be perfectly content.
You can get an Italian Beef "dry" - you know, if you're a tourist.

You can get an Italian Beef "dry" - you know, if you're a tourist.
Right. So...no you can't haha

And honestly, with as much time as I spend in Chicago, I think I've surpassed tourist status and couldn't do that if I wanted to.

Also there is no such thing as a "Chicago Beef Sandwich" it's an Italian Beef

Well, the guy from Chicago whose family invented the sandwich called it a Chicago beef sandwich so that’s what I went with. I don‘t really care what it’s called, I was just trying to make a random post that people could have fun with.

Completely different. But I’d probably go Philly.

I grew up in the Chicago area. It has been called an italian beef sandwich at least since the 1970's. A good italian beef sandwich is hard to beat. I like mine wet.

I'll go philly cheesesteak please

And I am aware they are different, that’s why it’s one vs the either. It’s one type of beef sandwich vs a different type of beef sandwich. All in good fun, just a random thought I decided to post on the forum.
I love the question, unfortunately it just made me very hungry haha. I think these are two of the top of the sandwich hierarchy if that's a thing.

I love both if done well. Personally think a crappy cheesesteak is better than a crappy italian beef if that makes sense.

If it was back when I was in College and going to philly on the weekends for cheesesteak, I’d give them the nod

however in the last 5 years I’m firmly a Chicago Beef guy

JB and I are watching some show about beef (Yes we like our food TV) and they are talking about the Philly Cheesesteak and the Chicago beef sandwich. I asked him which one he liked better and he said that was a tough question. I personally think they are both gross, but I am sure I am in the minority.

So, with all that said, which do you prefer?
I know what a Philly looks like, need a pic of the Chicago Beef sandwich.

Back