Philly Cheesesteak vs Chicago Beef Sandwich

Philly Cheesesteak or Chicago Beef Sandwich?

• Philly Cheesesteak

Votes: 49 79.0%
  • Chicago Beef Sandwich

Votes: 13 21.0%

• Total voters
Philly cheesteak

Philly for me......

Had John’s in Philly for 1st Time tonight. Well done I must say. Wolfed the whole thing down! Went sharp provolone and onions :)

7ca18ac6dfb4e238c4775bf6d046c5b7.jpg

Had John’s in Philly for 1st Time tonight. Well done I must say. Wolfed the whole thing down! Went sharp provolone and onions :)

7ca18ac6dfb4e238c4775bf6d046c5b7.jpg

John's Roast Pork is fantastic. Won a James Beard award awhile back for it's roast pork. Their cheesesteak is fantastic, but the roast pork sandwich is next level.

Both. All of them. Can we have a trip to just eat both the entire time?

Will probably defer to the cheesesteak since I have family in philly. But I love both.

John's Roast Pork is fantastic. Won a James Beard award awhile back for it's roast pork. Their cheesesteak is fantastic, but the roast pork sandwich is next level.

My mother had the roast pork but wasn’t for her. Also she thought it had some kick to it. I asked and they only use black pepper on it.

The shaving thickness on the cheesesteak was very good imo.

What really made it for me believe or not was the bread. Excellent bread. Well done there. Compliments well. Just enough crust for some crunch with seeding that pops on each bite. Really brings some extra level and depth to the cheesesteak flavor imo.

Last edited:
My wife just texted me that one of our friends from Chicago just had Portillo's delivered to our house.

F. YES!

I've never heard of a Chicago Beef Sandwich so I can't vote. I'm not a huge fan of Philly Cheesesteaks but there was a place in Austin, TX that I think went franchise called Texadelphia. They were right on Guadalupe behind the UT campus back in the 80's - what made them AWESOME were all of the different sauces they offered.

You'd get the fresh hoagie, a pile of meat and cheese; that was all pretty good as it was. But then you'd hit the sides bar with all the sauces and fixin's; it was a real treat!

Geno's or the stand diagonal from theirs. Wit, Whizz,Ketchup.............and a Birch Beer

I’ve got a Portillo’s less than 10 minutes from the house. All you have to say is “Big beef, sweet (sweet bell peppers) and dipped!

I’ve got a Portillo’s less than 10 minutes from the house. All you have to say is “Big beef, sweet (sweet bell peppers) and dipped!
tried Portillo's and imo wasn't impressed. yes sammy was good sized but, i'm looking for that Chicago Beef that has the gardenia and beef suggie to dip it in. c'mon Chi-towners i need some assistance. I have Niece/hubby & S-n-L close to Wrigley and apt on the river.........

I’ll be in philly for this upcoming weekend, going to try and hit up Johns roast pork, cleavers, and Steve’s prince of steaks

I’ll be in philly for this upcoming weekend, going to try and hit up Johns roast pork, cleavers, and Steve’s prince of steaks
Johns is one of the best👍 Jim’s on South St is awesome as well! Have fun

Actually had Portillo’s today - had to drive up to Tampa to pick up something from my lawyer and hit the Brandon location on the way back - very tasty sandwich

When in Philly hit up DiNic’s in the Reading Terminal market, the roast pork sandwich with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe is killer and as a native, friends don’t let friends get a tourist cheesesteak from Pat’s or Geno’s - far, far better options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had never heard of a Chicago Beef Sandwich before?
I think I'm leaning Philly style with the cheese and peppers, -not so much an onions guy. Chicago sounds like more onions?
Italian seasoning on the beef could be good though. I like lots of veggies on a sandwich too. Tomatoes, lettuce.

If you’re in Philly and want a great cheesesteak without going to the touristy Pats or Genos, try Chubby’s in Roxboro. It is the absolute best cheesesteak I’ve had from anywhere in or around Philly.

What the what? How is this even a conversation?

Back when I used to eat, I loved a good philly cheese steak. Used to make my own with ribeye and filet. Damn I miss eating.

I’ve never heard of this Chicago thing so 👎🏻

tried Portillo's and imo wasn't impressed. yes sammy was good sized but, i'm looking for that Chicago Beef that has the gardenia and beef suggie to dip it in. c'mon Chi-towners i need some assistance. I have Niece/hubby & S-n-L close to Wrigley and apt on the river.........
I was not impressed with Portillo's Either.

Way late to the party on this but is John's much better than Dinic's? Annoyed I never got around to trying John's roast pork.

3 years ago I’d say cheesesteak but now it’s all Chicago Beef!!!

Back