Philly Cheesesteak vs Chicago Beef Sandwich

Philly Cheesesteak or Chicago Beef Sandwich?

• Philly Cheesesteak

Votes: 49 79.0%
  • Chicago Beef Sandwich

Votes: 13 21.0%

• Total voters
I love the question, unfortunately it just made me very hungry haha. I think these are two of the top of the sandwich hierarchy if that's a thing.

The delicate food nazis are always watching...haha.
It came up as we watched a beef sandwich show and they had a member of the family that created it discuss his travels and how it came to be.

The delicate food nazis are always watching...haha.
It came up as we watched a beef sandwich show and they had a member of the family that created it discuss his travels and how it came to be.
Hey, food can make people defensive. I'm a member of the pro cheese pizza thread like yourself, but that's a rough one to bring up too haha. I think along with these two, these and a well made chicken parm are my top 3. Can't go wrong with either IMO.

I know what a Philly looks like, need a pic of the Chicago Beef sandwich.

I just grabbed a random image from the internet. It usually has a hot pepper medley called giardinaria and can be dipped in a beef broth/jus (but that is a preference).

7BE4A498-2E2F-45B8-A8F7-CEF9FA7F2DD0.jpeg

Hey, food can make people defensive. I'm a member of the pro cheese pizza thread like yourself, but that's a rough one to bring up too haha. I think along with these two, these and a well made chicken parm are my top 3. Can't go wrong with either IMO.

I love a good chicken parm, but meatball parm is my top pick.

I was referring to a few things in here Haha.
All in good fun.

I love a good chicken parm, but meatball parm is my top pick.
I can accept that. We just found an Italian deli by our house that has ridiculous meatball subs.

The proper Philly Cheesesteak is all about ribeye steak and a fresh-baked roll. The importance is in the roll. I always have said the roll makes the sandwich not just the meat inside. However, you also must have the cheese all melted into the sandwich. I am not a whiz guy, so the Pat's and Geno steaks are good, but I generally ask for provolone. The best in Philly is actually Fresh Works. But, most want to eat Pat's or Geno's.

The Chicago Beef Sandwich is made of Italian beef. I find Italian beef to be a step down from ribeye. However, if you get the proper roll again and smother in items like peppers and onions, I am not sure you will notice the difference.

If in the Philadelphia area skip Pat's and Geno's and head to the Fresh Works to get the best.

I can accept that. We just found an Italian deli by our house that has ridiculous meatball subs.

We have a small place like that just down the road from us too. The owners are straight from Italy and give classes on learning to speak Italian. Having a good Italian market is so important. I was just telling JB earlier that if I had to eat one cuisine for the rest of my life it would be Italian, it’s hands down my favorite.

I just grabbed a random image from the internet. It usually has a hot pepper medley called giardinaria and can be dipped in a beef broth/jus (but that is a preference).

View attachment 8924729
Looks great but I would have to leave off the jalapeno.

After having Portillo's for the first time last August with JB and Danny, I gotta go with Chicago. That thing was legit. Been craving one ever since.

Portillos Italian beef combo with Italian sausage and hot peppers. Wow!!!

0D36C32F-3F4D-4739-A689-AE53E81034A6.jpeg

I'm a big fan of both but give the nod to a Philly.

En route to philly now after seeing this thread to get cheesesteak for dinner

This thread is making me hungry!! Love the beef with peppers, but I've had one Philly (can't remember from where) in my life, and it blew my mind. It wins in a close one.

The proper Philly Cheesesteak is all about ribeye steak and a fresh-baked roll. The importance is in the roll. I always have said the roll makes the sandwich not just the meat inside. However, you also must have the cheese all melted into the sandwich. I am not a whiz guy, so the Pat's and Geno steaks are good, but I generally ask for provolone. The best in Philly is actually Fresh Works. But, most want to eat Pat's or Geno's.

The Chicago Beef Sandwich is made of Italian beef. I find Italian beef to be a step down from ribeye. However, if you get the proper roll again and smother in items like peppers and onions, I am not sure you will notice the difference.

If in the Philadelphia area skip Pat's and Geno's and head to the Fresh Works to get the best.

I think my favorite is just Outside of Philly in Camden, Donkeys Place.

The Philly Cheesesteak gets the nod here, but that beef sandwich from Portillo's was great! Throw in a chocolate cake shake and this is a whole nother ball game!

Agreed. I am an East Coast guy from New York, so I was introduced to real Philly cheesesteaks on my trips to Philly for the Penn Relays back in the day. Portillo's makes a fine sandwich but I would give the nod to Philly if I had to choose.

I’ve never had a real Philly cheesesteak so for that reason right now I will choose Chicago

Italian beef with mozzarella and sweet peppers for the win. I'd about kill for one right now.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Italian beef with mozzarella and sweet peppers for the win. I'd about kill for one right now.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
In all the years I lived in Chicago, I don't think I've ever seen an Italian Beef with cheese. Where do you find such a thing (it sounds like it could be awesome?)

I'd put a New Orleans roast beef po'boy against both of those any day of the week!!a

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

• Tony’s Italian Beef. 7007 S Pulaski Rd. On the very edge of the city in West Lawn.

Back